Notices

Irritated and angry at myself for relapsing

Old 12-11-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Irritated and angry at myself for relapsing

So, im really irritated with myself , its 8 days today but I cant help being angry that after five and a half months of sobriety I then drank for three months solidly to put me in a position where I had to give up 8 days ago and go through this early sobriety withdrawal all over again.
I suppose if there is a positive its that I taught myself that I cant moderate and therefore, logically, I shouldnt need to try that experiment again.
I know we shouldnt wish are lives away but just wish i was 90 days down the line where i know i become a bit more settled in sobriety.
Just feeling a bit all over the place at the moment, i always find life and living a burden due to various mental and physical health problems and im fed up of trying and never succeeding in anything, never feeling cared for, never reaching my potential, never being happy- although my previous time sober did make life better so maybe it will this time as well.
Just a bit confused and scared at the moment. Im seeing GP on thursday so will have a good chat to her.
Look after yourselves and stay strong and sober
Old 12-11-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Being angry at yourself is a pretty normal reaction - but it's wasted energy - it changes nothing.

Why not use that energy towards making a new recovery plan?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 12-11-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jtmlk,

I really look up to you for catching yourself and coming back. When I started again it took much longer than 3 months to re-admit that I was a prisoner to the lack of decision to drink. I tried to play the game but I had the same results as you and everyone else. My only advice is to stay on top of this. Stay strong and don't give up. As Dee said, be positive on your decision. It makes you very strong to be here.

I think I will follow Dee's advice to form a plan myself. I believe a lack of a plan is what always gets me down the road.

SC
Old 12-11-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Certainly a good lesson. It is very useful to know what the problem is and how serious it is in order to find a solution.

A serious problem needs a serious solution, needs that is probably going to involve change and effort on your part, and maybe even doing things you don't want to do. But there is nothing about getting sober that is remotely as difficult or horrible as an alcoholic death.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am glad you are back. I have felt that way many times in the past. My last day one was January 1st, and I remember feeling angry at myself for being in that situation again, but those days slowly built up, and now I am a few weeks away from a year.

Spend some time looking at Dee's link about plans, even if you already have one it doesn't hurt to add new tools to your toolkit.

Keep posting on here, it really does help.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jtmlk View Post
I suppose if there is a positive its that I taught myself that I cant moderate and therefore, logically, I shouldnt need to try that experiment again.
I think a big part of recovery is learning about yourself and part of that is learning what you can and can't do. Don't beat yourself up. Now you know😃
Old 12-12-2016, 01:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Don't focus on it it's happened the best thing is moving forward
Old 12-12-2016, 01:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep at it. Prayers.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep moving forward and learn from your last relapse.