Notices

Have you replaced alcohol with other risky behaviors?

Old 12-06-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If yes, what did you do to change it?
Old 12-06-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's like whack a mole.

Keep plugging along.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes..... On Day 2 I ate about 3/4 of a bag of powdered donuts! Had to hide them in my desk. I don't even normally have a sweet tooth!

I can still hear the remaining donuts screaming my name from within the confines of my desk drawer! Their days are numbered!!! LOL
Old 12-06-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not sure about risky behaviours, nothing was more risky than drinking myself into what seemed like was going to be an early grave, the benefits of Sobreity really did me good after things adjusted, I was sleeping very much and my eating habits were all over the place, but at the time these I viewed as the lesser of 2 evils.

As time went on though I addressed my diet, got more exercise, more sleep, rehydrated etc.

I suppose the main behaviour of spending time on my own, simply thinking about alcohol, I needed to change up my habits, my behaviours, start getting involved in new activities, new hobbies, get out there and find new people to be friends with.

Substituting one issue for another, just means we have to still keep moving forward and address it, it can be done!!
Old 12-06-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes coffee, sweet foods, sex. This is called addiction substitution, what most 'addicts' tend to do.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

for this alcoholic, sobriety was a pretty darn risky behavior.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am a risk taker periodically, drinking or not. It existed long before ever having problems with alcohol. The difference is that when I drink, they can become extreme, unnecessary, impulsive risks. When sober, I am usually quite careful and try to take more sensible risks, like planning and slowly executing projects many people would run from
Old 12-06-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

For some people riding on 2 wheels at 60+ miles an hour on a 5 gallon gas tank could be considered as risky. Snorkeling with sharks, parasailing.
Bungy jumping hasn't gotten me excited or parachuting.
Zip lining might be something I wouldn't mind trying.

Defining risk taking is hard to do... I played the markets but I was rather conservative on that but after the downward spiral in 2008, many people missed out....
Old 12-06-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

When I got sober and went into the rooms I was moving up in the world.

Eating ice cream or a donut will never supplant the idiocy of my alcohol infused behavior.........impossible. Around six months the fog lifted and the synapses started firing again, whew..........

My adventures lasted over 35 years and included deep rooted debauchery with no up side and misery for others. No, there is zero comparison for me.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sober style

I've partially replaced alcohol with too much coffee, but it's something I can live with. The pleasure coffee gives me outweighs any slight harm at this point.

My relationship with food has actually improved, eating healthier now with a renewed sense of stewardship for this meat puppet body I'm dragging around. Down over 60 pounds now since late February.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I drank so much I woke up in hospital a month later after horrible burns, the death bit. Then moved to a very hellish place. I stopped as a basic matter of survival. Choice- get sober or die. Now I tend to do the opposite- still in survival/safety mode- of my life. My challenge now to cope with that is with professional help- working out why my fears of (now) safety are still there- despite being in a much better place. Complacency leads to relapse. I cope by taking the highest risk I can- understanding the real me- accepting it and changing that which I do not like.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
for this alcoholic, sobriety was a pretty darn risky behavior.
aaaaaahahahahahahah

Yes, it was, brother. Yes, it was.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is just so true it's not even funny!

It's like the first unofficially step, cause we all take it.

Let's see.. I attacked my alcohol cravings with abundant amounts of processed sugar, caffeine and nicotine. I gained ten pounds and experienced frequent headaches.. but why stop at putting unhealthy things in to the body, what about replacing the mental addiction? Five days after I got sober this time? I made an actual honest to goodness attempt to seduce a married man. I'm talking found a way to lure him in to a bedroom. Five days sober. Yes, in early stages of quitting drinking we are still insane, we are merely dry! Sobriety - restoration to sanity - comes gradually!
Old 12-06-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I love sweets now, and walnuts and constantly have a tall glass of lemon ice water while at home. All new habits. I didn't know either that alcohol suppresses some symptoms of things like Dry Eye and arthritis so now I have those things, well had them but didn't feel them. So I probably look worse in some ways but man, do I feel BETTER!
Old 12-06-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just realized those weren't my risky behaviors....good try me. My other vice was medically prescribed but I do realize I am up so much in weight from when I was sick and drunk that when I do smoke its to get high.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I also found religion and dove headlong in to deep end, ie fundamentalism. The addictive voice seeking something else with which to build up the ego. The pendulum swung wide on that one but it did settle in to a comfortable place in the middle. My faith is rooted in humility, as it should be.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

For an alcoholic, facing life with out alcohol is risky behaviour. For me, alcohol is my drug of no choice, and I don't get into other substances or behaviors . But there are a range of legal things that could be used to ease our way through life that have the potential to be just as destructive as alcohol.

Sex, gambling, spending, food, legal marijuana, party pills, prescription medicines are all easily obtainable and justifiable on the grounds that they are either legal or approved by someone. Doesn't make them any less risky though.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm only 11 days in but I've already been smoking more marijuana. I see this lasting for a month or two at the most but regardless I think alcohol is 100 times riskier than pot.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Into the Void

I've always been partial to risky behaviors, although I keep most of them bottled up these days. Sober family man now. My risky activities are now limited to some motorcycling and financial speculation, nothing destructive in my opinion. Still, I get some kick from daily ups and downs in stock and option trading. Strangely, even the burn of losing money is enjoyable on some level.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Yes, I opened a business.