Notices

Any bartenders trying to stay sober?

Old 12-15-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any bartenders trying to stay sober?

I realize it's a horrible job to have but it's my only option right now. In a home town of 200 people the only other job is gas station and it doesn't pay as well. I need the tips to support my family and keep my house as I work through cosmetology school. 4 months left! 😄

I already talked to my wknd coworker to help me, one who would usually encourage me to drink but seems to be understanding and would like to cut back herself.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I worked in a super busy TGIF for 10 years after quitting drinking. Absolutely possible.

It's just an inner decision. "I am not going to drink again, no matter what."

It was a real education watching the trajectory of peoples' night and their lives in general. Sad really, and it helped me to see and hear the stories of hangovers.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had a friend who was a professional performance bartender in Vegas. Sober for years. I was always amazed at that.

Another friend of mine was also trying to get sober. He was also a bartender. Haven't seen him around AA much lately... and his facebook posts don't seem to indicate he's doing all that well.

Seems like that would be pretty hard yards.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you are going to cosmetology school I assume you are going to do hair etc...and when you go to work I also assume you won't be cutting hair while drinking. Take the same attitude/approach to your current job. No matter how insignificant a job is, one can still approach it as a professional.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I work in a restaurant- right now serving- and it is an absolutely great situation. I'm a dedicated AA er and for me, the problem has been removed. I work a very hard program and that translates into everything I do in life.

It's a place where people do drink at work and of course after shifts. That's fine with me, I just don't hang around afterwards and just go do something else if a couple people are taking shots with a bartender.

It's also like an anthropological episode every shift watching the whole spectrum of drinking behavior. Much of it is great reason to never drink, for anyone not just an alcoholic.

For me, nothing matters more than my sobriety. Working around and serving alcohol is ok with me; I do also have support in a couple of sober managers (one a very good friend) and people know to various degrees that I don't drink and some know why.

Bottom line- we need to support ourselves and right now this is a safe way for me to do it. I work closely with my sponsor and am very active in a sober network so my job is just fine for me. I know it wouldn't be for everyone, so I'd say don't do it - even if you think that there's nothing else out there- if it would mean losing your sobriety.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
If you are going to cosmetology school I assume you are going to do hair etc...and when you go to work I also assume you won't be cutting hair while drinking. Take the same attitude/approach to your current job. No matter how insignificant a job is, one can still approach it as a professional.
That is the most ridiculously simple approach... how did i not think like that about it? Lol. Thank you... that really makes so much sense.

I had to stop into work today and told a cpl customers that I'm going sober and we're all so close in this little town... I think I have more support than I thought I would there. It's kind of relieving!
Old 12-15-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're finding some support at your work. That's great. And, I wish you well with your training and finding a good job in your field.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can stay sober doing anything, as long as you want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm glad you're finding some support at your work. That's great. And, I wish you well with your training and finding a good job in your field.
Thank you so much! ❤