Notices

Waking Up

Old 12-07-2016, 10:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Waking Up

Anyone else notice that early sobriety feels a lot like waking up after sleeping through your alarm?

All things that should have been done while you overslept (the same things that you may have been sleeping to avoid in the first place) become pertinent once again?
How long has it been since I hung out with those friends?
My house sure is a mess.
I could use some exercise.
I really should get more done at work.
I should be there for my family more.

For me, it can be a really overwhelming experience.
It feels wonderful, because I can get those things done.
But it can also lead to burnout, when trying to do all of those things at once (like when you rush out of bed to get your day started, or waited until the last day to do your assignment), which can of course lead to relapse.

Perhaps the solution is to not try to do everything perfectly at once, just to do things better than before with the intent of achieving your goals at some point.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I felt the same way, especially with work related tasks.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes
Old 12-08-2016, 02:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi SN,

This is very true. In more general terms every time you are trying to achieve a big change it initially looks bright and positive, then once you get things going you realise there is a lot more work to do than you thought originally.

I have a simple rule for that. Early on my recovery I wrote down my end goals for everything I want to change, and every single day I have to be one step closer to at least one of them. Now, 4 months later, the steps are starting to add up!

I look forward to hearing you progress, you got this!

P
Old 12-08-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think that's why I like lists in the beginning. I can take stock of everything, then break it down into daily junks, mark things off and feel accomplished. And stuff that felt daunting in the beginning is just part of my day now. Its embarrassing to even type that my relatively simple life could ever be viewed as daunting.....ugh.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

SaviorNomad,
You really hit the 'nail on the head' with this post! I so related to it.
Thank you!
Old 12-08-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi savior thanks
Old 12-08-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One day at a time, Sobreity isn't a sprint, it's a marathon, we don't have to have everything figured within the first month or even the first year, so go easy on yourself!!

Keep pushing through!!
Old 12-08-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Starting in first gear, so much speed. So much torque!
Will it be like this forever?

Oh dear, I'm approaching redline!
Does that mean its time to stop?
No, time to shift to second!

Ah, that's better.
But things aren't as fast as first.
What now?

Keep driving.

Oh dear, redline again.
Time to shift to 3rd.
3rd has even less torque than first,
but look at how fast I'm going now!
30 mph!
I was just at 0.

4th
5th

6th gear
Moving steady
No fast acceleration, my speed is steady.
Now lets keep it here for awhile...
Old 12-09-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've only managed one day in the last two week of not drinking.

But just that day showed me how bad I've let things get. I'm terrified when I manage more, that I will recognize even more how bad it's become...
Old 12-09-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I think that's why I like lists in the beginning. I can take stock of everything, then break it down into daily junks, mark things off and feel accomplished. And stuff that felt daunting in the beginning is just part of my day now. Its embarrassing to even type that my relatively simple life could ever be viewed as daunting.....ugh.
Yep. At the beginning, I made a list of only three things to do every day. I haven't looked at that little journal book in awhile (I know it's around somewhere!) but I know it had plenty of days where "eat 2x; make the bed; walk the dog" were the kind of things on it. Whole different ball game now, and it evolved over time. And it's still OK if some things don't get done til the next day, or even the next week (or month, in one instance I can think of for myself). They'll get done and things will become easier.

I still break things down into do-ables, and have a big planner now that has space for lots of stuff. Sometimes, I still have to just "shut it all off" and realize I am done for the day. I anticipate this will keep evolving as I listen to and learn myself better and better.

I also acknowledge when I feel pressure to do things- this particularly applies to spending time with friends. I have loved expanding my social world again- I started re-entering and approaching folks around 100 days, which is when a lot of things seemed to shift for me- but I am still careful with my time and commitments so I don't get overextended.

Keep going! You can do it.