Notices

another obscure but important thing to consider

Old 12-12-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

another obscure but important thing to consider

So I've recently been trying to purchase life insurance.

Among the effects of my long term alcohol use was the fact that from an early age, I developed a wicked case of GERD.

Though I've been sober 3 years, it remains a problem. Yet another reason to get caffeine out of my diet altogether.

Anyway, along with GERD (especially when it develops young) can come a thing called Barrett's Esophagus. This is a condition which in relatively rare cases can develop into esophageal cancer.

So as a result of having "pre-barrett's" (a few spots where the cells of the lower esophagus evidence some changes in a concerning direction) - the premium that I was quoted nearly tripled to almost $500 a month.

ANNNNNNDDD.... so I won't be getting Life Insurance.

Things we don't really think about when we're young and bullet proof but that come back to haunt us when we are older and beginning to take a serious look at providing for our family.

There's a very good chance had I stopped drinking much younger, I wouldn't be in this position. Here's hoping I don't die before my kids are grown.

Think long-term, folks. There are ALL kinds of ramifications for drinking. And ALL kinds of benefits to sobriety.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, FO. I have life insurance which I am paying a LOT of money for so I thought I'd apply for the policy offered at work. And I thought I would also sign up for long term disability insurance. Never investigated either option in the past because I was an irresponsible drunk who couldn't be bothered.

I just got a letter in the mail denying me coverage for both long term disability and for life insurance because I self admitted that I had done inpatient treatment for alcoholism in October 2012. Been sober for 3 years now but nope.

I feel your pain. I'm going to appeal their decision. I understand the business reason for turning me down but it smarts. And it could dissuade other people from seeking treatment because of the stigma.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was wondering about that Ruby. When I read this I thought "I've been in the hospital umpteen times for detox, as well as multiple rehab stints". I have other plans in place for my daughter, stuff I took care of before I retired, but life insurance has been on my mind.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Yikes! I had no idea! The life insurance I have through work isn't a lot (enough to cremate me and maybe a few thousand for each kid) but I didn't have to answer any health questions. I've also been to treatment. No health issues because of drinking. I had no idea I could be turned down for policies because of choosing to do the right thing for my health and family for the long run. Ridiculous.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry to hear the insurance premiums are that high FreeOwl I really am that sucks

Have you heard of the alkaline diet I don't think it's a diet in the normal sense of the word but it's about going from acid to alkaline my friend is always telling me it's having some effect a lot of my vegetables are organic & he's told me to stay away from tofu (I thought it was healthy it isn't)

You might want to check out some information on Dr Sebi

Btw This is a excellent thread for young alcoholics FO
Old 12-12-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fortunately, I also have a group life insurance policy at work.... one that doesn't require medical exams or depth of medical qualification that non-group ones require.

SO.... in the unlikely event I kick the bucket before the kids are grown.... there's coverage through the employer.

However, that silver lining comes with a curse; it means greater pressure to remain with the company (or some large firm that offers a GLI option) for another 18 years.

But, at nearly $500 / month it just isn't a viable investment. I'm better off planning that I will continue to have employer-based life insurance for another 18 years, and instead invest money into my 401k, our budding small rental business and other pursuits to better my overall financial position and just keep intending not to die early.

Or rather, intending to honor my commitment to this life of 100years.

It was a little jarring. And it's just another one of those things that in my 20's and 30's I didn't even give a thought to. I now wish I'd bought a 30 year, $2M life insurance term policy and a half million dollar whole life policy at age 20. Alas.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.... for those of you who are facing this thing young - there are reasons beyond those you've even begun to consider for choosing sobriety NOW.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well you have given a lot of people food for thought myself Inc FO & I thank you for it
Old 12-12-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

FO, have you shopped around? That sounds steep. I don't know how old your are but I think those monthly premiums start to creep up when you are in your late 40's. I had 1M policy when I had my business, but then everything went to hell and we had to make major budget cuts and no longer have it. I am trying to provide some financial security for my wife by getting the house paid off (if I die, she'll be back in California before sunset!), and then will look into a roth IRA. I dunno.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah. I've checked with a couple companies. This was through a Veterans association. The quote prior to medical results was very competitive. The barrets thing made it soar.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
I just got a letter in the mail denying me coverage for both long term disability and for life insurance because I self admitted that I had done inpatient treatment for alcoholism in October 2012. Been sober for 3 years now but nope.
This is part of the loss of standing that comes with "getting help" for addiction. It you received insured care for addiction treatment, you would be in the big bad centralized insurance database, known as the Medical Information Bureau, but since you self-disclosed, you will probably be in there anyway now.

If you believe that addiction treatment is reasonable or necessary, always pay cash, never use your health insurance, and tell no one. The ATI loves to bait unsuspecting customers with the idea of free money, but insurance money is not free money when it comes to addiction treatment, and if you use it, you will be discriminated against for life.

By all means, quit drinking and drugging, but always keep it to yourself.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Into the Void

As much as many recovered addicts have their "Come to Jesus" moment and want to adopt honesty as their policy, I can't recommend disclosing your past sins to insurance companies, government agencies, employers and the like unless you really have to. Once you get classified a certain way in their database, you may be a marked person for life, with real significant disadvantages.

Sorry for your problem, FreeOwl. Here's betting you're going to live way past that 20 years of the policy and be glad you didn't have to waste your money on it! Even if your past triples your chance of getting cancer, there is still a very small probability that that policy would ever pay out (not talking about whole life of course).
Old 12-13-2016, 02:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
This is part of the loss of standing that comes with "getting help" for addiction. It you received insured care for addiction treatment, you would be in the big bad centralized insurance database, known as the Medical Information Bureau, but since you self-disclosed, you will probably be in there anyway now.

If you believe that addiction treatment is reasonable or necessary, always pay cash, never use your health insurance, and tell no one. The ATI loves to bait unsuspecting customers with the idea of free money, but insurance money is not free money when it comes to addiction treatment, and if you use it, you will be discriminated against for life.

By all means, quit drinking and drugging, but always keep it to yourself.
Every time someone comes in for medical care anywhere, there will be a record of it. Even if paying cash it's still there.
That is what's messed up with pretty much all insurance is they punish you for using what you pay for.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hate anyone to read this thread and decide not to seek medical help tho.

I wish I had - I'd be in a lot better health right now.

D
Old 12-13-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

It's a trade-off. I needed treatment. I could not afford to pay for it myself. I used insurance to pay for it. So, I'm "marked for life." I'm lucky in that I have a state government job, no questions asked for me to have health and life insurance. But if I ever lose this job, God help me. I have about 14 years to go until retirement - I'm going to hang on for dear life and hope for the best.

I really didn't know what the future ramifications of going to treatment were when I chose to do it, but I don't think I would have done it differently, had I known. I might be dead by now if I hadn't gotten help, and alive and sober is much preferable in my eyes to leaving my kids with no mom.