Notices

If SR is your "journal"

Old 11-26-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
waking down

If SR is your "journal"

I posted a lot in early sobriety, and I incorrectly assumed it would all be accessible for future access. I have since learned that at a certain point the system stops saving your old posts, so if you write something you believe is worth saving or reading again for future reflection, I suggest copying and pasting those posts into word documents to save on your computer or to print and place in a file. I feel kind of like I've lost an old diary from a time when I was bristling with madness and creativity. Just a heads up.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The posts are still here...you just have to set different parameters in the "Search" field. I search by date(s) sometimes.

But yeah, it's hard to find a particular old post or thread unless you've bookmarked it or copied it or you can remember a specific phrase or the name of the thread.

You know you can access all the threads you've started quite easily, right? I saw your first thread from 2013 just by going to "All threads started by zerothehero." The site only indexes the last 500, but you've only started 41 threads, so they're all there.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Zero - if you go into the Members List and access your own avatar if you hit "statistics" one of the options is "find all posts by zerothehero" (in your case) Ideally you will know roughly when you posted what it is you are looking for but it should not take too long either way.

Hope this helps
Old 11-26-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Zero,

The posts are all there, it's just that the system only displays 500 at once. If you want to access your earliest posts, for example, go on top of the page in the horizontal menu Search>Advanced Search. Then enter your name and whatever other info you want to narrow down the search. The key to display your posting history from the beginning towards more recent is to set the parameter on the left side of the window under "Sort Results by" to "in Ascending Order". The default is "Descending" so you need to change it. See attached screenshot. You can also define what dates specifically you want to search, use keywords in the posts if you remember etc. I don't think that you have lost anything in the SR database. Hope this helps some.

Last edited by Aellyce; 06-13-2021 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You know I have never read any of my old posts. Ever. Is that weird?
Old 11-26-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
waking down

Thanks you guys. I'll try your suggestions. This was much more productive than asking admin, who replied and simply said only the most recent 500 are available.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
waking down

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
You know I have never read any of my old posts. Ever. Is that weird?
Not weird. It's just that I've been writing vignettes from my life. Memoirs, I suppose. I'd like to find some of those posts from early sobriety, like the letter to my mother, and some of the poetry...
Old 11-26-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Did you try clicking on Archive at the very bottom of the main forums page?
Old 11-26-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great heads-up. I take the view that stuff that's really important to you should be within your own control and not sit on the Internet somewhere.

For the first 6 months of sobriety I posted every day in the December 2015 class. A few weeks in, I decided I needed to make a journal record of my posts and started cutting and pasting all my class entries into a file on my own laptop. So I have entries headed "[date] [day x]" for the first 6 months. It's been so helpful for me to look back on it all and see how I felt at certain points in the journey. In fact, I read them all yesterday, killing time on a long flight!

I recommend it, as it allowed me to reflect on things like when I started feeling better health wise, to recognise and isolate the early signs of my work-related anxiety and most importantly to see progress during the journey - which encouraged me to keep going.

It sounds like an effort to do that, but I put it into the same category as "putting the same effort into sobriety as I did into drinking" - which Dee often refers to.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
Thanks you guys. I'll try your suggestions. This was much more productive than asking admin, who replied and simply said only the most recent 500 are available.
You know the forum staff are volunteers, right?

The answer to this, and other questions, has been in this thread for a few years.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3646432

D
Old 11-26-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Every single one of my posts is here and I joined in 2010!
Old 11-27-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Some top tips and advice in this thread!!