SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Eleven months today...what a difference... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/401213-eleven-months-today-what-difference.html)

Ariesagain 12-01-2016 08:09 AM

Eleven months today...what a difference...

I am just back from an emotionally and physically demanding trip several states away dealing with my rapidly aging (and often difficult and triggering) parents and convincing them finally to move to assisted living.

I got very little sleep or exercise for 8 days, had to drive them for hours in big city traffic (which I hate), didn't eat well, and needed to be constantly vigilant to their behaviors and needs while also being endlessly patient, entertaining, and sensitive, but persuasive. Utterly exhausting...especially as I'm a complete introvert and people I'm not related to wear me out, let alone my family.

But here's the thing...I survived. I handled it. And as tired as I was, I didn't flip out or panic at any point.

There is no way I could have handled this if I were still drinking. None.

I looked in the mirror last night after I finally got home after two flights and a three-hour drive home and I didn't see a wreck. I looked tired, but I looked...capable. Calm, even.

Wow.

january161992 12-01-2016 08:13 AM

yea inspirational story

and great job on 11 months

:You_Rock_

:tyou

BlissWithin 12-01-2016 08:25 AM

11 months is fantastic, Getting sober is the best new year's resolution to make. :)

Anna 12-01-2016 08:33 AM

Fantastic, Aries!

Dealing with aging parents is very difficult and I'm glad you managed so well.

Dee74 12-01-2016 02:51 PM

That's terrific ariesagain - thanks for sharing that and congratulations :)

D

flguy1 12-01-2016 02:54 PM

that is awesome! Congrats!

FreeOwl 12-01-2016 02:54 PM

very cool. good for you!

August252015 12-01-2016 03:05 PM

ARIES!!! Thank you for sharing- I LOVE this story!!

So well done. I haven't had quite the same situation with my parents but can greatly empathize with that looking in the mirror "positive post-mortem" - how wonderful is it?! It made me proud and meant a lot when my bf turned to me after our Thgvg day with my family and said "well, there was some tension, but none of it came from you or kept on because of you." Never could do that when I was drinking.

Thanks for sharing such a positive experience. And great job on 11 months!

Hevyn 12-01-2016 03:08 PM

That's fabulous news, Aries. For years I thought alcohol was helping me cope. It just made me more anxious. I'm much calmer and in control without it. Glad to hear you're doing well. :)

SoberLeigh 12-01-2016 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ariesagain (Post 6227754)
I am just back from an emotionally and physically demanding trip several states away dealing with my rapidly aging (and often difficult and triggering) parents and convincing them finally to move to assisted living.

I got very little sleep or exercise for 8 days, had to drive them for hours in big city traffic (which I hate), didn't eat well, and needed to be constantly vigilant to their behaviors and needs while also being endlessly patient, entertaining, and sensitive, but persuasive. Utterly exhausting...especially as I'm a complete introvert and people I'm not related to wear me out, let alone my family.

But here's the thing...I survived. I handled it. And as tired as I was, I didn't flip out or panic at any point.

There is no way I could have handled this if I were still drinking. None.

I looked in the mirror last night after I finally got home after two flights and a three-hour drive home and I didn't see a wreck. I looked tired, but I looked...capable. Calm, even.

Wow.

Wow, indeed, Ariesagain.:scoregood

Hope that your parents know happiness in their new surroundings.

kintsugi 12-01-2016 08:16 PM

I love these kinds of stories :) congrats on recognizing your own resilience

Robert88 12-01-2016 08:21 PM

Thank you for sharing. Congratulations, I am happy for you. Continue to stay positive.

Odelle 12-01-2016 08:56 PM

Congratulations on 11 months, Aries! Best wishes to both you and your parents in coming to an agreeable solution.

Delilah1 12-01-2016 09:45 PM

Congrats on 11 months Aries!! Pop into the January class!

MLD51 12-02-2016 06:16 AM

Congratulations on 11 months! I had a similar trip to see my aging, ill father in August. I dreaded it, but you know what? It wasn't so bad. I was so afraid I'd want to drink, because in the past, I certainly would have, because I thought I "needed" booze to cope with the cantankerous old poophead. It was challenging but I did it and didn't lose my cool. Isn't it amazing when you discover these gifts of sobriety?

Bunny211 12-02-2016 06:22 AM

Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PurpleKnight 12-02-2016 11:19 AM

Great job on 11 Months Ariesagain, fantastic!! :You_Rock_