Notices

14 days and I never knew just how bad

Old 12-12-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

14 days and I never knew just how bad

I knew I drank more than normal. I knew I drove drunk and hid it. I didn't realize until last night I've had several accidents because of it. I knew I wrecked, but I never made the connection because I was never caught and someone always bailed me out with the repairs.

I never realized how bloated and bad I looked until it started to fade. My husband told me I look beautiful. My skin is clearing up and becoming soft again.

I never realized how much my daughter hated my drinking until I saw the change in her these last couple of weeks. She laughs more now and looks me in the eye.

I never realized how much I enjoy getting dressed in the mornings and putting a nice outfit together for work because my midsection was always bloated and I always felt dizzy and full of anxiety in the morning.

I am gaining so much I never even knew I was missing. I don't know what brought me to this page 2 mondays ago, but I know what keeps bringing me back. Thank you all.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Amazing how much denial most of us lived with when we we were drinking. And amazing how many positive changes sobriety brings. Keep coming back!
Old 12-12-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well said. I actually had a similar thought this afternoon. That I had to be somehow blind to how bad my problem was because if I saw it clearly and seriously, I would've stopped a long time ago. Alcoholism is just INSIDIOUS.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

That's wonderful!

These thoughts will keep you going strong!

I too am amazed how much better I look (and feel) !
Old 12-12-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 12-12-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep SR is a powerful tool. Everyone is so awesome. Good for you!
Old 12-12-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 2 weeks Banana

D
Old 12-12-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I feel like I am building an arsenal against ever going back again. I can't believe how much I was missing
Old 12-12-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are doing great! If you're looking and feeling good now, just wait until you hit 90 days, then 180 days. If you stay the course it will just get better from here. I felt lots better 14 days in. Now I'm six months in, have lost over 30 pounds, blood pressure is normal, skin better than it's been in 20 years and that nasty bloat is long gone. Most importantly I feel a heck of a lot better in the inside and that always improves how we look on the outside.

I too did the drunk driving thing for years, I too had well meaning people bail me out of trouble and I knew towards the end my luck would be running out. I was damn near suicidal so I wasn't worried as much about hurting myself but the idea of ruining someone else's life is one thing that's really helped me stay sober.

Your post really struck a chord with me. I'm glad you're here. The best is yet to come.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's part of what is so insidious about alcoholism...it's progressive nature; it sneaks up on you. Nobody is a normal drinker one day, and then guzzling a bottle of vodka like Gatorade the next day. Gradually, day by day, week by week, heavy drinking, and the attendant short-term consequences, become the normal state of affairs, and you don't even think about it. So when you stop, and those consequences are gone, or at least diminish, it feels great, if a bit startling and maybe even frightening.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Really good post, and congratulations on your two weeks
Old 12-13-2016, 03:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bananas44 View Post
I knew I drank more than normal. I knew I drove drunk and hid it. I didn't realize until last night I've had several accidents because of it. I knew I wrecked, but I never made the connection because I was never caught and someone always bailed me out with the repairs.

I never realized how bloated and bad I looked until it started to fade. My husband told me I look beautiful. My skin is clearing up and becoming soft again.

I never realized how much my daughter hated my drinking until I saw the change in her these last couple of weeks. She laughs more now and looks me in the eye.

I never realized how much I enjoy getting dressed in the mornings and putting a nice outfit together for work because my midsection was always bloated and I always felt dizzy and full of anxiety in the morning.

I am gaining so much I never even knew I was missing. I don't know what brought me to this page 2 mondays ago, but I know what keeps bringing me back. Thank you all.
You inspire me. This is my first day.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for your great post and congratulations on your first 14 days Bananas!
Old 12-13-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Great post! Realizing how oblivious I had become to the damage my bad behavior was causing was definitely an eye opener.

You're doing this!
Old 12-13-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am 50 days sober today and I have noticed many physical changes.

I also lost 25 pounds since I quit drinking.

It will only get better.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Living the life

Great post! I am also in early days and I love the physical changes/improvements in my life. Congrats on two weeks
Old 12-13-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Franklin3 View Post
You inspire me. This is my first day.
Stay with it, it is so worth it. I'm here if you need anything ☺
Old 12-13-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fantastic post, Bananas! Denial is such a huge part of alcoholism and I really understand what you mean. The clarity that sobriety brings is huge.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopeandFaith1 View Post
Sounds like you are doing great! If you're looking and feeling good now, just wait until you hit 90 days, then 180 days. If you stay the course it will just get better from here. I felt lots better 14 days in. Now I'm six months in, have lost over 30 pounds, blood pressure is normal, skin better than it's been in 20 years and that nasty bloat is long gone. Most importantly I feel a heck of a lot better in the inside and that always improves how we look on the outside.

I too did the drunk driving thing for years, I too had well meaning people bail me out of trouble and I knew towards the end my luck would be running out. I was damn near suicidal so I wasn't worried as much about hurting myself but the idea of ruining someone else's life is one thing that's really helped me stay sober.

Your post really struck a chord with me. I'm glad you're here. The best is yet to come.
Thank you for your reply. It is truly so rewarding and I had no idea what I was missing
Old 12-13-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You can't fool your kids. They see right through. My 11 year completely shut down on me for awhile. I now feel that trust and openness coming back when I see that twinkle in her eye. I am glad that you are getting that back Bananas. You are definitely on the right track!