Notices

11 months sober and curious about AA

Old 12-07-2016, 10:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Cool! Glad it went well. I bet you'll find meetings with bigger audiences sometimes, too
Old 12-07-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I loved AA when I was single and had much more free time. It reduced my isolation and gave me so many sober activities to attend. It was great. I have a lot less time now with my husband and new puppy and new career. Go for it!
Old 12-08-2016, 03:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leasha24 View Post
I'm 11 months sober (will have 1 year on December 27th) and have pretty much been doing it my way. I logged on to SR a lot in the beginning and then didn't feel the need to log in to SR much over the summer but lately I've been finding myself logging on much more in the last couple weeks.

I haven't been to an AA meeting and am just curious if this is something worth looking into? I feel like I'm doing pretty good on my own but have always been curious about AA meetings. I'm not sure about the whole 12 step process and the spirituality thing (I know a lot of people say that).

Not exactly sure what I'm really trying to get at with this post... Maybe just words of encouragement to give it a try; to give me that boost to just go and see what it's like. Advice from others that use AA and what to expect at my first meeting? What is it like walking in to your first meeting?

Thanks everyone.

Leasha
Yes. It is absolutely worth looking into.

Everything and anything that involves learning more about recovery, connecting with others in sobriety and finding more tools to enrich your life is wOrth looking into.

The best way to learn is to just do it.

Grab a Big Book while you're there. It is well worth several reads and having on your shelf.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Try it.

It took the combination of AA and this website for me to stay sober. The website is great because it's available 24/7. AA is useful because of the face to face contact with others, who in some cases have been sober many years.

But don't try just one meeting. Try 4 or 5 different one's on different days and places. Meetings differ a lot depending upon the location and the types of people that show up. My favorite meeting his an all men's group meeting that consists of a lot of college educated professionals which I can relate to.

The Dr. that treated me when I was in the hospital one time because of drinking confided in me that he went to AA and said he might see me at a meeting. That simple statement had a profound effect on my thinking about AA, and the people who are involved.