Notices

Blocking out the Pain

Old 11-23-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blocking out the Pain

The mental side of the withdrawals is my stumbling block! There's are so many mistakes and regrets it's to much to block out sober. Another day one today, hopefully I can keep busy, I don't think I can ever be where I was, no matter how hard i try. But I guess anywhere is better than this.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I felt the same, but as I kept on in recovery I realized little by little that what they said was true: I really wasn't God. I was human. And because of that I made mistakes. Lots of them. And because of my addiction and alcoholism, I hurt people deepy. Ruined their lives and mine. But, I also came to know that I never asked to become an alcoholic or addict. I made a lot of bad mistakes. I have lots of regrets. But I'm learning to forgive myself a little at a time. I did the best I had with what I had. I didn't know any better. Learn to forgive yourself. Try to make amends and make things right where and when you can. Then let go and let your HP or whatever you believe in take it from there. You don't have to be perfect. You only have to be you. That's all anyone should ever expect.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Shame, guilt and regrets can often lead us back to drinking. It's so important to accept what has been done and learn to live differently in the future.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewRomanMan View Post
I felt the same, but as I kept on in recovery I realized little by little that what they said was true: I really wasn't God. I was human. And because of that I made mistakes. Lots of them. And because of my addiction and alcoholism, I hurt people deepy. Ruined their lives and mine. But, I also came to know that I never asked to become an alcoholic or addict. I made a lot of bad mistakes. I have lots of regrets. But I'm learning to forgive myself a little at a time. I did the best I had with what I had. I didn't know any better. Learn to forgive yourself. Try to make amends and make things right where and when you can. Then let go and let your HP or whatever you believe in take it from there. You don't have to be perfect. You only have to be you. That's all anyone should ever expect.
Thank you newromanman. Well put. I have struggled with remorse about drinking for years. I am making progress, but it can be hard. Learning to forgive yourself is an important part of recovery.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can do it Jim, and when you do, it will be worth the effort.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best way I found to atone for past mistakes and regrets is never make the same mistakes or have cause to feel the same regrets again.

The best and easier way I know to do that is not drinking.

D
Old 11-23-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewRomanMan View Post
This reminded me of one of my favorite quotes by Maya Angelou

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better".

These words have really helped me when I start to feel overwhelmed by my past. Allowing ourselves to obsess over things we cannot change can keep us sick. Regardless of the past, I know better now, so I try to do better. Staying sober is the first huge step towards doing better.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mistakes and regrets are nothing more than a platform to learn and grow from. The pain from our mistakes and regrets is a tough lesson but once learnt, we don't ever have to repeat it.
You can do this, don't give into the addictive voice in your head, instead tell it to 'be quite'....remember HALT, hungry , angry lonely, tired; .....and stay close to us here, post if it gets tough.