Blogs

Notices

Symptoms

Old 11-24-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Symptoms

I'm two months sober now. Dr seems to think I'm suffering from post acute withdrawal. I didn't think I drank enough to go through this (2-6 beers a day and occasionally more for 8 years). It started with horrible panic attacks,zero appetite, very difficult sleeping, depression etc. now I have a constant state of stress and anxiety. My body is exhausted but my mind won't let me sleep. Still depressed. I just feel like I'm hardly ever calm and relaxed. Does this sound normal? I'm miserable.
The Following User Says Thank You to David321 For This Useful Post:
Anna (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know what normal is. That wouldn't be normal for me. Has your dr done a full blood work up? Including blood sugar and vitamins (b vits, d etc)?
The Following User Says Thank You to entropy1964 For This Useful Post:
Delilah1 (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey David,
I would say it's very important to listen to your doctor. Withdrawl is diffrent for everyone. It's been diffrent for me every time I quit. Only thing I know is eventually everything gets better. Stick with it my friend
The Following User Says Thank You to Mattq2 For This Useful Post:
Delilah1 (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

yes, you described my symptoms pretty much spot on. I'm 3 months sober. its very slowly getting better
The Following User Says Thank You to SeaOfSerenity For This Useful Post:
August252015 (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're checking in with your doctor. Does she have suggestions for dealing with your symptoms? Anxiety truly sucks! It seems like the collective stress level in the US is sky high right now (not sure of your location), though there is still much to be thankful for. Stick with us, and we'll talk each other through some of the tough times. Welcome to SR
The Following User Says Thank You to JK130 For This Useful Post:
Delilah1 (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by David321 View Post

It started with horrible panic attacks,zero appetite, very difficult sleeping, depression etc. now I have a constant state of stress and anxiety.

Does this sound normal?
From what I've seen in ones entering Recovery
I would say that -- no -- it's not normal
but
for me I suffered with pretty much the same as you for three or four months.
It cleared up in time -- about when I was wondering when if ever will I get better ?
All I can say is hang tight -- sobriety is the best road for us.

M-Bob
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mountainmanbob For This Useful Post:
August252015 (11-24-2016), JK130 (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeaOfSerenity View Post
yes, you described my symptoms pretty much spot on. I'm 3 months sober. its very slowly getting better
It's reassuring to know I'm not alone with this. You were suffering from the panic attacks too? I went to the ER thinking I was dying. What are you doing for sleep? I have a RX for Klonopin but I'm only using them in emergency situations (panic attacks)
Old 11-24-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
From what I've seen in ones entering Recovery
I would say that -- no -- it's not normal
but
for me I suffered with pretty much the same as you for three or four months.
It cleared up in time -- about when I was wondering when if ever will I get better ?
All I can say is hang tight -- sobriety is the best road for us.

M-Bob
I've been very slowly better so hopefully this goes away soon. I've been thinking the same thing. I feel like I'll never be the same Again. I'm glad you are doing well! I'll keep on keepin on
The Following User Says Thank You to David321 For This Useful Post:
Mountainmanbob (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The alcohol may have been covering up a previously developed condition, hard to tell. I would say staying in touch with your doctor is your best bet. Sorry you are miserable.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

Originally Posted by David321 View Post
It's reassuring to know I'm not alone with this. You were suffering from the panic attacks too? I went to the ER thinking I was dying. What are you doing for sleep? I have a RX for Klonopin but I'm only using them in emergency situations (panic attacks)
yes, I too was hospitalised following a panic attack, initially I thought it was a heart attack and so did they. I thought I was going to die too, I had actually resigned myself to it.
I went to rehab after and was detoxed for a week on Librium. after that I spent a week suffering panic attack after panic attack and living in perpetual anxiety. I was nearly sectioned but put on antidepressants which calmed me down.

