Notices

I am extremely bored

Old 12-08-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am extremely bored

Hello,
I had been 60 days sober and everything was good. Then i drank for 3 days and stopped drinking again. Now its my 22nd day but it seems harder than the first time. I am full of anxiety which doesn`t seem to go away and i am really really bored. I can`t seem to enjoy anything in life like this. I don`t crave for a drink or anything. But it seems life is too dull like this. I wonder what is so different this time
Anyway, i just had to let it out...
Old 12-08-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Being bored sober is so much better than the alternative.It will pass. Don't drink today is all that matters.Hang in there.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi, and congratulations on 22 days sober. I do think it gets harder each time we try to stop drinking. Finding things to do might help your anxiety. We have a great list here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 12-08-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What did you used to like to do when you drank?
Old 12-08-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Boredom is being stuck in the Department of Motor Vehicles for five hours with nothing to read.

What you are describing sound more like withdrawals coupled with the sober alcoholic's discontentment with sobriety.

Sometime we just have to press on and do something despite our "not feeling like it."
Old 12-08-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have to agree with doggonecarl. It takes some getting used to life in early sobriety. The boredom is normal, but it will get better. Part of it is just getting our brain chemistry back to normal after drenching it in pleasure producing chemicals for so long. As your brain heals biologically with time, things will look better and the boredom will start to pass, but you have to do your part in the meantime. Try a new activity, get some exercise, pick up a hobby again that you may have enjoyed in the past. Be patient with yourself, and just focus on staying sober. It will bet better.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
What did you used to like to do when you drank?
Interestingly since i got sober i realized that i don`t have an hobby and i don`t like doing things sober which i liked doing drunk. As an example i realized i don`t like watching movies.
When i was drinking i used to drink and watch movies or series all night long.. Or go out with friends and drink and chat for hours. Both of which doesn`t interest me anymore..
Old 12-08-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blackened83 View Post
Interestingly since i got sober i realized that i don`t have an hobby and i don`t like doing things sober which i liked doing drunk. As an example i realized i don`t like watching movies.
When i was drinking i used to drink and watch movies or series all night long.. Or go out with friends and drink and chat for hours. Both of which doesn`t interest me anymore..
Heh, that was the same for me. My biggest trigger for a drink came when I would sit down in the evening to watch a movie. I had done that for years and years. It does pass. I'm fine with a regular soda and popcorn now.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

what did you do for fun BEFORE ya started drinking?
are ya bored or lazy? theres ALWAYS something to do and whether or not its boring is all in my head.

HOWEVER

sobriety being new, its probably going to take time to learn what ya enjoy.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upstairs View Post
Heh, that was the same for me. My biggest trigger for a drink came when I would sit down in the evening to watch a movie. I had done that for years and years. It does pass. I'm fine with a regular soda and popcorn now.
Did you also feel like movies were boring right after you stopped drinking ?
Old 12-08-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
what did you do for fun BEFORE ya started drinking?
are ya bored or lazy? theres ALWAYS something to do and whether or not its boring is all in my head.

HOWEVER

sobriety being new, its probably going to take time to learn what ya enjoy.
How much time did it take for you to learn have fun without being drunk?
Old 12-08-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Boredom is being stuck in the Department of Motor Vehicles for five hours with nothing to read.

great job on 22 days
Old 12-08-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When i was drinking i used to drink and watch movies

Me too.

Then when I got sober I had to go back and rent a bunch of movies because I couldn't remember how they ended.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness Blackened83, I feel so much like you.

I feel bored and not into movies or TV series like I used to watch while drinking but in a way, I am unable to focus. I feel like my thoughts are flying everywhere. I'll start one show and then flip to something else in the hopes that it will hold my interest. Not sure if you are feeling this way, or just plain bored. I get it though.

I keep looking for other ways to occupy my time, but so far I haven't come up with anything earth shattering.

I guess we just keep plugging along. Congrats on 22 days.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I sat on the couch for a while after I got sober until I realised I didn;t have to do that anymore.

Get out and so something, anything - the worlds your oyster

D
Old 12-09-2016, 12:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If your depression and lack of interest in life persists, have you considered having a medication consultation with a doctor? I know many people in recovery who have greatly benefited from antidepressants while in recovery. It made a huge difference in their lives.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shellshocked444 View Post
Oh my goodness Blackened83, I feel so much like you.

I feel bored and not into movies or TV series like I used to watch while drinking but in a way, I am unable to focus. I feel like my thoughts are flying everywhere. I'll start one show and then flip to something else in the hopes that it will hold my interest. Not sure if you are feeling this way, or just plain bored. I get it though.

I keep looking for other ways to occupy my time, but so far I haven't come up with anything earth shattering.

I guess we just keep plugging along. Congrats on 22 days.
I used to get emotional on some scenes or felt like i am living them.. I mean i really really enjoyed them..
But now they are just dull scenes for me, unreal, means nothing for me
Old 12-09-2016, 12:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreedomCA View Post
If your depression and lack of interest in life persists, have you considered having a medication consultation with a doctor? I know many people in recovery who have greatly benefited from antidepressants while in recovery. It made a huge difference in their lives.
I am already using anti depressants.. and getting help from a doctor. First time i quit they were working just fine but now they don`t.. Maybe my body needs to adjust again..
Old 12-09-2016, 12:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

In recovery infancy- I was totally alone- no family, supports, nothing. I was horribly bored. Firstly I knew drinking would not help. I knew my brain was waking up and my body was VERY p=off with me. Saw a doc to get screened- medically and for depression. Now on A-D's, they make a big difference. I got bored with being bored- so I spent every waking hour finding anything. ANYTHING to alleviate boredom- including church, cup of tea after church, library (daily), checking community noticeboards/newspapers for activities, art galley, LOTS of walking. Watching doco's on utube (might as well learn something while I was bored). Even tho I thought it was crap- I tried art. I love it and actually do pretty decent stuff. I tried gym- I thought that would be crap and now am making progress. I see a psh'ologist- yep thought , crap- progress. I am doing study, did not want to- doing it, it's ok. You need to make yourself find stuff. Anything- go for a walk somewhere safe and different- write a list. Do community volunteer work. Go to an AA meeting- find a home group, a sponsor. Turn up early- help set up, greet people, set out coffee/food stuff. Set outchairs- then after wash dishes, talk, mingle- get phone numbers. Try going to different places for meetings. PJ
Old 12-09-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

This quote is relevant to the OP and others struggling with boredom:

The amount of satisfaction you get from life depends largely on your own ingenuity, self-sufficiency, and resourcefulness. People who wait around for life to supply their satisfaction usually find boredom instead.
--William C Menninger