Notices

Is AA necessary?

Old 12-15-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Imo...AA didn't give me the information I needed right now to get sober.

It was cryptic and spiritual.

SR gave me the info I needed in a few minutes.

After that, AA was a place to see people like me.

My AA visits , maybe a dozen or so, over a 12 month or so period, left me feeling a bit like an outsider.

That makes sense.

When I spoke of my recovery, at the meetings, I always bragged about my online technique using SR.

What really got me over the hump was my long term anxiety that has nearly quelled to nothing.

I used that to not relapse.

It could have went the other way...if not for SR.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The range of what is necessary is so vast with addiction. I'm sure some people wake up one morning, look in the mirror and say "I'm gonna quit drinking today", and that's the end of it. On the other end of the spectrum you have people who have been through 6 detoxes and 4 rehabs and they still struggle.

Sobriety is your journey and you're the only one that matters. Keep posting.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I agree with Thomas, it depends on the individual.I tried to quit so many times and failed. I never gave up though and learned from each attempt. in the end I wanted to quit so bad SR was the final piece to get me there. AA would have probably have done the same but the desire to quit above all else had to be there first. The one thing I know is I would try anything to succeed
Old 12-15-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Don't not drink alone - seek the fellowship and sharing of a common kinship of suffering is what made a difference in my recovery and life. One alcoholic sharing the problem and a solution

When a program turned from needing to into wanting to I found hope - it's like not being able to put down a really good book. I just want to keep turning pages.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by NewRomanMan
Personally, I think just about any program will work to alleviate alcoholism if you put enough real elbow grease into it.
Define "enough real elbow grease". That seems a little vague.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'd say be open to anything and everything- I attended AA and NA and can most definitely see how and why it works for some, I took certain things from it and know that the door is always open should I ever feel the need or desire to return.

What I did have to get past though was feeling that if I didn't attend that I was somehow going to fail - I realise for me that it is truly from within and the desire to live a more comfortable and considerate life in sobriety - as I say it works for some but there are plenty on here too racking up the sober time and very happy with where their lives are heading and what the future holds without feeling that the only way to succeed is through the 12 step process. Fact is we all have the same goal and there's no 1 fix for all as with anything in life.

Give it a go and see if it's for you, might be the best thing you ever do but if it's not learn from it and carry on with YOUR sobriety.

Good luck with whichever path you take just believe in yourself and make it lead to where you want to be and where you feel comfortable.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cropduster74 View Post
I know the short answer is no, but have many of you had success without "meetings"? I am willing to try but I am very new at sobriety so was just wondering how you all feel about it? Thank you
My own experience has been that when I resisted AA and focused on the reasons it wasn't for me.... I kept on drinking and going further into addiction.

When I opened my mind to the potential that AA could have something to offer me, I included it as one of my tools, I read the Big Book several times and took from AA the things I felt would be helpful to me. I've been sober and happy and free for almost three years.

I don't know whether AA was necessary, but I know very deeply that it was a powerful part of my successful sobriety.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
My own experience has been that when I resisted AA and focused on the reasons it wasn't for me.... I kept on drinking and going further into addiction.

When I opened my mind to the potential that AA could have something to offer me, I included it as one of my tools, I read the Big Book several times and took from AA the things I felt would be helpful to me. I've been sober and happy and free for almost three years.

I don't know whether AA was necessary, but I know very deeply that it was a powerful part of my successful sobriety.
Same for me, 2 years of sobriety. Was AA a necessary part of my recovery? No, I don't think so. I had a LOT of motivation to quit, both internal and external. But I also recognized that AA could have something to offer, if I gave it a chance. And I was willing to do just about anything to stay sober. I have learned a lot in AA, and made some good friends. I don't go to a ton of meetings, but have found a couple that I attend regularly where the focus is on healing and moving forward in sobriety. The discussions are less about how miserable we were when drinking/using, and more about hope for the future. The tone of meetings varies widely. Some end up being one long drunk log, and others really work the steps and concentrate on ways to learn about ourselves and find deep serenity and happiness.

So if you go to an AA meeting and it doesn't sit right with you, try a few more. Don't give up after one or two.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

There are a lot of reasons and good tools that can help the alcoholic to stay sober but, they must be able and willing and make a firm decision not to drink anymore.

It's amazing how many never get to that point in time.

MM