Notices

Day 4 Reminder

Old 12-12-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 Reminder

Hello SR friends -

I am on day 4 after a very trying weekend, now at my very stressful desk job (which I am blessed to still have). Trying to keep up with a lot of stressful obligations but have to interrupt myself to remember to do things like eat lunch and drink water.

I wrote a list of reasons I need to never drink again on Saturday when getting a "plan" together. But I think it might be helpful to hear some of those reasons from my fellow sojourners. I just looked at my soccer app to see if there was a match on later (that was my AV actually thinking of a way to get me to go sit in a pub instead of dealing with what I've got on my plate ...)

So how are you all getting through today sober ?
Old 12-12-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there Spartanman. Most of my reasons for not drinking were selfish ones. I had gotten to where unless I drank all day, every day the withdrawals we're awful. And even as awful as they were, it still took years and years of that before I quit. I'm glad it's seemingly over for now at nine months sober(knock on wood!). Stick with it! It does get better.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me I decided I finally wanted to quit more than I wanted to use. The price became too high. Days of hours or moments of being high or drunk were no longer worth the consequences, the guilt, the lies, the hangover, the withdrawls, the time wasted that I should've been spending with my family, the spans of lost memory, the constant destruction of my body and mind, the time trying to hide from God, losing touch with my friends.

I decided none of those things were more important than being a good mom, a good wife, a good friend, having good health, a relationship with God, and happy memories.

I'm thankful every morning when I wake up and every night when I go to bed that I don't have to believe the lies that my evil, painful, selfish addiction were telling me any longer.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey spartanman, boredom is a staple in early sobriety. I know that you may want to hear that, but its just a fact. It goes away, and I have no reason to not be truthful with you (or anyone). I'm glad to hear you are reminding yourself to eat, that's important.

It's been about a year for me and I still have periods of boredom. I'm sure I was bored before as well, but didn't notice it as much because I was drunk. Drinking passes the time, no doubt about it. But that's about all it does. Stick with it man! You're doing well.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I get through every day by remembering how things were, and why I don't want to go back to the way I was. I find things to be grateful for - I have healthy kids, a nice home, a job I like, a running vehicle, and enough money to do fun things when I want to. I have my health. I have my life (which I might not, had I continued drinking). I find things to do that distract me and keep me busy when I have free time. I take care of myself by trying to eat well, get exercise, meditate. I connect with other sober people whenever I can - here, and in real life. I go to AA. I thank my higher power that all of this is possible.

That's how I get through today, and every day.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Spartanman,

My reasons for quitting, too, were fairly selfish. In addition to the horrible withdrawals which had already put me in the hospital twice, I began to realize that whenever I was not working (i.e. my free time) was spent either drunk, sleeping/passed out, or hungover/withdrawing. This was the time I was supposed to be living and enjoying life. My life, such as it was, was quite literally passing me by as either slept or nursed a hangover, or was too hammered to care. A couple of more "incidents" and I was also on the way to losing a high-paying job with great benefits. My family was also worried, but I think they were afraid to sort of confront me about it, so I did the math and decided it was time to quit. Then after a few tries where I would get a couple of weeks to a month sober here and there, I realized I couldn't do it on my own, so I got help. Did rehab and some AA back in March, and I haven't looked back since. Best of luck to you, friend.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can really relate to each one of these experiences. I am also tired of wasting my life being drunk or hung over every day ... If I drink today I will feel "better" for about fifteen to thirty minutes and spend the next two to three days an anxious, sick mess. Going to focus on the good things in my life that I am grateful for and power through for the rest of the day. Starting to understand the term "white-knuckling" on day 4, I have been chomping down some serious cravings today
Old 12-12-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Another thing that helped me is finally realizing, if I give in today, I have to do day 4 all over again. As well as the first 3 days!
Old 12-12-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If I keep drinking, it will kill me, but before that happened it would ruin my life. I can't lose another job and my home because of alcohol. And I'm not married, so I don't have that "safety net" of a second income. And the withdrawals are pure hell. I should done this years ago. The writing has been on the wall for a very long time.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Two major reasons..

First is my health... I knew if I continued to drink ...I would be literally killing myself.

2nd is my wife and kids deserves a sober man.