Notices

I thought I had this

Old 12-16-2016, 04:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I thought I had this

So, I had some time under my belt. I was feeling decent but not great and I decided I was fine and could moderate. A story we have all read on the forums time and time again, but I'm different... Not true, after a few days of "moderating" I was right back to drinking heavily if not even more extreme. Every day was a black out. Very disturbing to me and I'm disgusted. I have to make this work this time. Going to engage with the board and community on a consistent basis. Here's to a sober Friday and onward.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

let me suggest a slight edit from "I have to make this work..." to "I CHOOSE to make this work and am resolved to honor that choice with ACTIONS this time..."

Don't allow being disgusted. This experiment gave you clear evidence. Use the energy that you're channeling into disgust as a momentum toward choice and action instead.

You can do this.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EndGame

Okay, so maybe now you're more convinced than before that you need to get sober. If sobriety is what you want, then I don't get why you're disgusted by having to get it right this time.

What were you doing before to stay sober?
Old 12-16-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

probably disgusted by the fall, not the having to get sober?
Old 12-16-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
probably disgusted by the fall, not the having to get sober?
The fall.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Okay, so maybe now you're more convinced than before that you need to get sober. If sobriety is what you want, then I don't get why you're disgusted by having to get it right this time.

What were you doing before to stay sober?
This may sound strange, but going solo and not giving it power. It's an interesting concept my wife discussed with me. I listen to Alcohol Mastery daily and Recovery Elevator. They both have helped. But to be honest, I was struggling in my mind and I distracted those thoughts by staying really busy.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Haydentree View Post
This may sound strange, but going solo and not giving it power. It's an interesting thing my wife discussed with me. I listen to Alcohol Mastery daily and Recovery Elevator. They both have helped. But to be honest, I was struggling in my mind and I distracted those thoughts by staying really busy.
I appreciate the feedback for sure.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So, I had some time under my belt. I was feeling decent but not great and I decided I was fine and could moderate. A story we have all read on the forums time and time again, but I'm different... Not true, after a few days of "moderating" I was right back to drinking heavily if not even more extreme. Every day was a black out. Very disturbing to me and I'm disgusted. I have to make this work this time. Going to engage with the board and community on a consistent basis. Here's to a sober Friday and onward.
BTDT

I got the lesson finally, and just past 13 months sober now.
I will never drink again, and best of all, I feel good and happy about it,
not deprived or regretting the booze one bit

Start again and you can do it!
Laura
Old 12-16-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I was feeling decent but not great and I decided I was fine and could moderate. A story we have all read on the forums time and time again, but I'm different...
Sometimes writing that out so you can see your own words is very powerful. I'm glad you are back and working on making changes so you don't have to write those words again!
Old 12-16-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you're back. Learn from this. Up your game and go be awesome! And sober. Awesome and Sober!
Old 12-16-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Haydentree! Welcome back! Don't be too down on yourself. Try and have a sober weekend!
Old 12-16-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hey Haydentree,
first you thought you had this, then you thought you could moderate.

for me, putting action into place, actions i actually continued while thoughts came and went, built a better foundation.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi hayden

glad youre back

Old 12-16-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Haydentree having a plan based on acceptance is the way forward

Print out this thread & stick it in your wallet as a reminder ?
Old 12-16-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For alcoholics, moderating is but a dream. There was a guy a long time ago who kept a spreadsheet of his drinking habits after a long period of sobriety. He drank once, and the next time was around 9 days later....within 2 months he was back to daily drinking, all documented. I found it very interesting.

Its easier to quit altogether.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back

I have to make this work this time. Going to engage with the board and community on a consistent basis.
Thats a good start

D