Notices

Blood sugar

Old 12-14-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blood sugar

Hello SR Community!

I'm quickly approaching the finality of my drinking career. Hoping to get to a meeting on Monday (my son will go back to his dad's until Christmas afternoon on Monday). But, really I'm finally ready to tackle this beast. I don't have insurance so going to the doctor (particularly after the hit of Christmas on my finances) isn't really an option for detox advice. Nor is taking time off of work, as I went home early yesterday and am out today with a fever. But, I think one of the things I'm most concerned about is my blood sugar bottoming out...sometimes during the day it does so and even eating a healthy meal doesn't bring it back up. Have any of you experienced this and how did you deal with it? If I'm suddenly chowing down on candy and drinking sugary drinks at my desk it's going to raise questions as that is far from the norm for me. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-14-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know anything about blood sugar but I'm glad you're here. I'm sure someone here knows. Keep posting and reading.It helps.Tom
Old 12-14-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's the holidays. Lots of people have more treats this time of year.

Do you really think you're going to get quizzed about eating more? I think you may be imagining things. I know my paranoia and imagination were pretty ramped up at the end of my drinking and in early recovery.

Do what you need to do. Eating more is common in early days, and coffee and cookies are pretty much staple items at AA meetings. That desire will die down if it isn't pre-diabetes or some other health problem.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Paranoia, I don't think so. We have an open office with no walls...the owner of our company sits directly beside of me, our desks are 5' apart. My boss is dieting and trying to lose weight and continually compliments me on my healthy eating habits. He did AA and NA many years ago, and only drinks when his wife is out of town, but he's definitely an alcoholic. I know he can see it (alcoholism) in me, but it is unspoken. He knows if I have a panic attack, I have a drink. But, I don't want to have a blatant admission to him. He would understand, but it would create a lack of trust. I DO NOT want that. I have an amazing job. Just looking for covert ways to prevent the bottoming out of my blood sugar. I'm likely pre-diabetic as there hasn't been a time in the last 5 years that my blood sugar was below 105, but that's do to alcohol, not eating habits, weight, etc.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't think you have to say anything at any time to anyone unless you want to.

He can make all the assumptions he wants. He most likely is not going to ask something like, "Hey, I noticed you're eating more cookies, is that because you're an alcoholic?"

Even in the unlikely event that he says anything, what's wrong with saying, "I felt a little unsteady and was hoping sugar would help."

Seriously, he's not going to quiz you. If he does, just don't talk about it. Shrug and be quiet.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by HopeSprings View Post
Hello SR Community!

I'm quickly approaching the finality of my drinking career. Hoping to get to a meeting on Monday (my son will go back to his dad's until Christmas afternoon on Monday). But, really I'm finally ready to tackle this beast. I don't have insurance so going to the doctor (particularly after the hit of Christmas on my finances) isn't really an option for detox advice. Nor is taking time off of work, as I went home early yesterday and am out today with a fever. But, I think one of the things I'm most concerned about is my blood sugar bottoming out...sometimes during the day it does so and even eating a healthy meal doesn't bring it back up. Have any of you experienced this and how did you deal with it? If I'm suddenly chowing down on candy and drinking sugary drinks at my desk it's going to raise questions as that is far from the norm for me. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
Low blood sugar is common in withdrawals, but there's really no way to officially diagnose it without seeing a doctor. There may be free or low cost clinics in your area. And regarding taking time off, you just said that you took a day and a half off for a fever, if it really comes down to it you can take a day or two off for dealing with detox related issues, no?
Old 12-14-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you are in the US, the open enrollment period to get insurance coverage is open now, and I think ends tomorrow (the 15th) which would be a very good idea to give a call.
If not, most areas have free to sliding scale clinics to get yourself checked out, rather than guessing medical conditions, especially if you haven't gone in, in quite a while.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Hope,

In my case, flu like symptoms were part of the detox.

I craved sugar. I still do.

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Put some Orange Juice in a stainless steel sipping cup. Put in several teaspoons of sugar ( not sugar substitute). Sip on it anytime you feel your blood sugar starting to get low.

If you go the Candy route, those gummy, sugary fruity slice candy gets sugar in to your system pretty fast. the orange ones were my go to.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I don't think you have to say anything at any time to anyone unless you want to.

He can make all the assumptions he wants. He most likely is not going to ask something like, "Hey, I noticed you're eating more cookies, is that because you're an alcoholic?"

Even in the unlikely event that he says anything, what's wrong with saying, "I felt a little unsteady and was hoping sugar would help."

Seriously, he's not going to quiz you. If he does, just don't talk about it. Shrug and be quiet.
This made me laugh! Thank you for making it simple...unfortunately, our relationship is much deeper than a "shrug and be quiet"...we've been working together for 18 years and he refers to me as his 'work wife' but I'll try to divert attention. Thank you again!
Old 12-15-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ooona View Post
Put some Orange Juice in a stainless steel sipping cup. Put in several teaspoons of sugar ( not sugar substitute). Sip on it anytime you feel your blood sugar starting to get low.

If you go the Candy route, those gummy, sugary fruity slice candy gets sugar in to your system pretty fast. the orange ones were my go to.
Thank you, this was what I was looking for! Orange juice is a great recommendation and adding sugar to it...brilliant! I'm thinking I may keep some M&Ms in my desk drawer too.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Maybe look at snacks which keep your blood sugar stable through the day. Swetts juice chocs etc will just peak and dip it.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopeSprings View Post
Thank you, this was what I was looking for! Orange juice is a great recommendation and adding sugar to it...brilliant! I'm thinking I may keep some M&Ms in my desk drawer too.
OJ and sugar used to be a detox staple! All the detoxing drunks would be walking around with their sippy cups lol! When I was in the early days this is what I did as well...sip sip sip and God knows it also helped with my habit of always needing a drink in my hands! I only needed it for the first couple days, after that I went to flavored and sparking waters and yummy ( vanilla chai is my favorite) hot teas.
If you're still shaky after the first week or so, Id see a MD to check your blood sugar and other physical stats, make sure theres nothing else wrong.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Maybe try to stave off needing the OJ (although it's good to have around) by eating a protein-rich breakfast with some whole grains and then keeping up on the protein and healthy fats through the day with raw nuts, string cheese, peanut butter, low fat milk, cottage cheese...

My hypoglycemia has all but disappeared at nearly a year sober...if I forget to eat it's not a crisis and I can still function...albeit crankily.

You can do this!