SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello all... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/401335-hello-all.html)

nacobsb 12-04-2016 05:39 PM

Hello all...

Hmmm, well, I guess I'll just say hello, and that I'm just over 8 months without alcohol. In general it has gotten easier, however right now I'm finding it more difficult again. Not that I am going to go drink, just that the want to drink is increased. I know it's temporary, but sometimes these periods can be pretty rough. I'm battling depression (without anti-depressants, though I have a prescription sitting there on the counter) and sometimes hopelessness, both of which make it worse.

I'm doing a lot of the right stuff, exercising, getting out as much as I can. I just hope I can find happiness again but it has been very illusive...

REsoberALITY 12-04-2016 05:48 PM

Hello and Welcome Dan. Posting here was a great idea.

REsoberALITY 12-04-2016 05:49 PM

It can really help to have all this support when you're feeling this way. Congrats on 8 months btw.... You're doing Great!

Mattq2 12-04-2016 05:53 PM

Hey dan,
Glad to meet you. I haven't been sober as long as you but I know what you mean about the emotional ups and downs. Do you think you could talk to your doctor about the depression? i hope you stay strong I think in time all things improve.

Anna 12-04-2016 06:00 PM

Hi, It sounds like you're doing well, and coming here to SR will just add to your tools. Congratulations on your 8 months of recovery.

Hevyn 12-04-2016 06:01 PM

Very good to have you with us, Dan. Congrats on your 8 months. I found the encouragement here was just what I needed. I didn't feel alone anymore. Hope you feel the same - and welcome!

STDragon 12-04-2016 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by REsoberALITY (Post 6232139)
Hello and Welcome Dan. Posting here was a great idea.

I second that. And great job working it to 8 months - a lot longer than me.... keep posting....

january161992 12-04-2016 06:26 PM

8 months !!!

and great post

:tyou

ZenLifter 12-04-2016 06:27 PM

8 months is fantastic. I had almost seven.....and then relapsed. Then I got diagnosed bipolar and went on meds. I could tell that something was not quite right with me. I guess what I am saying is don't hesitate to get treatment for your depression. It might make the difference between relapsing or not.

fini 12-04-2016 06:33 PM

welcome, Dan.

just heard on a radio show today that desolation and consolation are cyclical.....sitting here thinking about that , wondering...

way to go on showing up and eight months!

SnazzyDresser 12-04-2016 06:59 PM

Good job on 8 months, Dan, you're killing it. Great to have you here on SR!

Inchworm 12-04-2016 07:27 PM

Nice work on the 8 months sober! Why not try the depression meds?

Dee74 12-04-2016 07:27 PM

Hi Dan

Have you had the Script for the anti-ds before? did it help?
D

Steely 12-04-2016 07:45 PM

I'm the same Dan. I did have nearly 9 months and relapsed, now 35 days.

I am so totally depressed, anxiety, don't sleep properly and wake with fatigue. You are doing better than me at 8 months in not drinking. Go, you!

My AD script is sitting in the medicine chest, and am reluctant to get on that merry go round 'round again. I will however if things don't improve.

For what it's worth I know how you feel, it's awful to the nth.

Berrybean 12-04-2016 10:09 PM

I got awfully low around 6 to 7 months in. The info on this PAWS article was very useful to me. Perhaps it's worth a quick read... https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB

waywardson8260 12-05-2016 02:01 AM

Welcome and congratulations on 8 months sober nacobsb. From my experience, those cravings ate still powerful at 8 months but they should subside considerably over the next few months. It does get better!!!

PhoenixJ 12-05-2016 02:31 AM

For me (no one else) the first clear, sober action I did was go to my doctor and was reviewed for my history of major depression. I kind of knew AD's were necessary. It gave me a level playing field to deal with every day life. For me, having a script for AD's suggests seeing a doctor for depression. AD-'s take a while to have a noticeable difference. To me feeling as if I had depression like symptoms and not seeing a doctor- would mean my thinking was not too clear.

Soberwolf 12-05-2016 02:47 AM

Hello Dan

MellowHeather 12-05-2016 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by nacobsb (Post 6232126)
Hmmm, well, I guess I'll just say hello, and that I'm just over 8 months without alcohol. In general it has gotten easier, however right now I'm finding it more difficult again. Not that I am going to go drink, just that the want to drink is increased. I know it's temporary, but sometimes these periods can be pretty rough. I'm battling depression (without anti-depressants, though I have a prescription sitting there on the counter) and sometimes hopelessness, both of which make it worse.

I'm doing a lot of the right stuff, exercising, getting out as much as I can. I just hope I can find happiness again but it has been very illusive...

Chat to us Dan. You've done a lot already. Happiness is within reach. :)

PurpleKnight 12-05-2016 10:16 AM

Welcome to the Forum Dan!! :wave: