SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Newbie to all his (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/400889-newbie-all-his.html)

NewBeginnings13 11-24-2016 02:20 PM

Newbie to all his

Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm brand new to recovery and attended my first AA meeting last night. I finally decided enough was enough and it was time to get serious about my health.

I recently lost a friend who aspirated into her lungs while sleeping off a binge. It caused a heart attack. She was so young and it was so tragic. It forced me to look at my own life and drinking.

I liked the AA meeting and met some warm and compassionate people there. I am however terrified of withdrawal symptoms. I looked all over the internet on how to avoid them (like that's even possible) and one site discussed tapering off. It said if you follow a certain schedule you can taper without the horrible symptoms. I've scheduled my entire next week with what I'll be doing and also scheduled "projects" to take up my "trigger times." My house may actually get really clean!

So far, I'm feeling pretty OK and even have an appetite. Its the insomnia that's getting me right now. And my hands are a bit shaky but that's gotten better this afternoon. I'm basically on day 2. Drinking tons of water, taking vitamin B (I read that somewhere) and taking it minute by minute.

Sorry for the ramble. I just wanted to introduce myself. So glad I found this site. I've already learned so much.

Kris47 11-24-2016 02:24 PM

A big Welcome and glad you've joined us here, NB!

Day 2 is a great start.

Just stay the course and stay close to SR.

Mattq2 11-24-2016 02:28 PM

Hello new,
Glad your here . Insomnia was the worst part for me in the beginning. It helped to try to eat a good healthy meal at night. I also learned not to lay in bed a toss and turn. I spent nights reading or watching movies until I was good and sleepy. The good thing is I found I didn't need much sober sleep to feel great the next day. Good luck my friend and we are here for you.

Dee74 11-24-2016 02:32 PM

I'm really sorry for your loss NewBeginnings.
A little insomnia is pretty much part of every withdrawal I ever had...and others have experienced the shakes.

Of course if it concerns you see your Dr, but I hope each day you'll start to feel a little better :)

D

SeaOfSerenity 11-24-2016 02:33 PM

welcome 13. take every day as it come and good luck!

PurpleKnight 11-24-2016 03:11 PM

Welcome to the Forum NewBeginnings!! :wave:

leasha24 11-24-2016 06:31 PM

Welcome to the site! You will find much great advice here and all the support you'll need. I'm at 11 months sober and when I quit I was on this site daily - not always posting but educating myself as well.
SR is a great tool to use in recovery as it is such a great support system. I remember waking up my first sober New Years (I was only 4 days sober at this point) to hearing my neighbors out partying and celebrating and I was alone in my bed, newly single, and without my best friend named alcohol. I logged on here and posted and there were immediate replies which made me realize I truly wasn't alone.

So if you're ever feeling down or like you need someone to talk to feel free to private message me or post on here: Congrats on making the decision to become sober - it's been the single greatest decision I've ever made in my life.

-Leasha

SnazzyDresser 11-24-2016 06:41 PM

Hi there, NewBeginnings! Glad you made the scene, SR can help you stay sober.

least 11-24-2016 06:48 PM

Welcome to the family. :) You've made a smart decision to get sober. It takes some effort but you won't regret it. :)

FreeOwl 11-25-2016 04:32 AM

Welcome.

This is a really wonderful choice you've made.

I'm glad you're here

thomas11 11-25-2016 08:15 AM

If you are planning to taper, I'm curious to know how you are doing as the week goes on. Its tough, but doable.

NewBeginnings13 11-25-2016 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by thomas11 (Post 6220958)
If you are planning to taper, I'm curious to know how you are doing as the week goes on. Its tough, but doable.

I found a site that tells you exactly how to do this starting with the Baseline (what you have been drinking and how much, which was a shock to me when I figured out just how much I've been drinking) and gives you step by step instructions. I've done it for two days and feel much, much better. I'm an obsessive planner so I wrote it all down in my planner and even bought stickers to remind me. It's another addiction I have. I don't leave home without my planner.

I usually have quite a bit on Thanksgiving but this year did not. I had one glass of wine and turned down a second and turned down some shots. Hubby was right there with me and supported my decision as tough as it was. That was yesterday, this is today. One day at a time, right?

Going to my second AA meeting tonight.

Marri 11-25-2016 09:50 AM

NewBie, you are absolutely on the right track. We have to take it one day at a time. AA has wonderful literature, but I can also recommend the NA - Narcotics Anonymous' publication "Just for Today". You can subscribe to their daily inspirational e-mail. It's the first thing I read on my tablet every morning. You could also buy it in book form.

thomas11 11-26-2016 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by NewBeginnings13 (Post 6220978)
I found a site that tells you exactly how to do this starting with the Baseline (what you have been drinking and how much, which was a shock to me when I figured out just how much I've been drinking) and gives you step by step instructions. I've done it for two days and feel much, much better. I'm an obsessive planner so I wrote it all down in my planner and even bought stickers to remind me. It's another addiction I have. I don't leave home without my planner.

I usually have quite a bit on Thanksgiving but this year did not. I had one glass of wine and turned down a second and turned down some shots. Hubby was right there with me and supported my decision as tough as it was. That was yesterday, this is today. One day at a time, right?

Going to my second AA meeting tonight.

I successfully tapered a couple times. If there is anything I can convey to you is that you will still feel uncomfortable at times (and you;ll want to drink more), but if you drink as little as possible, you can get your way through it. I also put a huge emphasis on eating properly. I wish you well. Keep us updated.