Notices

Got asked to take over my AA chair for 6months

Old 12-07-2016, 12:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got asked to take over my AA chair for 6months

Hi everyone! What a journey 2016 has been for many of us. I'm 7 months sober as of Dec 6th. As each month goes by I get amazed as to how I've done this. It wasn't to long ago I was in a world of mess. My service work continues as I speak to people at the detox houses who are early in there recoveries. I haven't accepted the offer yet, but not sure if I want to as I'm talking with my sponsor about it. Things I can say are getting better overall. Ironically my wife went out with her school friends to celebrate passing one of the last nursing school blocks. When she got home I just kinda laughed and said man I sure don't miss feeling like that as she stated how she didn't feel good from whatever it was they were drinking. She's a normal drinker who rarely ever drinks, so it really doesn't bother me. She did ask me an interesting question last week. It was "do you ever say why me, as to why you can't drink"? I told her actually I never thought about it, but to answer I think I had to go through what I went through in order for me to realize I had a problem along with much deeper things I need to deal with that I was numbing myself to.

Life isn't perfect, but life is better than how it used to be. I'm happy I can say I'm a friend of Bill's since he's been such a good friend to me.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your progress and your 6 months getitright

D
Old 12-07-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

you mean be secretary of the meeting for a 6 month term?

great job on your willingness to be of service and 7 months sober

service to others is the #1 contributor to my intact sobriety date

you dont see people active in service gettin' drunk!

Old 12-07-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 7 months getright - brilliant mate

Even if you don't accept it is good that you have been asked to chair your group, they obviously feel that you have whatever it is that it takes to do it

Obviously not everyone wants their work collegues to know they attend AA but under some circumstances that might look good on a resume

Last edited by saoutchik; 12-07-2016 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Fat fingers, small keyboard
Old 12-07-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats getright15! I got nominated to secretary for one of my meetings too and it's been a really good experience, I recommend it. You can always get somebody to take over a commitment if you find it's not working well in your schedule, in my experience it's not too big a deal to get someone to take over. I had to have somebody take over one of mine because the meeting was too late at night and I preferred an earlier one, and it was totally fine. It's great that your fellows want to volunteer you for service--they want to help you stay sober
Old 12-07-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

7 Months is fantastic Getright!!
Old 12-07-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Get!

What are you thinking? Do you want to do it?

You must be good speaking if they have asked you. I have never been to a meeting but I think that heading any meeting can be challenging and rewarding.

What is your sponsor saying?
Old 12-07-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice post. Congratulations!
Old 12-07-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's terrific, getright! You've come a heck of a long way in the last year, I hope you're proud. Well done.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 months GR. I can understand your wife's question. With so many normal drinkers in my family, I often wonder as they probably are why did this happen to me. Because it does affect things. My sister worries now about having her sober sister to her get togethers because there is a lot of drinking, and she worries about me being around that. How different things would be if I could just be normal and have 2 drinks. But that's just not the case. I have this eccentric condition that means I can't just stop at 1 or 2 - I want to drink until I pass out.