Notices

In recovery living with a drinker...perspective please!?

Old 12-04-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In recovery living with a drinker...perspective please!?

I have been sober for 4.5 years and living with a drinker. She drinks 3-5 times a week with her friends and also when we go out. Her tolerance for alcohol it's pretty low and after 3 drinks we can no longer hold or maintain any kind of normal interaction or conversation, in other words, she's drunk. I am struggling with this very hard. It is very upsetting that she doesn't see my struggle or even recognizes my situation. We have tried to set some guidelines to no avail. We have made zero progress. I love her very much and it hurts me to even think of quitting the relationship but I get extremely upset when she becomes belligerent and renders our interaction useless, Not to mention the strong reminder of what booze smells like and it's effects on a person. Anyone with any experience? I'd welcome a word of advice. Thank you folks.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Manolin!!
Old 12-04-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I couldn't live like that. I'm in recovery and that kind of behavior would be a dealbreaker for me.

Were you both drinkers when you got together?
Old 12-04-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think you may need to ask her if she would quit drinking to save your relationship. I'm single, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't be able to remain.

Also, if there is no change in sight, I would have to ask myself what the point would be to remain. You could be here in a years time, struggling with the same situation.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I assume you've talked to her about how her drinking makes you feel. So, it sounds like you have to make a decision at this point. You can continue and nothing will change, or you can move on. You might try AlAnon in your area as a support for yourself. Congratulations on your recovery!
Old 12-04-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Manolin
Old 12-04-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Manolin, after 29 years of marriage I quit drinking though my husband did not. After several months of my sobriety and him cutting back, he is now trying himself to live as a non-drinker. My reasons were for health and Ialways celebrated openly my improved liver tests and happiness with feeling good in the morning. There were nights when his over drinking was obnoxious and I kept silent until he was sober and I told him of my feelings of....um, disgust. We are not argumentative by nature but his repeating of stories and sloppiness was annoying at best. So I told him about that when he was not drinking, I said it once and did not give an ultimatums because I realize you cannot change anyone and frankly I really hoped it would work out the way it did. He's trying, so far successfully.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by manolin View Post
I have been sober for 4.5 years and living with a drinker. She drinks 3-5 times a week with her friends and also when we go out. Her tolerance for alcohol it's pretty low and after 3 drinks we can no longer hold or maintain any kind of normal interaction or conversation, in other words, she's drunk. I am struggling with this very hard. It is very upsetting that she doesn't see my struggle or even recognizes my situation. We have tried to set some guidelines to no avail. We have made zero progress. I love her very much and it hurts me to even think of quitting the relationship but I get extremely upset when she becomes belligerent and renders our interaction useless, Not to mention the strong reminder of what booze smells like and it's effects on a person. Anyone with any experience? I'd welcome a word of advice. Thank you folks.
I could have wrote this post.

My wife and I have been together for 22 years and we were pretty much drunk everyday. I quit 41 days ago but my wife continues to get loaded everyday.

As I type this she is in the other room drinking vodka and getting wasted.

She will not quit; she says she enjoys it and just because I quit that doesn't mean she has to. I just hold me tongue.

In 2013 I quit drinking for 4 months and at that time I tried to control her drinking and it almost led to a divorce. As sick as it sounds, I actually went back to drinking everyday to save my marriage.

Well this time around I am staying sober no matter what it takes. After 27+ years of daily drinking I am mentally and physically worn out from alcohol abuse. I cannot live anymore with the anxiety, panic and depression that alcohol gives me.

I am not happy living like this but it is all I have right now.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Doesn't it come down to this? Alcoholism can and probably will kill a person eventually. If you and/or your spouse continue to drink one or both of you is likely to die. Can you survive year after year with your spouse drinking? How might you react to your spouse's death? Only you can decide these things. Our concerns to you and total support. Every good wish.

Bill
Old 12-04-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I left my husband 2 years after getting sober. whilst he wasn't a drunk or belligerent the sheer futility and boredom of watching him wasting his life/our lives drinking every single night was too much for me. I wanted more from life. Our marriage ended. i'm sure if I'd stayed drinking I'd still be with him.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It just varies from person to person. My guy drinks and it doesn't bother me.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Manolin
Unfortunately not everyone get the support they want from their partner, but thats why great supportive places like SR exist

Glad to have you here - welcome

D
D
Old 12-04-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

At the end of my street there's some kind of a business, I think it's some kind of physical therapy place or something. Anyway they have a sign outside. The slogan slays me, which says something because I drive by it at least twice a day. I never get tired of it. It says:

"This is not your practice life."

In Gratitude

B
Old 12-04-2016, 10:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've been with my partner for almost 25 years. He still drinks to excess every night of the weekend. I deal with this by ensuring that I have my own plans those days / nights and stay out of his way when he's drunk, because he's infuriating and a bore when intoxicated. Not much I can do about the alcohol smell, but thankfully most nights he gets drunk he'll fall asleep on the sofa (lol to think I used to wake him up and help him get to bed - what a fool!!) My sober friends at and from AA are invaluable to me at weekends.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I couldn't live like that. I'm in recovery and that kind of behavior would be a dealbreaker for me.

Were you both drinkers when you got together?
Hi, yes we were indeed…
Old 12-05-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I assume you've talked to her about how her drinking makes you feel. So, it sounds like you have to make a decision at this point. You can continue and nothing will change, or you can move on. You might try AlAnon in your area as a support for yourself. Congratulations on your recovery!
Thank you Anna, I shall look into that…I appreciate the respond.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
I've been with my partner for almost 25 years. He still drinks to excess every night of the weekend. I deal with this by ensuring that I have my own plans those days / nights and stay out of his way when he's drunk, because he's infuriating and a bore when intoxicated. Not much I can do about the alcohol smell, but thankfully most nights he gets drunk he'll fall asleep on the sofa (lol to think I used to wake him up and help him get to bed - what a fool!!) My sober friends at and from AA are invaluable to me at weekends.
Wow…I admire your commitment. Not sure I'm strong enough to do that. I miss the relationship and I feel alone and I'm jealous cause I'd like to party if I could. I guess those are all my problems…
Love!
Old 12-05-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post
at the end of my street there's some kind of a business, i think it's some kind of physical therapy place or something. Anyway they have a sign outside. The slogan slays me, which says something because i drive by it at least twice a day. I never get tired of it. It says:

"this is not your practice life."

in gratitude

b
💛
Old 12-05-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
I left my husband 2 years after getting sober. whilst he wasn't a drunk or belligerent the sheer futility and boredom of watching him wasting his life/our lives drinking every single night was too much for me. I wanted more from life. Our marriage ended. i'm sure if I'd stayed drinking I'd still be with him.
I understand that feeling very well…witnessing as an outsider it's heartbreaking.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post
I could have wrote this post.

My wife and I have been together for 22 years and we were pretty much drunk everyday. I quit 41 days ago but my wife continues to get loaded everyday.

As I type this she is in the other room drinking vodka and getting wasted.

She will not quit; she says she enjoys it and just because I quit that doesn't mean she has to. I just hold me tongue.

In 2013 I quit drinking for 4 months and at that time I tried to control her drinking and it almost led to a divorce. As sick as it sounds, I actually went back to drinking everyday to save my marriage.

Well this time around I am staying sober no matter what it takes. After 27+ years of daily drinking I am mentally and physically worn out from alcohol abuse. I cannot live anymore with the anxiety, panic and depression that alcohol gives me.

I am not happy living like this but it is all I have right now.
I totally understand, thank you. My goal is to try and accept her for who she is and does and don't make my problems hers and her problems mine. But I'm not doing very well thus far. Thanks for the support.