Notices

Newbie Day 9

Old 12-15-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie Day 9

Hi there. I'm 29 years old and have been over drinking for the last three years. Just thought I'd share my story as it may help others.(reading other peoples posts constantly for the last two weeks has certainly helped me) About two years ago I started drinking 4 tall boys every week night followed by larger binges with friends at the weekend.
About 4 months ago this got steadily worse, I found myself having 8 tall boys every evening and more if it was there. If I ran out of beer I'd start on my girlfriends wine until I crashed out asleep.
I think I drank to avoid mild depression and career related anxiety. I'm not proud of this but I think it was primarily vanity that made me quit. I woke up 14 days ago and looked in the mirror. My hands were shaking, I was trying not to gag after having my morning coffee and my face was red and swollen. I felt terrible and looked terrible. I had always been into running and fitness but hadnt done any exercise in a year.
I had been pretty ninja at hiding my drinking. My girlfriend knew I drank everyday but not how much and had previously expressed concern. I agreed with her but didn't do anything about it.
I don't know why it was that particular morning but I just said 'no more'. I had a dreadful hangover and would usually have a morning beer to get over it. I researched tapering and decided to do it. Day 1 I had four beers then reduced by one every day until 0. It was difficult, after having my only two beers I was craving more but had only bought two. I found I couldn't stop myself from drinking whatever was in the house but could stop myself from going out to buy more.
Even when tapering I noticed immediate improvements after three days. My stomach felt better, my visits to the bathroom 'normalised', my day sweats stopped, my face almost immediately started slimming and returning to a regular colour, a pain that I started to get in what I think was my pancreas started fading. My eyes have still not whitened completely but are looking far better. For me tapering and that first day fully sober were the hardest parts, full of anxiety, self loathing and craving, but I got through it by just soaking it up and focusing my mind on the end of the taper.
Now its day 9 and while I'm not back to full health, I feel awesome! I went for (painful!) 5k runs 2 out of the last three days and felt so great after it. I'm sleeping so much better and have started on all the tasks I was avoiding by drinking. I had lost weight while drinking but the last 5 days have been eating ALL THE FOOD. Serious sugar cravings but my diet is improving. I still crave beer most days, especially when stressed. But I just remind myself that waking up without a hangover is far more important.
I havent decided if I'm going to be sober for life. I do really enjoy having 2-3 beers with friends on a fri or sat night. So Im going straight edge until christmas and will try enjoying a few beers with friends without overdoing it. If I fail to limit myself I'll know I need to go stone cold for good. I think it'll be difficult but the fact that I can stop myself from buying booze means I can have a few with my friends(who aren't heavy drinkers) in the pub but go home to a booze free environment. At least I hope! Anyway sorry this is a bit long!
Old 12-15-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you Snowcappe87 you have found the right place dot worry about long posts write what you need to getting it off your chest will help & the site is open 24h a day 7 days a week there's a class of December which is everyone getting sober this December it's in this section

nice to meet you btw
Old 12-15-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi snow and welcome

congrats on 9 days great job!

i too got sober at 29 with the help of AA so it can be done

keep coming back!

Old 12-15-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome snowcappe and thank you for your post. I always appreciate reading detailed posts of people's symptoms/observations while drinking. It is a strong reminder of what many of us have been through....and why we decided to quit also.

Congrats on successfully tapering, no small task. I'm glad you've made it 9 days and are running again, its a great start.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Welcome snowcappe and thanks for the post. So relatable, in fact I could have written most of that myself.

Congrats on your 9 days, i'm glad you're feeling better
Old 12-15-2016, 08:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Your drinking was similar to mine. And I too work up a mess, just poured everything out down the drain and have been sober for 19 days now. The first 10 days were the toughest but it's definitely been get getting easier. Keep up the good work!
Old 12-15-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice job snow cap,
Sounds like your doing just fine. I do worry about you considering drinking again some day. i couldn't do that. I ended worse than before. Really think about that before you do it. Good luck