Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I have no family left and I'm feeling very bitter and don't want to drink

Notices

Old 12-14-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am divorced with two kids, 10 and 12. I've long been estranged from my heroin addicted sociopath sister. I had two aunts left but one pitted me against the other and I've had to cut them out of my life. Well, honestly they made the first move on cutting me out of their life. They are also not geographically close to me. One lives across the globe. I only have a stepdad now, my mom passed away two years ago. I feel so alone especially at this time of the year. Today one aunt sent the other a Christmas card to our home as this is where she gets her mail delivered. There was no Christmas card for my kids and I. It was quite upsetting to me and I very quickly got colitis from the stress. I laid down in bed and just really feel bitter about the world right now. I though about quitting social media altogether as it's upsetting to see all the couples and families on there all the time, and accepting my lot in life. I have my kids yes, about half the time, but it's sad for me as well that they don't have much family either. Their dad is a foreigner who has no family in this country. I just feel that everyone is a jerk out there and I am better off just being a hermit and yet I worry about slipping back into drinking. It's been 24 hours since my last drink. I guess I just needed to vent and ask how you do this when you feel bitter about people and life?
Old 12-14-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you can shift your perspective. What can you do to help you and your children have a better Christmas? My best suggestion would be to take your kids to a Soup Kitchen where people will be looking for groceries before Christmas. They are likely to need help sorting and packing food. And take the kids out on Christmas Day to service a meal to homeless people. Your children are an age where they are aware that there are people who have no one at Christmas, no money and no food. Why not start a new tradition in your family?
Old 12-14-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How about a gratitude list?
Old 12-14-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

☝☝☝☝☝

Couldn't agree more with Anna .... Bravo!!!! 👏
Old 12-14-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also have some weird and painful family situations this Christmas so similar to what Anna suggested, I'm busying myself with collecting clothes, blankets and food for homeless folks and also their pets, which helps me to not dwell on negative stuff so much and also takes up time that I'd otherwise be tempted to drink. Plus folks could really use the help, it's cold here! I figure helping them out is more in line with the spirit of Christmas anyway.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This time of year can be hard on people. So much emphasis on family and friend get togethers. Those of us with alcohol dependent people in our lives know a different holiday reality. Peace.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Prayers to you.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I think you can shift your perspective. What can you do to help you and your children have a better Christmas? My best suggestion would be to take your kids to a Soup Kitchen where people will be looking for groceries before Christmas. They are likely to need help sorting and packing food. And take the kids out on Christmas Day to service a meal to homeless people. Your children are an age where they are aware that there are people who have no one at Christmas, no money and no food. Why not start a new tradition in your family?
This is brilliant advice Anna I've wanted to do this at Christmas for the homeless as they weigh heavy on my mind esp this time of year

Our local council got rid of our local soup kitchen because it was apparently attracting 'undesireables' in the area I find that ironic for anywhere in inner city London & I think I checked 6 months ago

Going to check again & local areas too
Old 12-14-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hugs to you.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that things are rough for you truthseeker.

The thing to remember is drinking just won't make any of that better - it really won't.

I'm not doing to try and tell you you're wrong to feel that way but the truth is drinking made me bitter about everything...being bitter made it easier to keep drinking because - who gives a rats right?

We have to

I look back now and wonder how I could have missed all the good things in my life.

I hope you have a great Xmas with your kids

D