Notices

Thrilled to be sober this holiday season

Old 12-14-2016, 11:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thrilled to be sober this holiday season

Won't you join me?

I am headed back to the US for the holidays, the first back in two years. I cannot wait to see family and friends.
I am especially excited for some special plans I have made for my sons. I feel like, despite my heavy drinking, I have been an ok mother to them. I have always gotten stuff done- meals, baths, stories, etc. But my drinking really got in the way of being able to do the extras. I didn't have the energy, I didn't have the mindset to plan or carry out activities. But not anymore.
We fly into DC on arrival and I have decided to get a hotel there for two nights before travelling south to my mother's house. I am going to take them to the Baltimore aquarium one day and then the following day to the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History.
I am so excited for this. They have always had nice vacations with their father but I have never really done anything like this with them. It will be such a special time and I know we will make great memories.
Being of sober mind means I am totally organised too. I have reserved the hotel, printed out the train schedules, aquarium and museum information, looked up maps and walking distances, reviewed the 4D movie at the aquarium (we won't be seeing it, I think my little one will get scared), everything, just everything. I have a whole folder with all the print outs and reservation information. I've been to the bank to get US dollars, I've packed snacks and juice boxes so we don't have to stop at expensive kiosks, I have put together a mini first aid kit that I can take in my purse, all gifts are wrapped and packed, clothes sorted and packed.....
I just feel great and am so looking forward to this.
I'm not getting overly confident though, I know the wine cart on the airplane will call out to me (why is airport/airplane drinking such a thing?) I know there will be moments during the holiday season that I might have to fight cravings or the desire to indulge, but I'm going in strong and solid.

Does anyone else have special plans for the holiday vacation?

also....

Any recommendations for a nice restaurant in NW DC?
Old 12-15-2016, 12:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'm really happy for you Mera I know you have missed home so was thrilled to hear you & the kids are in the states esp over Christmas

Sounds like a great time your making for you & your sons what a great mom you are you bring back memories of my mom doing similar things and we loved her to bits it was awesome being around her seeing her with her zest for life back & I see that in you Mera & trust me your kids do too

Can't recommend a restraunt as I'm uk & I'm not sure what I'm doing for Christmas yet but we had it at home last year but I'm sure we will either be staying at friends & families or at least visiting a good few folk might do some volunteer work also this time of year I always think about the homeless x

Awesome post Mera xx
Old 12-15-2016, 12:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Very happy for you Mera! Have a great holiday and remember,
"It's A Wonderful Life"!
Old 12-15-2016, 01:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Mesa,

I am so glad you will be visiting family. Hope you have a wonderful trip!!

❤️ Delilah
Old 12-15-2016, 02:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds great Mera - have a wonderful sober time

D
Old 12-15-2016, 03:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SO incredibly happy for you Meraviglioso.

I, too, am excited about spending the holiday sober.

We aren't going anywhere - but I am planning a big trip this summer with the kids - so I know how excited you are in that regard.

For the holidays, I will be visiting with friends, and making supper for my family throughout the season...

And will continue to be the best mom I can be. :-) Just like you.

Happy holidays and enjoy your trip - so excited for you and the kids.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to DC!

Wonderful place to visit. It's my home! Restaurants in DC - many, many - what type of foods are you looking for?
Old 12-15-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living the life

That sounds wonderful! I'm sure your boys will love it. You are so organized, it sounds like you can take on any little challenges that pop up.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Sounds great!
Going to Washington DC and checking out the Museum and Aquarium will create some wonderful memories!

Bring your warm clothes! It's really cold throughout the US right now!
Old 12-15-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh, good for you!!! Have a wonderful time!!!

As for planes and booze...I boarded a flight on Thanksgiving day at 8:30 in the morning and I was stunned at how many people smelled like alcohol and not just from the night before, either. Oh the wine breath...gag.

It's quite motivating!
Old 12-15-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What a wonderful holiday you have planned, Mera! I'm happy for you.

I took my nephew to DC after Thanksgiving and it was a really nice trip. We didn't really go nuts on restaurants, though there is a small chain called Pain de Quotidien where we had some wonderful breakfasts.

Your boys also might really enjoy the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. (You, too.)
Old 12-15-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's great Mera. I can read your excitement. The kids will have a great time at the Natural Museum too. Isn't it cool being kinda 'normal'? Haha! I'm always God Smacked by my seeming normality. Of course that fades over time but I can always find gratitude!

Oh god the wine cart. I remember flying to Paris sober and that damn cart...up and down. Clinking bottles. I know that wouldn't phase me now but back then it drove me up a wall. I wasn't in acceptance during that period. I was an angry sober person. Ok a dry drunk and it was hard. Bring those head phones. Have lots of snacks and stuff for the plane. Maybe the 12X12, if you go in for AA!

Have a great time and report back.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mera, it sounds like you have a wonderful time planned for your children and you. I hope you enjoy visiting with family and friends at Christmas.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Hi Mera. I hope you have a wonderful holiday. I did want to forewarn you about your wrapped gifts. Don't be surprised if you are asked to unwrap them at security. It could happen. Hopefully not.

CF
Old 12-15-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Very happy for you Mera. You've been through a lot.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Juno11 View Post
Wonderful place to visit. It's my home! Restaurants in DC - many, many - what type of foods are you looking for?
Hi! I know there are a ton to choose from. The most important thing for us is location. I'd like to stay in the NW area where our hotel is. The only thing I definitely don't want is pizza/pasta/Italian! And no fancy wine bars, please :p
What do you recommend?
Old 12-15-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
T Isn't it cool being kinda 'normal'? Haha! I'm always God Smacked by my seeming normality. Of course that fades over time but I can always find gratitude!

Yes!!!! Exactly! I just feel so normal! I have been laying in bed at night thinking "this is what normal people plan all the time"
Old 12-16-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Mera - NW is kind of huge!

Without knowing exact locations, I can recommend Georgetown and Dupont Circle for walking around and checking out places to eat/pop in.

Also:

Old Ebbit Grill (near White House - classic American fare, cool place, historic)

Lauriol Plaza in Dupont Circle - popular Tex Mex Place (might be fun!)

Cactus Cantina on Wisconsin Ave is fun (I do like Mexican!)

Oh there's too many to list - lots of new places keep popping up, too! I hope you have a great time!!! You will
Old 12-16-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Also, if you're interested in doing something holiday-ish - check out the Gaylord Hotel on National Harbor. They also have very cool things around the holidays - your kids may love it! Lots of cool ice sculptures I would like to go myself!
Old 12-16-2016, 11:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Juno, do you know if non US citizens can visit the White House? I checked the website but couldn't find any information. I was thinking of maybe doing that. My kids have dual citizenship but my boyfriend only has an Italian passport. It is just an idea, not so sure the kids would be into that.