Notices

Thinking of IOP, or another program. Any advice?

Old 12-12-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thinking of IOP, or another program. Any advice?

Still struggling with active alcoholism. I really want to add onto AA meetings and SR. I don't want to go thru insurance and I'm wondering if out of pocket is crazy expensive.
Are these programs a huge help in recovery or does it just boil down to my own desire to quit?
Any information, advice, personal stories would be very appreciated
Old 12-12-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by LifeChanges View Post
I'm wondering if out of pocket is crazy expensive.
The twelve steps of AA are free. Have you thought finding a sponsor and working them?
Old 12-12-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

every single program/recovery method is helpful for those that work them.
every single program/recovery method isn't helpful for those that dont work them.

all I had to do was put as much effort into recovery as I did getting my next drink, which that effort was the program of AA- not just attending meetings, but working the steps and learning how to put the principles into action in my life.
for me it wasn't just a desire to quit- I had that quite a few times in my existence. it was being sick and tired of being sick and tired-wanting to stop drinking , wanting to not be what I was any more, wanting to learn what makes me tick and get rid of the baggae in my melon, and willing to do whatever was necessary for that to happen- even if that meant standing on my head in the middle of the road gargling peanut butter.

the program of AA didn't save my life. I didn't have one- I was only exisiting.
the program of AA gave me life - a pretty darn good one.
that doesn't mean everythings always sunshine, daisies, and unicorns. but I can get through the problem spots of life today.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think Tomsteve sums it up.

As far as the cost, they vary like crazy. I went to a dual diagnosis facility I don't even want to say what it cost. Thankfully I have insurance. I'm not sure what the IOP program I attended for a couple of weeks cost....I did find, however, that since I was feeling pretty stable at that point my time was better spent in AA, than in an IOP. That was just me.

I do know that places will negotiate big time. I think they like not using insurance but they will ask for a payment upfront. My experience was half the total cost.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

My feeling is that it comes down to your motivation. The actual plan you follow to become sober will work as long as you are motivated, and it likely won't work if you aren't. I hope you find something that works for you.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I think prices for IOP programs vary widely. I can understand not wanting to go through insurance, but you'll have to call around to different programs and see how much they cost. I know I paid almost $1000 out of pocket for my IOP program, and that was WITH insurance. But it was a 6-month program. About 2 months of three 3-hour sessions for week, and then 4 months of one 2-hour session per week. So my out-of pocket expense was all co-pays and deductible. I don't even know what I would have paid if I had to pay for it myself. So check around. If you really want it and fee like you need it, you can find a way. Even if that way is to go through insurance.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

It sounds like you want to quit if your already in AA my advice is like others have said is getting a sponsor & doing step work find someone who has a few years or more (up to you personally) I asked the guy who took me to my first meeting & were still in touch today

I suggest getting a copy of living sober & a big book those were my first two books in sobriety & living sober is a great starter to the big book there's lots of others too and you know you will always have SR here night or day

You were spot on when you said does it come down to my desire to stop

Yes my friend it does don't give up on yourself you can do this
Old 12-12-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
waking down

Some counties provide free outpatient programs to their residents. The local health department could help with that. Many use CBT programs, and if there is one in your area SMART recovery groups are free and are based on CBT.

One thing that occurs to me is are you looking for additional support, or are you thinking you could benefit from therapy?
Old 12-12-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Zero, I want additional information and support and yes, therapy would definitely benefit me. I just thought some sort of group recovery in addition to AA meetings would be helpful for strength and accountability
Old 12-12-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

not sure where you are here in texas the state funded my detox and rehab stay through a program called BACODA
Old 12-12-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

AA will do everything you want and need if you work with a sponsor, follow their advice and follow the steps. Those who fail are those who don't work the steps and don't want to put in the work necessary to change their lives.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hellrzr View Post
AA will do everything you want and need if you work with a sponsor, follow their advice and follow the steps. Those who fail are those who don't work the steps and don't want to put in the work necessary to change their lives.
Honestly I'm so afraid to find and/or pick a sponsor. I'm so particular. And I've heard so many u successful stories. I want this so much tho
Old 12-12-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Don't be afraid, be excited! Go to a few different meetings and in a short time you'll see the people who come early and stay late and attend the meetings you do. Find one of those folks who have some decent sober time and have worked the steps, or are at least on step 9 (that one seems to always take everyone awhile to complete). Ask one of them if they would be wiling to be your temporary sponsor and show you the ropes. Believe me, you will be helping them much more than they will be helping you!

Also don't worry about being particular. Your best thinking got you in the place you are in today so maybe it's best to let someone else do some thinking for you and you just need to follow their guidance for awhile. Find an active sponsorship line and you will be fine if you follow their advice. Also, this isn't like you only get one chance to pick someone. If you find that you don't get along with a sponsor you simply thank them for helping you but that you are going to try another sponsorship line. It happens all the time.

You will also find that you will try to seek out a person who is buddy buddy with you but you really don't want that. You NEED someone who is friendly but will call you out on your BS and won't put up with your crap. Trust me, that person will save your life and not the person who agrees with you and just wants to be your buddy.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Also don't worry about being particular. Your best thinking got you in the place you are in today so maybe it's best to let someone else do some thinking for you and you just need to follow their guidance for awhile. Find an active sponsorship line and you will be fine if you follow their advice. Also, this isn't like you only get one chance to pick someone. If you find that you don't get along with a sponsor you simply thank them for helping you but that you are going to try another sponsorship line. It happens all the time.

You will also find that you will try to seek out a person who is buddy buddy with you but you really don't want that. You NEED someone who is friendly but will call you out on your BS and won't put up with your crap. Trust me, that person will save your life and not the person who agrees with you and just wants to be your buddy.[/QUOTE]

Wow thank you hellarz, thanks, that makes this a lot less intimidating. Thanks to all who took their time to respond. Really need this
Old 12-13-2016, 04:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeChanges View Post
Honestly I'm so afraid to find and/or pick a sponsor. I'm so particular. And I've heard so many u successful stories. I want this so much tho
it works if ya work it so work it youre worth it.