Notices

SSRIs

Old 11-25-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SSRIs

Has anyone here that is or was going through protracted withdrawal, take Zoloft or any other SSRI to help the process? I'm about 2.5 months sober and I'm still struggling with the stress, anxiety, occasional panic attack, and insomnia. Just curious if anyone had success with an antidepressant to deal with PAWS
Old 11-25-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yup..helped me significantly early on with all that you mentioned. I only made it to 7 weeks tho but am back for another try to do better this time.

I used st john wort and got great results. it's an otc med/herb in the usa. don't even need a script. as u can imagine tho anything mood/mind altering can be habit forming so even tho it's otc u want to be careful.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm on zoloft for my depression/anxiety issues and it does help, though is no miracle worker.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too am on Zoloft (sertraline) for depression and anxiety and it helps a lot.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Has your doctor suggested it may help?
Old 11-25-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was really struggling with staying sober until I started meds. Not Zoloft though. Everyone is different, and your Dr. knows best. Best to you!
Old 11-25-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I take prozac but I've taken that for years, way before I got into drugs and drink. I'd see a doctor if you're feeling low though as it's a common issue and there's a lot of options to deal with it :-)
Old 11-25-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for replying. Yes, my doctor did suggest it but I wanted to hear from people who have used it to make it through the long term part of withdrawal. I'm going to have him write the RX. Has anyone had success or know someone who was able to taper off the SSRI after a period of time to make it through withdrawal and not feel the need to keep using it? I hope it works for me but I also don't want to use it forever.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There are plenty of people that have used them just temporarily to get through rough patches in life, therapy helps as well if you aren't already going.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to be on Wellbutrin for depression, and I recognized that the longer I was sober the worse that my depression symptoms become, so I dug through my old meds and found some from the last prescription. 2 days on my old script has me feeling SO much better. I'm seeing my primary next week for a real prescription. I don't like SSRIs because they are hard going on to and coming off from, and that's why I stick with Wellbutrin, but I think anything that helps get your brain through a hard time is worth trying.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by David321 View Post
Has anyone had success or know someone who was able to taper off the SSRI after a period of time to make it through withdrawal and not feel the need to keep using it? I hope it works for me but I also don't want to use it forever.
Yes, I have. I have been on Paxil for major depression and I titrated myself off. The trick is to do it VERY gradually and VERY slowly. It took me 6 months to go from 10mg to 0. You have to be aware of symptoms returning and adjust accordingly, but it's certainly possible.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As a side note, be careful of St. John's Wort and some meds as they interact.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have taken an SSRI for 12 years. Changed my life for the better. I had anger issues and they helped level me out.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I cannot wait to feel better. It's crazy how one day I was on top of the world and the very next day my life changed. It's been a rough 2.5 months to say the least.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Try this book

Has anyone here that is or was going through protracted withdrawal, take Zoloft or any other SSRI to help the process? I'm about 2.5 months sober and I'm still struggling with the stress, anxiety, occasional panic attack, and insomnia. Just curious if anyone had success with an antidepressant to deal with PAWS
You may find it useful to consult books by Dr. Peter Breggin, such as "The Antidepressant Fact Book". You local library should be able to get you a copy.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bearcat22 View Post
You may find it useful to consult books by Dr. Peter Breggin, such as "The Antidepressant Fact Book". You local library should be able to get you a copy.
Found it on iBooks. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good Luck

Found it on iBooks. Thank you!
You will find that Dr. Breggin is a controversial figure. When I learned that most antidepressants are literally poisonous, something my doctor never mentioned, he asked me where I learned this.

I told him about The Antidepressant Fact Book. My psychiatrist snapped, "He's only one doctor!"

I replied, "Galileo was only one astronomer. Are you saying that made him wrong?"

He got a look on his face like he had a dog turd in his mouth, and threw me out of his office.

In my long experience, doctors tend to be arrogant, cowardly, highly conformist and largely ignorant.

You may be wise to read this book, then keep it to yourself that you have done so.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've actually read somewhere that Prozac can be helpful in treatment of alcohol abuse.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

SSRIs, let's see.. A few years back there were some studies showing SSRIs induced cravings for alcohol. I believe it was due to genetic variation in sensitivity of one of the serotonin receptors.

Most likely research was being done within the pharmaceutical industry to develop a drug that blocked that receptor, so there's probably a whole new group of SSRIs or meds that block cravings for alcohol. I'm sure your doctor will know!

I hope you feel better soon!