Notices

day 2, the worst insomnia

Old 12-03-2016, 01:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 2, the worst insomnia

Think this is going to be the big problem to start with - the physical illness that comes with drinking has got me to a stage where it's just ugh, take it away, but my reliance on it for sleep has become huge. Can't believe you have to relearn sleeping .
Old 12-03-2016, 02:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm right with ya ...
Old 12-03-2016, 02:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's amazing how our bodies work with alcohol. I'm with you also.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Amazing too how even the disturbed sleep of 6 months ago looks good when you're staring at the ceiling at 5am. I can see how the AV works when it's so easy to reach for a bottle when I'm too tired to resist. Trying to get around the idea of acceptance; do people find that helpful at real stress points? David
Old 12-03-2016, 03:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I feel for ya. Insomnia was horrible for me every time I quit. I felt crummy for days on end. It drove me back to the bottle dozens of times. I truly believed I would never sleep well without alcohol.

Then I got sober for a few weeks and started sleeping like a baby. Give yourself a shot at having the same experience. Totally worth it.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I heard that 1 hour of sober sleep is better than 12 hours of drunken sleep.

It takes time for the body to normalize.

I used to nap all the time as well. Naps are the best.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I feel for ya. Insomnia was horrible for me every time I quit. I felt crummy for days on end. It drove me back to the bottle dozens of times. I truly believed I would never sleep well without alcohol.

Then I got sober for a few weeks and started sleeping like a baby. Give yourself a shot at having the same experience. Totally worth it.
Hoping to, one of my main drives right now. All I want for Xmas is 24 hours' sleep .
Old 12-03-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
G-Woman

My insomnia was also awful during early recovery. My doc eventually prescribed some meds for it (non-addictive, non mood-altering) and I've been good ever since. Hopefully I can eventually taper off and sleep like a normal human being.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I found I had problems sleeping at first. A combination of cutting caffeine around 2pm, drinking a pot full of Davids Tea "Mothers Little Helper" (containing valerian), and following guided mediations (found on youtube) while waiting to fall asleep did the trick for me.

After a couple of weeks, sleep will (hopefully) come more naturally. Good luck!
Old 12-03-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sleep issues are a big reason why many people start drinking (myself included), but ultimately it is the worst sleep remedy. You are on day 2? I would say in 2 more days you should start to get some relief. Stick with it.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used melatonin for a while when I quit drinking. I didn't find it to be addictive at all, for me anyhow. My husband uses sleepy time tea. Hang in there, you can do it! It will get better with time.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey

Yep - I had the insomnia too - which I hadn't expected, as I had only been focusing on the psychological impact of quitting. It wasn't great, but (and I've put this in previous posts), I just went with it knowing that it would pass - and it did!

I cut out caffeine completely on Day 3, drank bucketloads of camomile tea with honey (maybe don't drink 15 cups in an evening like I did - bit sickening.. ), and I took it as a step in a new process without stressing about being tired. People get tired - it's only temporary.

When I couldn't sleep after trying for a while, I just got up and had tea and read until I felt like trying again.

I found the couch more comfortable than the bed as there wasn't so much room to toss and turn. Big pile of blankets and pillows and hot water bottle, and you can get some rest even if you can't sleep right now.

One helpful thing I was told is that an awful lot of us go through it, so you're not alone. And the other side is just waiting for you!
Old 12-03-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree with mellow. It really helped me to not fight it. I would watch tv or read until I was good and tired. You don't need the anxiety of laying there tossing and turning. It will gradually get better. I did notice caffeine during the day had a greater effect on me sober. I really had to cut down. The bright side is in a few weeks four or five hours sleep will make you feel fantastic. Hang in there and be strong.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
True strength lies within

Horrendous insomnia the first 2-3 days. The anticipation of not being able to sleep along with the craving for alcohol would nearly drive me back to the bottle every time. Even though i knew i wouldnt sleep , i had the satisfaction knowing would rather be sleep deprived and sober than dependent on the bottle to help me sleep (which honestly it never really did) As my other half always said, it will get better, and it always did. I did use non prescription pills to help, but the insomnia was way to bad. I was on the non prescription pills for almost 2 years every nite, almost as a back up. I look at it as placing one addiction with another ,, like a crutch. Happy to say, i dont need them anymore. I take 5htp ( natural) and it works wonders in every perspective. It truly does get better, i used to dread going to sleep, now i welcome it every night , hang in there !
Old 12-03-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yah, little or no sleep for a couple of weeks for me. It will get easier. Hang in there.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Remember folks - we can share our experience of what worked for us but no treatment recommendations please.

Any supplement, especially if you're on other medication, should really be okayed by your own Dr or at least Pharmacist.

I didn't take any meds Dreamsneverend. For me the sleep thing got progressively better after day 3 - by 10-14 days I was sleeping soundly again

D
Old 12-03-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

first off, good job on the decision to get sober. that is huge. you are in very early days and everything is going to be messed up, for a while. but a lot of what you feel NOW will diminish by the time you flip the calendar to January.

that being said, as a 57 yr old female who has had "hormone induced" insomnia since the age of FORTY, i can tell ya it is a survivable condition. didn't say it would be FUN tho.

take naps. altho it is against all recommendations for good sleep hygiene, i have to have the TV on, volume low....something like the ID channel or Forensic Files.....if it gets TOO quiet my brain goes into hyperdrive.

find what works for you. your body will succumb to sleep at some point. it HAS to. don't fight it, allow it.

and stay sober! you can do this!
Old 12-04-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hang in there, with time things started to adjust for me, sleeping, eating etc

The body is a great healer, but it needs time to make it happen!!