Notices

Day 1 and looking for support

Old 11-30-2016, 10:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 and looking for support

Wow, where to start. Im laying beside my husband as he sleeps and I cry. I've been binge drinking since I was 22 and I'm now 34. It has rarely stopped for longer than 2 months.

I am a female and i can easily drink 12 beers a night. Not every night, but it's gotten to 3 days a week.

Sometimes i drink whatever I can get my hands on. Once I start, I don't stop until I pass out. My husband rarely drinks and I'm always embarrassed by myself.

I get really bad anxiety and pounding alcohol makes it go away.

The last time I drank liquor was the night before Thanksgiving. I drank a bottle of jack to myself at my husband's families house. I know they talked about me. I drank 8 beers monday night and that's the last time. Any advice would be so appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bananas

you've made a great step posting here., You'll find a lot of understanding and support.

It made a real difference to me to know I wasn't alone and that other normal decent ordinary people had this problem too

For most of us the journey starts with a day one - no booze.

If you've been drinking for a while tho, you might want to consult your Dr first, as withdrawal can be problematic in some cases. Best to be safe

D
Old 11-30-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. I plan on spending the morning tomorrow doing some research and deciding if I should go to the Dr. Or not. I do go a week without drinking often so I wonder if withdrawal will need medical attention for me
Old 12-01-2016, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Bananas, Think about joining the class of December. You will find lots of support there and people at the same starting point. It's really great to be able to share your journey with people who understand. X
I'm in the November class and it has helped me emensely. X
Old 12-01-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ban- perhaps just see the doc, not research it. I do that- researching for me at least meant I was just putting stuff off. Stay safe. PJ
Old 12-01-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi bananas, congrats on tackling sobriety, its a worthwhile venture. My only advice would be to check in here daily. So many great, smart people.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey there, welcome and just know we're all behind you 100%! Like you, I used alcohol to make the anxiety go away (I've had it since I was a teenager). Alcohol initially can be very good at reducing anxiety, but over time and in high doses, anxiety will come roaring back.

I didn't get to where I could cut back on drinking until I got some help with my underlying anxiety, which is why I went to my doctor several times until we found a med that was good for me. Although I was still drinking after the meds started, it was a lot less (and I mean a lot). Also, this round of sobriety has been a bit easier with the underlying anxiety more controlled.

In my view, getting any underlying anxiety or depression issues addressed is critical in the sobriety process.

Hang in there!
Old 12-01-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA Member

great job bananas and tony

welcome to sobriety

Old 12-01-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plure View Post
Hey there, welcome and just know we're all behind you 100%! Like you, I used alcohol to make the anxiety go away (I've had it since I was a teenager). Alcohol initially can be very good at reducing anxiety, but over time and in high doses, anxiety will come roaring back.

I didn't get to where I could cut back on drinking until I got some help with my underlying anxiety, which is why I went to my doctor several times until we found a med that was good for me. Although I was still drinking after the meds started, it was a lot less (and I mean a lot). Also, this round of sobriety has been a bit easier with the underlying anxiety more controlled.

In my view, getting any underlying anxiety or depression issues addressed is critical in the sobriety process.

Hang in there!
Thank you so much for your words. I made an appointment but it isn't until january 5th. Hoping to hang on til then. I'm actually feeling really good this morning. I've eaten some fruit and oatmeal instead of mcdonalds and I'm feeling more optimistic
Old 12-01-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for the kind words. Does anyone have a link to the December group?
Old 12-01-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Bananas!

I'm 30, and have been drinking around the same length of time (easily polishing off a bottle of wine, plus a few shots of straight vodka in an evening). I've been where you are a dozen times, and I know what a awful place it is to find yourself in.

In the last 3 years (since I first made an effort to quit), I had to cycle through several programs and dozens of 'day ones' before I found a quit method that really helped me in any kind of sustainable way.

Is this your first time trying to quit?
Did something prompt you to quit?
Are you looking for total sobriety, or are you hoping to be able to drink casually?
Old 12-01-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling better and more optimistic. I think having a plan is very important because there will be times when you want to drink, so it's good to be prepared.

It sounds to me like you're feeling shame for your drinking and this is very common. My advice is to use the shame to propel yourself forward, but don't let it overwhelm you and bring you back to drinking again. You can do this!
Old 12-01-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I drank close to your drinking, too. I also drank because I suffered a lot of anxiety.
It got to the point where I was drinking two shooters of whiskey at 8am on the way home from the liquor store, then, a twelve pack or more the rest of the day.
I drank like that for ten years and alcoholically for twenty years.

I couldn't stop once I got started, either. Any thing with alcohol would do.
You're not alone. I understand where you're coming from. But, there is hope.
AA helped me a lot along with coming here.
I've been sober almost six years now, and at the end of my drinking, I thought I was hopeless.

Wising you the best, and seeking out help and admitting you have a problem is the first step.
Now it's time for action. You don't have to go it alone. Put the energy you put into drinking into recovery and you can't go wrong.
Stick around and best to you.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

you had two identical threads so I merged them Bananas.

How are things today?

D
Old 12-01-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're glad to have you with us, Bananas.

I thought drinking was helping my anxiety & calming me down. It was actually making things much worse. It's good you're taking a hard look at what it's doing to your life.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome Bananas
Old 12-01-2016, 08:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kintsugi View Post
Hi Bananas!

I'm 30, and have been drinking around the same length of time (easily polishing off a bottle of wine, plus a few shots of straight vodka in an evening). I've been where you are a dozen times, and I know what a awful place it is to find yourself in.

In the last 3 years (since I first made an effort to quit), I had to cycle through several programs and dozens of 'day ones' before I found a quit method that really helped me in any kind of sustainable way.

Is this your first time trying to quit?
Did something prompt you to quit?
Are you looking for total sobriety, or are you hoping to be able to drink casually?
Hi! I have been able to cut back to a bottle of wine once a week and a few times i have stopped for a couple of months. I am hoping to quit and never look back this time.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm glad you're feeling better and more optimistic. I think having a plan is very important because there will be times when you want to drink, so it's good to be prepared.

It sounds to me like you're feeling shame for your drinking and this is very common. My advice is to use the shame to propel yourself forward, but don't let it overwhelm you and bring you back to drinking again. You can do this!
Thank you Anna I definitely do feel shame.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
I drank close to your drinking, too. I also drank because I suffered a lot of anxiety.
It got to the point where I was drinking two shooters of whiskey at 8am on the way home from the liquor store, then, a twelve pack or more the rest of the day.
I drank like that for ten years and alcoholically for twenty years.

I couldn't stop once I got started, either. Any thing with alcohol would do.
You're not alone. I understand where you're coming from. But, there is hope.
AA helped me a lot along with coming here.
I've been sober almost six years now, and at the end of my drinking, I thought I was hopeless.

Wising you the best, and seeking out help and admitting you have a problem is the first step.
Now it's time for action. You don't have to go it alone. Put the energy you put into drinking into recovery and you can't go wrong.
Stick around and best to you.
Thank you for your story Ghostlight. It is helping so much to hear I'm not alone