Notices

Insomnia...ugh

Old 12-09-2016, 11:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insomnia...ugh

Anyone up?
I'm on day 1 and can't sleep at all. Anyone have any tricks? I work tomorrow and really could use the sleep. My mind is filled with anxiety, guilt, and shame. I can't seem to stop obsessing over it all.

Thanks,
K
Old 12-09-2016, 11:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kyng

we have members from all over the world so there's always someone around.

Unfortunately insomnia is pretty common in the early days.

I never used to sleep at all for a few nights after my last drink and then things got progressively better from there - of course your mileage may vary

I understand the guilt the shame the fear and the regret but ...That's in the past - you're doing everything you can to be different now

There are some good common sense tips here that may help?

10 tips to beat insomnia - Live Well - NHS Choices

D
Old 12-10-2016, 12:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Dee's list is really good.

I also had insomnia for the first few days. Then it tends to die down. It's because your body is completely out of whack. I hope you manage to get some sleep soon.

Camomile tea helped me a little bit.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had a lot of trouble sleeping for the first few weeks.

- cutting all caffeine after 2pm
- a whole pot of 'mothers little helper' tea from Davids Tea (containing chamomile and valerian root, which are calming but non-addictive) before bed
- playing guided sleep hypnosis videos on YouTube as I fell asleep

I would still lay awake for around an hour, but it was better than being up all night. I'm sure there are tons of other sleep tricks, but those were mine
Old 12-10-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there - ugh yes I had it bad too along with sugar cravings - it will get better! Even with less sleep, it still feels great not to be hungover, right?
Old 12-10-2016, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day one will suck, lol. Anytime I quit I had to expect no sleep for 2-3 days. Since then, there's medication that will make the transition much easier. See a doctor before you quit to make it both easier and safer. Hope that is any help!
Old 12-10-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about the lack of sleep. It's pretty miserable and seems overwhelming. For me, the sleepless nights started out strong and tapered off after months and months. In addition to the terrific ideas of others, again, for me, many times nothing helped. I started to embrace those awake times in the middle of the night. I could read around on SR or read a book or get a snack, all in peace. In other words, I gave in. I still felt awful the next day, but was/am less frustrated with the whole thing! Congrats on your decision to get sober!
Old 12-10-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sober style

I'm still having some insomnia 6 months in. Not ideal, but not the end of the world either. I try not to dwell on it too much, that doesn't help. I sleep when I can, get up and do other stuff when I can't. Sure makes me grateful for the sleep I do get!
Old 12-10-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I had three things that kept me awake at night. The first was my alcoholic way of thinking which often put me in conflict with those around me leading to resentment and fear.

The second was the skeletons in the closet, vague memories of my appalling behaviour, memories that sickened me and I hoped would never see the light of day. Shame, no one is as bad as me. Fear of being found out.

The third was the people I harmed. What would I do if a saw so and so. Waiting for the tap on the shoulder. Guilt, remorse, fear.

This was a heavy load, too heavy for me to carry, and time alone would not fix it. Sooner or later I knew it would force me back to the drink.

The solution involved identifying those flaws in my character ( alcoholic thinking) that caused my failure. Understanding I was my own worst enemy. Then I got all the skeletons out of the closet and gave them a good airing. They lost their power and something else, positive, took their place. I slept like a baby from that moment on. Next I faced the people I had harmed and made amends where I could.

Now all I need to do is keep the slate clean, and I have no trouble sleeping.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in there kyng! Good bedtime routine helps... I read...... meditate.... strong bedtime tea... pray....take care of unresolved issues.... forgive yourself and others.... let go of resentment...address any physical issues ... keep your bed nice/comfy...try not to worry over things you can't change... think positive... love yourself... love others....take care of the skeletons like gottalife said... you can do this!!!
Old 12-10-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Kyng!!