Notices

Need support

Old 12-14-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need support

Hi everyone - I'm back home since Monday after successfully completing 26 days in rehab, which was a wonderful, life changing experience. I took one day off, found an AA home group to do the 90 in 90 days, secured a temporary sponsor and started outpatient therapy. Today, my second day back, I headed into the the office this morning as my business partner was covering for me while I was gone. After arriving, he briefly updated me on the activity going on, since we are right now the only two employees in the business. He then promptly handed in his resignation. He said he just couldn't handle it anymore and found another job, assuring me he wouldn't be competing with me, honoring his non-compete. He gave two weeks notice but I told him to leave and I would pay him for the remainder of the month. It was like a train hitting me - I was and am still in shock. This was a guy I hired when he was going through a divorce with nothing to his name. I gave him great raises and a stake in the business two years ago.

In tears, my husband came to the office and locked down everything from an IT standpoint. He then realized my partner had wiped out everything on his computer, other than his work emails - all work documents, spreadsheets and Google drive. My husband then emailed asking for access to these documents. No word back.

I made it through the day not drinking. I need to make it through tomorrow not drinking. I know it's been no picnic working with me during the couple of times my drinking has affected our business relationship but I'm generally a kind, good person and boss. Maybe too kind. The day before I went into rehab and we were discussing his plans for covering for me, he asked when he would get his Christmas bonus. Maybe I hired a person who was a self-centered jerk all along, became a jerk over time or I made a jerk with my drinking.

I am committed to sobriety and won't let this derail me. But I'm feeling very hurt, upset and betrayed. Any thoughts?
Old 12-14-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You didn't MAKE anyone the way that they are by drinking. Let him go out of your mind.. maybe he is creating space for someone better to come in to that area of your life. Sure it's trite but it's true!
Old 12-14-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like he wouldn't have been someone you could really count on, so ultimately maybe better he's gone. It's entirely possible this was in the works before you went to rehab, hence him asking about the timing of his bonus.

It's unfortunate you have to deal with a crisis so soon, but now you have the tools. I think you'll be surprised at how well you can handle this sober.

Sending you a hug.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you have to deal with this now - your former partner has lousy timing.

I'm absolutely confident you can get through this sober tho - with support from SR and elsewhere, like AA or whatever is your method of choice.

The one way you *won't* get through it is by drinking.

D
Old 12-14-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Everything is going to be fine. You can do this. We have your back!