Notices

Quitting smoking at the same time

Old 11-28-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting smoking at the same time

Looking for opinions on quitting smoking while just starting to stop drinking. Thought I could do both, but I'm wondeting if it's too much at once. In your experiences.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Tom... I'm new and on Day #1 myself. Quitting smoking and drinking together was too much for me. I tried it at the same time and totally failed. I could only handle one at a time. I quit smoking 5 years ago and now it's time for me to give up the booze.

Good luck on your journey.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I tried that several times. Was successful in quitting smoking in 2006. Couldn't do both simultaneously. Day 19.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can only do one thing at a time. So I chose alcohol before smoking. Alcohol kills you faster. I start there. Once I have that accomplished. I can work on quitting smoking.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Excellent thread JustTom,I'm a smoker who's been trying to quit for awhile but I'm scared cuz I always hear that saying if you try to quit everything you'll fail at them all or something like that, very curious to read other people's experience, thanks
Old 11-28-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Most find it easier to take things one step at a time. Get the booze out of the way first, then move on to the cigs.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
totfit

I think "science" says both at the same time, especially if one is a trigger for the other. Some recovery programs now encourage both and some are "smoke free". This is a major obstacle for getting patients . I think really to each their own. Whatever you are comfortable with.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it depends on the individual. Knew of two in my relapse prevention meetings that quit both at the same time no problems, some others had no luck.
You could give it a try I suppose. Good luck
Old 11-28-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know I definitely couldn't do both at the same time. I figured my addictiom to pills would take me down faster than my cigarette addiction, so I chose that first. But quitting smoking will definitely be next.
Good luck to you, whatever your decision.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just a quick note,I read your other thread about withdrawal and when I've detoxed I've had to stay away from the cigs cuz it would rev me up too much,also caffeine I avoided like the plague for a few days
Old 11-28-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

when i was in rehab i got in trouble loss of privileges. no vending machines , pay phone or smoking for 3 or 4 days. i started not going to the smoke pit after the ban on these items was lifted i stayed not going to the smoke pit. plenty told me not to quit too many things at one time. 5 and a half years later i still don't smoke. there were times i hadn't smoked 6 or 8 months would smoke one and would become disgusted eventually i learned. i did indulge in alot of chocolate those first few months clean. I was able to quit but of course at the beginning the first and most important thing was not using.