Notices

Getting Closer

Old 12-05-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting Closer

Hello Everyone!

It's been a while since I have posted. For those that you know me, I am 195 days (or a little over 6 months) sober. This is the longest I have gone without drinking, since I started drinking. The move back in September went well and we are liking our new house a lot better than the old. I am now 33 weeks (or 8 months) prego and everything with the pregnancy/baby is going well. All the tests and checkups have come back normal. I seem to have it pretty easy besides the occasional back pain and Baby James seems to be growing good with no problems.

I would be lying if I said that drinking never crosses my mind, and I wish that was true. Honestly, I would really like to have a beer when I come home from the hospital. But why? To celebrate? This is something I need to really work on before Baby comes. I will be nursing so I know I will not be able to drink more than 1 or 2 anyway. The thought of getting drunk with a newborn terrifies me.

There's also my husband. He is sneaking a beer (tallboy or two) and I thought it was only here and there, but the other day he mentioned that he was going to try not to drink that day, which made me realize he's been doing it everyday. And after that he made a scene while trying to pick out a Christmas tree at a farm (we rode separate with family). Apparently, he had gotten drunk on the way to the farm. His behavior/breakdown was not only embarrassing, but hurtful and exhausting. This was the day after Thanksgiving. Things have slowly gotten better in our relationship, but we have some rough patches still with his anger and I am afraid drinking is just going to make it worse again. I know that I'm not perfect either.

For those of you that don't know me, know this. I was struggling with drinking everyday and thought I would never get past day one, or one week. But I did. I feel so much better. I quit smoking (although being pregnant helps). People tell me how good I look, even pregnant!! My finances have gotten better. Business has been slow lately, and I only have $5 cash right now, but I have everything I need. And instead of obsessing over the $5 that it won't be enough for beer today, and trying to figure our how to get more $, it will stay in my wallet for a while, until I really NEED something. You CAN do this. It seems impossible at first, but can be done.

Thanks for reading and I hope everyone has a good holiday season. The new year is just around the corner.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your pregnancy and sobriety! Think of what you want for your child in the long run. Drinking mommy or sober mommy? If I could go back and redo the past, I would've chosen b a lot sooner than I did. Consider this a head start on a new, sober life.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations!

You know you can't control him, you can only control you. Your baby needs the best possible start and you drinking would make that impossible. I suspect when you get home you'll have so much on your mind that drinking won't even make an appearance, but good for you for planning ahead.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Jillian x
Old 12-05-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So good to hear you're doing well. Can you really have a couple drinks when you're nursing? I never drank during that time but I thought that abstinence was encouraged.

"His behavior/breakdown was not only embarrassing, but hurtful and exhausting. " Well, at least it wasn't you! I know that when I drink I'm hurtful and exhausting. I'm glad I don't have to do that today!
Old 12-05-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So happy for you Jillian, you made Sobreity happen!!
Old 12-05-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

will be nursing so I know I will not be able to drink more than 1 or 2 anyway.
watch that AV. The best for bub has to be no drinking at all, surely?

You have some time to devise a plan for when bub comes and your no longer pregnant

There are some great ideas here to get you started?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
D
Old 12-05-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 6 months+ Jillian
Old 12-05-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats Jillian! I am glad you and the baby are doing well.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
So good to hear you're doing well. Can you really have a couple drinks when you're nursing? I never drank during that time but I thought that abstinence was encouraged.
So I read in "What to Expect When You're Expecting", that an occasional drink is okay, and of course my AV turned that into 2 drinks.....
Old 12-07-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
So I read in "What to Expect When You're Expecting", that an occasional drink is okay, and of course my AV turned that into 2 drinks.....
Yep, you should have picked up the other version of the book "What to Expect When You are an Expecting Alchoholic" ;-)

Kidding aside, congratulations on a healthy and safe pregnancy! you hit the nail on the head when you said this

"Honestly, I would really like to have a beer when I come home from the hospital. But why? To celebrate? This is something I need to really work on before Baby comes. "

I think the sooner you get working on this the better, these last couple months will fly by sooner than you think! Have you give any thought to what you might do? Spending more time here could certainly help. Did you ever attend meetings of any kind? Or talk with a counselor perhaps? All of those things are options. You could even confide in your doctor that you are not drinking now but you'd like to learn strategies to keep it that way after the baby is born.

I can tell you with 100% certainly that you don't want to deal with the adverse effects of drinking when you have a baby to take care of. So make a plan that you don't have to! You are doing fantastic and you've proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that you can live sober long term with no adverse effects at all.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

J- prayers to you, baby James and your hubby. PJ