Notices

Over the edge

Old 11-23-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Over the edge

I'm back today since I decided NOT to drink today. Over the past several weeks I would drink and drink until I eventually passed out. Alcohol is destroying my life and have to quit now.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving where I'm going to a couple places with my drinking buddy. She doesn't realize how severe my drinking has been and we will be surrounded by alcohol. Plus we will be making a trip to the hospital since my son was in an accident a week ago. So, I've been an emotional mess with him which leads me to more drinking.

I don't know what else to say outside of the last time I was on here, I received an overwhelming amount of support. SR saved me before and hope it saves me again.

Thanks for listening
Old 11-23-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job deciding to not drink today, cat. Best of luck with Thanksgiving, and maybe have a way out if the temptation is too much to handle.

I hope your son heals quickly.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Any chance you can ditch the drinking places tomorrow? It'll be very hard to not drink if you're surrounded by drinkers. I couldn't do it.
I hope your son recovers soon. I totally understand drinking due to stress, but it doesn't solve a single thing- just makes it much harder to deal with.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

whats more important- going to drinking places with your "drinking buddy"
or
being there for your son?
Old 11-23-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome cat, you can do this.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My friend will be driving and I actually told her this morning that I'm going on the wagon. I'm just not looking forward to all the interaction with other people. My son needs support and he's number one priority. I know I can't go on with the drinking every day. The with drawls are pretty bad today and I know health wise, it will be better tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If it were me, I wouldn't go to the places where people will be drinking. I can be around it now, but not in early recovery.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back.

I would not go out tomorrow with your drinking friend. If you want interaction with people, why not stay around the hospital visiting your son and maybe try to cheer up some people who have no visitors on the Holiday. I hope your son gets well soon.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My situation is that I do not have a vehicle to get to the hospital. My friend is driving me but I don't think she's going to drink and drive. We are going to her Son's house for dinner and she has made a point NOT to drink around him since they get into some pretty heated arguments. Again, I'm going to tell her that I need to stop drinking and ask for her support. I don't want my family knowing how bad I am though.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

A true friend will understand and support.

God speed on your son's returning to good health
Old 11-23-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It looks like you joined in 2010, so this has been a struggle for awhile now. I hope you can find the strength to quit for good soon. As you mentioned, your health may suffer, and you can't go on like this. Maybe think about making it your number one priority for now.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's some good advice here. Honestly? I'd get a cab to the hospital and maybe spend the day with your son, instead.

Granted I don't know all the deets here, so if there's really no other alternative, I still believe it's possible for you to stay sober over thanksgiving. It may not be much fun, but it is possible.

I look forward to you telling us you made it through sober

D
Old 11-23-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As horrible as I feel right now, drinking is the last thing I want to do. I am looking forward, down the road to feeling normal again. I remember how good I felt as being normal and really want that back again.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i hope ya know drinking buddies dont include not drinking around the person asking for support as part of support.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad to see you posting- if you decide to go on this very risky outing with your friend(s), you can have SR on your phone as a handy recourse. Plenty take that route. It's still a risk.

You're in FL - have an uber or lyft account yet? Bet drivers will be plenty available today since lots of people WILL be drinking. Someone I'd "hope" wouldn't drink and drive isn't my best bet (ever).

I chose only safe people, places and situations for the first 100 days or so of my recovery - and have been very selective in what I do since. Just passed 9 mo and a plan of ruthlessly including ONLY people who support me as well as try to live their own best lives (your friend's drinking is up to them, as was noted, and cannot be relied upon to keep you sober).

I hope you choose sobriety today.

Good luck.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear about your son. If you can avoid hanging out in an alcohol-fuelled environment, it might be best. You're currently going through stress and you're newly sober so it could be difficult for you and make you feel worse
Old 11-24-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the suggestions to stay away from a drinking environment. I just spoke to my girlfriend/ride and explained that I am not drinking anymore. She fully understands and wants to jump on the wagon with me. We have had many occasions that did not revolve around drinking so we're gonna do it again. Her son has a serious drinking issue and I feel seeing him in the flesh all messed up will make me stronger. This will be my chance to talk to him about his drinking issues. I can do this!

I know that I must stay sober for my Son and my own well-being. I've been off work for a week going back and forth to the hospital and drinking.

I'm getting started on my Day 2 and feel a little better than yesterday. Today will be comprised with a few people and lots of food. This is going to be a challenge since I was not able to eat anything yesterday except for a smoothie. I don't think I'll have to worry about overdoing the food portions today.

Thanks again for all the support and I'll check back with an update after my adventures today.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 9 months August!

I've had experience with sobriety and drunkenness over the years. I will have to face my demons, get back to work, get my head straight, clean my house, and live a clean sober life.

The last experience with sobriety it took about a week before I didn't even think of alcohol since I know the devastation it can cause. I just need to change my diet and stock the fridge with healthy drink options.

Have a great day!
Old 11-24-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 2 and glad you're feeling better. I hope your son is improving as well.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Congrats on day 2 and glad you're feeling better. I hope your son is improving as well.
Thanks. I still feel a tremendous hangover, shakes, etc but better than yesterday. I am confident it will get better and better each day.

My son is doing much better than the docs expected. Many fractured bones including his right arm busted up. I need to stay sober for him when he gets out of the hospital. I will have a lot of responsibility and will need a straight head to get through his recovery.

Also looking forward to going back to work tomorrow. That was always my rescue mission since it keeps my mind occupied.