Notices

Alcohol in mainstream media (Adverts, TV, Film, Radio)

Old 12-07-2016, 01:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

Alcohol in mainstream media (Adverts, TV, Film, Radio)

I've noticed that more than a few of us (if not all) noticed how prevalent alcohol is in today's society whether it's an advert or it being mentioned or seen on tv or film or on a billboard etc

The main thing I notice is its always in early sobriety these thoughts & feelings occur I know I had my moments

This isn't a debate on the ethics of advertising or a call to sobriety arms about alcohol on tv or film. What I have truly realised is I don't think the same as I once did & I've written this post to let you know that with time maybe your views will change too and youl realise how much we focus on it especially more in early sobriety I'm not saying it's right or wrong I'm saying I accept it as it just is

ALCOHOL will always stand out to an alcoholic and it's processing why through recovery that helps us with understanding our alcoholic nature

I want to share something I wrote on the 18th August 2013 (I was 1 year 1 month & 4 days sober)

''Alcohol tv magazine radio adverts

They don't do this with smoking its banned even from display and ther are no adverts

Alcohol has the opposite even with all the problems the market is saturated with alcohol advertising ??

I find the adverts pathetic I seen 1 advert where the tagline was drink for no reason, I was gobsmacked

Just wondering what others think and maybe what could done

Governments should do more drink aware campaign in UK is a joke"

That was me then all I can say is that isn't me now

Would love to hear from SR's seasoned Vets about how we change our views & attitudes towards alcohol in sobriety

Hang in there Guests, Newcomers, those in early recovery, those with a few years to their recovery & of course the seasoned Vets of recovery

Thank you for reading
Old 12-07-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Time has a lot to do with changing and learning to deal with something that is all round us, not an easy quick fix answer, but the longer I've been Sober the more I stop noticing how frequent alcohol is advertised and promoted, my new Sober life has pushed alcohol to the fringes, not easy in early Sober life, but it will happen the more we carve a life out not centred around alcohol anymore.

We can't change society, it would be easier if society did change, just like tobacco advertising where I come from, but it's unlikely, so what do we do? do we simply say it can't be done, it's too hard, or do we adjust our habits and actions to facilitate the fact that before and during every sports game, on every radio and TV station, and on large billboards we are going to come up against society promoting alcohol.

Acceptance in Sobriety was important for me, and this was an extension of that acceptance about the way things are, and I can't change it, we just have to get on with it.

Pubs and bars exist, there is also an aisle at the supermarket that serves alcohol, if I can make a decision not to act and buy alcohol there, then I can make a decision to ignore or not act on all the promotions for alcohol I see, I still need to act upon them, they don't in of themselves cause me to drink.

It can be done!!
Old 12-19-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

bump
Old 12-19-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Has anyone ever noticed that you have never seen anyone drink alcohol in an advertisement?

That is because they legally can not show that.

It is ok to hold a drink. You can't get in trouble doing that!!
Old 12-19-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not a seasoned vet but this doesn't bother me. Mostly it entertains me if anything. I seem to like shows where drinking is very much center stage. I'm watching Saving Grace (while I crochet....its not very good but I like the angel idea) and they drink NON STOP. And they are cops. Yeah I know, in a lot of communities cops are huge drinkers. But seriously. The main character drives all over the place drunk, has rampant sex, and makes all kinds of dangerous decisions. Yeah that's the point of the show but she wouldn't be able to function drinking like this. Its just funny. Not just how booze is depicted, but more how alcoholism is depicted.

I will say I was out to dinner with the kid yesterday. It has a lively 'neighborhood' bar vibe and heard someone yell out 'who wants shots?' and my stomach did a flip flop. It wasn't a craving or anything of the like, just a 2 second panic. Haven't had that feeling in a while.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I find it funny how they glamorize alcohol. Its not glamorous...at all. I also have to laugh when I see a commercial of a bunch of people working out really hard and its an advert for a low calorie beer. Are you serious?

Lastly, I was on facebook yesterday and I bet I saw 5 pictures of bloody mary's. One, who takes a picture of their drink? Two, I've done the bloody mary thing, what a perfect way to ruin what could be a productive day!
Old 12-19-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I find it funny how they glamorize alcohol. Its not glamorous...at all. I also have to laugh when I see a commercial of a bunch of people working out really hard and its an advert for a low calorie beer. Are you serious?

