Notices

what happened?

Old 12-02-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Your last post a week ago outlined your frustration over your husband causing high levels of anxiety, that would fit into the HALT theory that if you're feeling any of the following, you might be vulnerable to cravings:

H - Hungry?
A - Angry?
L - Lonely?
T - Tired?

It might be something to look at, go at things again, you can do this!!
Old 12-02-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Winnie

Originally Posted by winniegirl33 View Post
Thank u everybody. I feel so much support from u all. Its overwhelmingly amazing. I know what happened looking back.... My friend died on Sunday. I have no coping skills BC I've always drank away pain or hurt or anxiety etc... So, I fall,back on what I know. I really have to work on that. I managed to go to work and it was rough but I survived and I'm just gonna move on from this and try and recuperate. I will dust myself self off and just start over. Thanku again all of u. U have no idea my gratitude for u all to take the time to try and help me a complete stranger
I'm really sorry for your loss.

I agree that, without alternatives, we will fall back on the one ' life tool' we have - alcohol.

Maybe its time to get a few more tools for the tool box?
A recovery plan is a good start

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 12-02-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
Is it really a "choice" though? This is something I struggle with. I mean, sure, we choose to put the alcohol in our bodies. But it's accepted that this is a disease, and to me, that implies we really don't have a choice. And we need to fight the disease and eliminate it to really stop us from making the bad choice.

I'm just trying to sort out the difference between willpower and acceptance of disease, I guess.
I have a few chronic diseases and conditions - I can chose to do nothing about them, or I can choose to do all I can to fight those conditions.

For me willpower was a struggle, because part of my will wanted to drink.

Acceptance that I can't drink - not if I want to live the life I want and be who I want to be - is the absence of struggle for me.

D
Old 12-02-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hmmm.... Lots to address. I have read all ur responses. I don't know how I feel about alcohol being a disease or if its a choice. I do know I'm not gonna try to delve into that right now cause that seems hugely overwhelming. I was feeling the usual hungover "feel sorry for me" feelings yesterday. Obviously, I know what I am doing wrong. So I've decided to give aa a shot. Also, I wasn't meaning I drank BC my friend died. I meant BC of my yrs of drinking I need to learn new ways to handle life BC I know life will keep throwing things at me and I have to learn different coping skills so I don't run to the drink to numb myself. Hopefully, AA makes a difference. I know it worked for soo many others. Maybe, I can be one of them.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd agree the disease/choice thing is not a necessary discussion to have in order to quit.

My apologies that the thread veered that way.

I'm glad you've decided on AA... that's another tool or two to use. I hope you'll read that recovery plan link too Winnie

D
Old 12-03-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You drank. That's what happened.

~Bunnez
Old 12-03-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Glad you are willing to try AA and I hope you give it enough time to learn about the program. The only reqt for membership is a desire to stop drinking so it should be a welcoming place where you can see how and why other people find sobriety in this particular way.

Good luck- you can do it.