Notices

New and tired.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sleepy

New and tired.

Hello,

I'm new here and glad to have found this group.

I'm been a daily heavy drinker (mostly wine and beer, occasionally booze which always turned to binging) for about 20 years. Tried to "cut back" several times and failed.

I'm finally over it. Seriously 100% done. I want a life back.

I'm only on day 5. I know that's probably lame. I hope it's okay to post so early into it.

Anyway, I'm exhausted. More tired then I've ever been in my life. I'm sleeping 12 hours at night, even with taking naps over the weekend. I'm constantly yawning when I'm awake and all I can think about is getting back under the covers. I guess it's better than thinking about drinking.
Does this have to do with not drinking? Is it normal? If so, why? And how long does it last? If not, maybe this is just my brain trying to cope with not drinking?

Oh and I think it might be worth noting that the sleep I am getting is the best sleep I can ever remember having. So that's something.

So anyway. Thanks for reading, perhaps answering, and again....glad to be here.

May
Old 12-05-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making the decision to take your life back from alcohol.

Well done!

It is a bit uncomfortable both physically and emotionally in early days. My sleep was great on some days, horrible on others, and some days I'd sleep 12 hours. I treated myself like I was recovering from a serious illness, because I was.

I hope you stick around! Welcome.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Glad you are here. Lot's of support! I am on Day 2 with others so it is never too early. Did you join a Class, yet.
There is the Class of December 2016 that is mostly newbies. Good Luck!
Old 12-05-2016, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Mayeve and thankyou for your post. You are not lame, far from it. It shows strength and bravery to bare your soul to the world- to be honest. So well done.
I think sleeping is natural- your body is healing. HOWEVER (I cannot stress this enough) it is a very good idea to get a check up with your doctor. The tiredness could, for example mean something physical is going on- say diet. I also have depression- so seeing my doc. and having that managed properly was important too. Well done on 5 days. Keep posting. PJ
Old 12-05-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Mayeve, no, it's not lame at all!!!! That's what this support forum is for. And I think 5 days is fantastic! The first week or two is the hardest. I second Phoenix's advice about seeing your doctor. If you are having withdrawals, they can prescribe you something to help with that. I was tired at first, too, but I think that's because I was on librium. Congrats on your sobriety!
Old 12-05-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! Day 2 here so you are never too early into the fight to post! I successfully quit the bar scene and the drunk driving 13 years ago. I convinced myself that I was much better off drinking at home. It seemed more harmless. I played all the games trying to reduce my drinking in work nights but rewarded myself with excess on weekends. It doesn't work very well. I am QUITTING! Lots of support here and this place is helping me already. Good Luck!
Old 12-05-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

May,

It takes about a week to detox, the crave kicks into high gear. Then about a month to heal up. You, like me, are deeply toxified.

Your body is saying....thank you!

The crave lasts...forever unfortunately.

I craved this morning when my drunk buddy got into the car.

It gets easier. You have to change your life to embrace sobriety.

Sober Activities vs Drunk Activities.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome May. Stick around.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sleepy

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Glad you are here. Lot's of support! I am on Day 2 with others so it is never too early. Did you join a Class, yet.
There is the Class of December 2016 that is mostly newbies. Good Luck!

Yes! I just found that class and posted in it.

Thank you.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sleepy

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Welcome Mayeve and thankyou for your post. You are not lame, far from it. It shows strength and bravery to bare your soul to the world- to be honest. So well done.
I think sleeping is natural- your body is healing. HOWEVER (I cannot stress this enough) it is a very good idea to get a check up with your doctor. The tiredness could, for example mean something physical is going on- say diet. I also have depression- so seeing my doc. and having that managed properly was important too. Well done on 5 days. Keep posting. PJ

Oh, I already have depression. I've been on 20mg of Celexia for about 4 years now. I think it all comes back to drinking and lifestyle choices, so I'm hoping that someday in the future I can also phase out of the depression as well. My ultimate goal is to be 100% substance free.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sleepy

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
May,

It takes about a week to detox, the crave kicks into high gear. Then about a month to heal up. You, like me, are deeply toxified.

Thanks.

Thanks for posting this. It's good to know. I was thinking that I might be getting off easy with the just feeling tired - and wondering if and when the other shoe is going to drop. I appreciate the honesty and the heads-up. I'd rather be prepared than caught unawares.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Your av will try and trick you into drinking.

You will think...i am feeling great...i can have a few...but really you are craving like a crack addict.

If you don't give in...your stress level will go through the roof...

This lasts a long time...months really.

That is why so many folks relapse early on. It is not a physical thing at 2 or 3 weeks any more...it is a mental thing.

Brain damage.

Post before you drink. Eat when you crave. Get through the crave and you feel like a winner.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Mayeve!!
Old 12-05-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a concentrated source of ready calories so your body has to shift gears entirely and start getting nutrition from actual food. That's why lots of us crave sugar in the early weeks and why you're so tired now. Alcohol also messes with our sleep patterns, so your body is finally getting some quality rest...go with it!

Congratulations on five days...looking back, day four was my worst by far. I barely made it off the sofa.

You can do this!
Old 12-05-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Mayeve! Day five is not lame at all. You're sober and thinking of recovery. You have to be sober that long to be serious about these things. Anyways, good luck to you!
Old 12-05-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sleepy

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Alcohol is a concentrated source of ready calories so your body has to shift gears entirely and start getting nutrition from actual food. That's why lots of us crave sugar in the early weeks and why you're so tired now. Alcohol also messes with our sleep patterns, so your body is finally getting some quality rest...go with it!

Congratulations on five days...looking back, day four was my worst by far. I barely made it off the sofa.

You can do this!

I hear that. The Kit-Kats and Popcorn are about to go into extinction in my neck of the woods.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sleepy

Originally Posted by mayeve View Post
I hear that. The Kit-Kats and Popcorn are about to go into extinction in my neck of the woods.

Oh, and MILK! I've never been a milk drinker but I've been drinking a couple tall glasses in the evening. (After the kit-kats and popcorn) and it tastes soooooo good. I figure my body is needing it so.....when in Rome.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad you are here!

I was very sick and very exhausted when I quit, 9.5 months ago. I slept a LOT - at night like you said, as my vivid nightmares turned to vivid dreams turned into normal dreams (thanks to nightly seroquel my dr prescribes). I took naps ALL the time, and sometimes they were several hours. Sometimes the fatigue would hit out of the blue and I would have to lie down immediately if not sooner. I still take naps several days a week.

Everyone's bodies are different- mine had a huge amount of healing to do. Perhaps read up on PAWS - there is a great article on digitaldharma.net. It explains a lot of what we go through as our bodies first get alcohol out of our systems literally, then as we progress in healing.

Keep going - you will feel better the longer you are sober. Seeing your dr and treating any underlying issues is really important so keep that up, too.

Good luck.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sleepy

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
May,

Thanks.

I've come back about 10 times to reread your reply.

This keeps getting me: "You, like me, are deeply toxified".

I'm toxified. How scary is that?

Thanks for the straight up. It means a lot.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to ST mayeve and congratulations on 5 days!