Notices

New and worried

Old 12-05-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and worried

I have always been worried about my alcohol intake. I am 32 years old and have been running pubs for twelve years. Two years ago I got hospitalised for a week with pneumonia due to alcohol abuse. Recently I have been experiencing numbness in my fingers and shakes after a night of heavy drinking. Maybe it's just the cold? I want to give up, but this is my only career and I'm surrounded by it constantly. My mother died of organ failure 2 years ago due to alcohol abuse and my father is a very heavy drinker. I guess this is my intro to the forum. I want to cut down and or quit but I find it very hard due to the high stress nature of my job. I don't drink when I wake up but when I do drink it's until I fall asleep and have trouble sleeping otherwise. I thought about going to an AA group but don't like the idea of being forced into religion as I'm inherently atheist/agnostic. I can go a week without drinking but by the 8th day the cravings are mad.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, this is a wonderfully supportive community.

I attempted moderation many times, and it never worked, I am getting close to one year, and this site is a big part of my recovery plan.

Sounds like you have already lost a lot due to alcohol, and sobriety would be a welcome option for you.

I can imagine running pubs would be a very difficult job to have when alcohol is a problem. Have you considered looking for a management position in a different industry?
Old 12-05-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

You have lots of "reasons" to drink, but your alcoholism will only get worse. Quitting will become all the more difficult. I hope you don't need some tragedy or severe illness to give you the motivation to quit, but for many that's what it takes. I hope you're not one of them.

And btw, AA is a spiritual program not a religious one. It may take some effort to understand this distinction.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've thought about changing careers as I currently work 80 hours a week and would like some more time away from work. But realistically it would require retraining which could take up to 3 years. The numbness etc is a recurring problem. Is it alcohol related? Should I see a doctor?
Old 12-05-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Its very hard for me to get help where I live as I'm in the middle of the countryside. Everytime someone mentions my drinking I become very emotional because I have massive guilt about it.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't really know what i'm expecting. I haven't told anyone about my problems. I don't like asking for help usually.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If anyone could share their experiences, and what I could hoe for and how to continue a normal life and the benefits of giving up on a timescale I would find it massively beneficial
Old 12-06-2016, 01:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think seeing a dr about your hand is important especially if there is numbness

And have you read any of the stories of recovery there is a whole section for just that stories written by anyone who has over a year sober it's really inspiring & I hope you decide to get sober

Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Give this site & yourself a chance to make a difference
Old 12-06-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fourwheeler View Post
Its very hard for me to get help where I live as I'm in the middle of the countryside. Everytime someone mentions my drinking I become very emotional because I have massive guilt about it.
Hi Fourwheeler!

I think it's normal to have an emotional reaction over things you feel guilty about. It's a good sign that it's time for you to change.

While I understand simply saying "change careers" is hard (I'm from a small town, and I know jobs don't really just "pop up" that easily), is it possible to make a move from bar manager to kitchen or general manager? Or for you to take on a role that doesn't put alcohol front and centre in your life?
Old 12-06-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by Fourwheeler View Post
If anyone could share their experiences, and what I could hoe for and how to continue a normal life and the benefits of giving up on a timescale I would find it massively beneficial
Hi Fourwheeler,

You sound like a perfect candidate for learning Addictive Voice Recognition Technique. It is a quick quitting system developed by Rational Recovery that was developed by observing how people quit on their own; using their own human competency and personal responsibility.

It requires total and permanent abstinence from alcohol and drugs, and that sounds like what you want. The area of this website that deals with AVRT is the "Secular Recovery"forum.

People who use AVRT end up living VERY normal lives, and it doesn't matter what kind of job you have.

All the best to you,

Gerandtwine
Old 12-06-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Please get to a doctor about your fingers and your tremors. Your body is telling you something. I think you should listen before it gets real serious real fast. While you are there ask about your alcohol consumption concern. A doctor will listen to your concerns and lead you in the right direction. You will get help if you ask for it.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Fourwheeler!!
Old 12-06-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Have you done any research on the internet about the (physical) effects of alcohol? Alcoholic neuropathy is a thing.

I hope you decide to put down the drink. A happier and much healthier life awaits. Hang around here. I think you'll find this a place of hope and success.

I worked in a popular bar/restaurant for 15 years. I only drank in the first three years - it is possible to keep the job and not drink.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

You said it would take a few years of training for you to change careers, but you should know that alcoholism is progressive. It will get worse, unless and until you stop drinking. Making a career change and reducing your stress could be a life-saver for you.

If you think AA is not for you, there are many other ways our members recover. This is a link with lots of suggestions and tools for stopping drinking:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 12-06-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Looking back, the shakes were the first major warning sign for me. If you're getting the shakes it would seem it's time to take a hard look at your options. Congratulations on posting here, it's a great first step.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Fourwheeler

don't let living in the country or career or anything else stop you from getting the help you need.

Like others have said this is a progressive condition - the soone you act, the less drastic the consequences

D
Old 12-06-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Fourwheeler,
The shakes and numbness would cause concern for me. I would seek medical attention if you really want to quit. Withdrawal is dangerous and can't be taken lightly. I also had the numbness/tingling in my left hand. I cannot say that it was caused by drinking -- all I know is that when I quit, it went away. Multiple seizures and too many horrible mornings were finally what got me to wave the white flag and seek treatment to get off the roller coaster, and I never want to get back on. Best of luck...we've all been there and we're pulling for you!