Notices

Question

Old 12-16-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeSoSober View Post
If other people call someone an alcoholic, to me that strongly implies that the person is still actively drinking.
This may be your thing, but it does not imply that to most people.

When I tell people that I am an addict or alcoholic, they usually assume I am in recovery....and often ask for advice on dealing with a person in active addiction.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm not terribly offended by someone calling me an alcoholic, but I do think an alcoholic is really someone who has a problem with alcohol and continues to drink. I prefer the term recovering alcoholic, but I don't expect someone who has never had a problem with alcohol to necessarily understand the difference.

For me, I think I'll always consider myself a recovering alcoholic and recovering addict, because for me to be recovered would mean to me that I could use alcohol like a person who isn't an alcoholic. But, I may change my mind after I have many years of recovery under my belt, who knows.

I really don't care what words other people use to describe me though. Their words don't change me and they don't define me.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I call myself a grateful alcoholic.
Until I came to terms with it, I wasn't grateful.

We have a saying around here, it's alcoholism not alcoholwasim.
The chromosome missing in my body that causes me to not be able to control my drinking is still with me after numerous years of not drinking.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Words are tools, I think.

I think the good in calling yourself in alcoholic is surrender, and surrender is a great power. You admit that you need help.

I think the bad in calling yourself an alcoholic is defeatism, and defeatism is a great weakness. You accept that you cannot win.

It may depend on who you are and what you need. The value of SR seems to be the plurality of perspectives and the support it brings.

I personally agree that I need to surrender by calling myself an alcoholic and admitting I have a problem that I cannot fix. I can never drink, it always leads me to square one.

On the other hand I do not like to call my problem a disease or elevate it to some special level. We all have our demons, if mine is my desire to consume (and for me that can be food, alcohol, many things) then my friends might be something else. We learn to live with our demons, perhaps never kill them.