I pretty much drank exactly the same amount as you weirdly for around 12 years. never anything strong

sleep wise I find if I don't exercise I don't sleep well. much the same with eating and drinking enough water, if I slip I get anxiety. I'm really trying to go down the natural path as much as I can so Ive accepted for things to get better I must tolerate the **** times. nothing will ever be worse than that week after detox, I see it as if I can get through that than I can most things

from there to 3months I wouldn't have believed how different it is and that's a relatively short time in recovery
The Following User Says Thank You to SeaOfSerenity For This Useful Post:
Kaily (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi David,

I'm glad you posted and it's good that you're talking to your dr.

It could be that you had been masking the symptoms with alcohol and that, in recovery, you may have to work on those things. Don't hesitate to go back to your dr if the symptoms continue.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JK130 View Post
I'm glad you're checking in with your doctor. Does she have suggestions for dealing with your symptoms? Anxiety truly sucks! It seems like the collective stress level in the US is sky high right now (not sure of your location), though there is still much to be thankful for. Stick with us, and we'll talk each other through some of the tough times. Welcome to SR
Thank you. I'm located on the east coast in the US and I can attest to the stress and anxiety. I'm seeing a psychologist but she says she isn't very educated on addiction and withdrawal. I'm going to find another psychologist. She did recommend AA meetings though. I'm not worried about drinking again but I'll give AA a shot.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeaOfSerenity View Post
yes, I too was hospitalised following a panic attack, initially I thought it was a heart attack and so did they. I thought I was going to die too, I had actually resigned myself to it.
I went to rehab after and was detoxed for a week on Librium. after that I spent a week suffering panic attack after panic attack and living in perpetual anxiety. I was nearly sectioned but put on antidepressants which calmed me down.

I pretty much drank exactly the same amount as you weirdly for around 12 years. never anything strong

sleep wise I find if I don't exercise I don't sleep well. much the same with eating and drinking enough water, if I slip I get anxiety. I'm really trying to go down the natural path as much as I can so Ive accepted for things to get better I must tolerate the **** times. nothing will ever be worse than that week after detox, I see it as if I can get through that than I can most things

from there to 3months I wouldn't have believed how different it is and that's a relatively short time in recovery
Now I can kinda look back on it and laugh cause I was ready to give up during that first panic attack too. I had accepted that I was going to die. It lasted for two hours before the ER doc could get some meds in me. I had many more attacks like that but I was prescribed Klonopin to stop the attacks. The first two weeks were by far the worst two weeks of my life. I've def come a long way but things seem to be improving at a slower rate now.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've had withdraw panic attacks and anxiety before. Started when I tried to quit about where you were intake wise.

Like others, I'd recommend talking to your Dr. Specifically I'd recommend that you ask about nutrition and excercise. Both of those really helped me. Also, SR has an anxiety forum that really helps as well.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Underlying depression and anxiety issues are very common causes for many to turn to booze in the first place (I am one of them) You might want to talk to a therapist as it may not be alcohol related at all.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have the real bad anxiety too, can't sleep, and basically feel they same way you do. It's really hard to deal with. I just keep plugging through each day hoping it will get better.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maggie0119 View Post
I have the real bad anxiety too, can't sleep, and basically feel they same way you do. It's really hard to deal with. I just keep plugging through each day hoping it will get better.
How long ago did you quit drinking and how much were you drinking?, if you don't mind me asking. My mind has been racing all day and the anxiety causes very uncomfortable symptoms. My body is exhausted and all I want to do is sleep but that's not happening. Now I see why people say **** it and start drinking again. I'm gonna look for the anxiety forum on here
Old 11-24-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll feel better soon David. I was drinking all day everyday for several years, had some mini strokes, and was still feeling much better at 3 months...hang in there

D
Old 11-24-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sleep can be frustratingly elusive for months and months after you stop drinking, and for some insomnia is not a problem at all. Don't give on your sobriety plan if you can't sleep...come join us. Someone is almost always up and about, and willing to chat.