Lastly, I was on facebook yesterday and I bet I saw 5 pictures of bloody mary's. One, who takes a picture of their drink? Two, I've done the bloody mary thing, what a perfect way to ruin what could be a productive day!
And they glamorize alcohol-ism. One can't drink, everyday, in extreme volumes, and still have abs. Let alone show up to work. Oh my. Alcoholism is so ugly

Its hard for me to understand the 'snap chat' generation. I hate having my picture taken....let alone taking my picture, and the picture of everything I'm doing, eating and drinking, 24/7. But that's the deal. I'm surprised she didn't take a pic of her sandwich last night. She was too busy devouring it!
Old 12-19-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I never pay attention to it, or any other commercials/advertisements for that matter
Old 12-19-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hate them and the way some man slams whiskey after a hard day like its water then goes off to stop the bad guy in the next scene completely coherent. And they never show the raging hangovers, shakes, vomitting up blood.

It makes me so angry, but then again I'm coming from a recent relapse so I have baggage I need to work on.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
I've noticed that more than a few of us (if not all) noticed how prevalent alcohol is in today's society whether it's an advert or it being mentioned or seen on tv or film or on a billboard etc

The main thing I notice is its always in early sobriety these thoughts & feelings occur I know I had my moments

This isn't a debate on the ethics of advertising or a call to sobriety arms about alcohol on tv or film. What I have truly realised is I don't think the same as I once did & I've written this post to let you know that with time maybe your views will change too and youl realise how much we focus on it especially more in early sobriety I'm not saying it's right or wrong I'm saying I accept it as it just is

ALCOHOL will always stand out to an alcoholic and it's processing why through recovery that helps us with understanding our alcoholic nature

I want to share something I wrote on the 18th August 2013 (I was 1 year 1 month & 4 days sober)

''Alcohol tv magazine radio adverts

They don't do this with smoking its banned even from display and ther are no adverts

Alcohol has the opposite even with all the problems the market is saturated with alcohol advertising ??

I find the adverts pathetic I seen 1 advert where the tagline was drink for no reason, I was gobsmacked

Just wondering what others think and maybe what could done

Governments should do more drink aware campaign in UK is a joke"

That was me then all I can say is that isn't me now

Would love to hear from SR's seasoned Vets about how we change our views & attitudes towards alcohol in sobriety

Hang in there Guests, Newcomers, those in early recovery, those with a few years to their recovery & of course the seasoned Vets of recovery

Thank you for reading
Hi soberwolf
I'm early in recovery and have noticed the drinking on TV.
I was watching Rachel Ray the other day and she was on with Emmirl Lagosse celebrity chef
And they were pouring the red wine drinking,laughing and Rachel ended up on the floor of the set laughing they went to a commercial. I thought to myself you have got to be kidding she's making an ass of herself on national television.
The other night i was watching the tonight show with Jonny Carson old reruns.....Dean Martin stumbles onto the show with a drink in his hand mumbling something hard to understand him.....why is this exceptable ?
Watching Rachel Ray like that was a little hard because that's how I acted when I was drunk and at that moment i was jealous and then I caught myself and came back to reality.
Early recovery can be tough .
Old 12-19-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

The drinking I don't pay attention to. Sometimes, I focus more on someone smoking on a show or movie. Drinking is still accepted.
Smoking is a nasty habit that other people have to inhale inside building.

I don't pay any more attention to someone having a drink then someone having a
decadent piece of desert when I'm dieting.
The longer you're in recovery, the less likely someone drinking will be focused on.
There is one show on showtime I watch called shameless.
That's one dysfunctional family.

The only tv shows I recall growing up where there wasn't alcohol present leave it to beaver, father knows best and a few family shows like that.
Rarely was a film focusing on the town drunk except for, Otis on Andy Griffith.
Instead of the focus made in his deplorable state it made lite of it and portrayed him as being funny....
Old 12-19-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think it's OK though to notice it, to point it out, to be aware of the impact it has - not just on those who suffer from addiction but on our society.

Being aware of that can help make a CONSCIOUS choice, again and again, to take a different path.

Being aware of it can help those of us with children become aware at an early age how those messages manipulate people from early on into a belief system that doesn't necessarily serve our individual best interests and perhaps help them take a broader view when they themselves hit the inevitable social dynamics of alcohol and drugs entering the landscape of their lives.

Accept it as it is.... but also contribute to the awareness of humanity as to the things that may be holding us back or presenting us with ongoing problems and challenges of our own making.

Individually, life on life's terms and accepting what is are fantastic tools for our recovery and sobriety. That said, I think there is a strong case to be made for advocacy and even activism on behalf of those we care about and the world as a whole.... in appropriate measure.