Notices

Painful ramifications - GOUT

Old 12-15-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Painful ramifications - GOUT

I have two good friends - one in his early fifites, the other in his late sixties.

Both in the last 6 months have been plagued with gout. I'd never heard of gout. But it's apprently quite painful, based on the way they both limp around and complain and appear to suffer.

Now, neither of them are necessarily "alcoholic" - though both have along and regular history of drinking. I'm not sure either of them have gone for more than a few days without a drink in decades.

We can debate whether that "makes" them alcoholic or not - but I'm not here to judge that.

What did occur to me is that even though both of these great guys seem generally to have their lives reasonably together, don't encounter legal troubles due to drinking, have lives and families and businesses and jobs and pay their bills and keep things going.....

They also both have gout. And both are overweight. And both have other health problems. Neither are in the type of physical condition you would look to as impressive or even just "good" for their age.

It just gave me cause this morning to reflect - as I watched my friend hobble around in pain over coffee - how glad I am that I'm not able to "moderate" to just several drinks a day or 'keep it together' just enough to keep on drinking.

I'm 44. I don't have gout. I'm trim and lean and athletic. I am not in perfect health... but it's not bad, either. And I have good prospects of being around to watch my children grow up and have families and successes and goodness in their lives.....

Have a great sober day, folks.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The guy that does my nails has gout. I know he likes a beer or drink now and then but I think this is just a family thing in his case. Either way its pretty bad and I think the cold weather makes it worse.

I am lucky, so lucky, that alcohol hasn't hurt me more. It has effected my brain however and that's pretty scary. My dad has alcoholic dementia and frankly its really scary, not to mention sad.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeah.... gout isn't always an indicator of alcohol issues. In both these guys cases, though - their doctors have been harping on them to cut back the booze.

their 'solution'? switch from beer to whiskey.

hmm.... sounds familiar.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had it...from alcoholism...at the age of 31. OMG it hurt SO BAD. My feet felt like someone was stabbing me with knives. They were red and hot and swollen. Thankfully the gout and neuropathy went away completely when I quit drinking. When I was admitted to the ER for my last (Please God) detox they ran my liver enzymes and all were normal. 18 months off booze now and I am healthy as a horse. I'm glad I quit at a young age.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My father was a severe alcoholic and had the gout all the time. It is very painful.

I am glad I never got it.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have gout, alcohol especially beer can trigger really bad attacks, shell fish and large amounts of red meat are also big triggers. Not drinking and eating well and taking meds, will keep attacks to a minimum, but they will still come.
In my heavy drinking days I would get three or more attacks a year, usually in toe, and ankles, sometimes knees or multiple joints at same time. It is extremely painful. My brother who has 5 years sober has had one attack in 5 years. So if you need a reason to quit, gout is a great reason. Anyway just throwing in my 2 cents.