Notices

Dbt

Old 11-23-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dbt

Hello. I'm looking into local IOP locations in my area. One of the places I'm looking at specializes in Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). I'm not familiar with this. Does anyone on here have experience with DBT? How did it work for you? What aspects of it did you like? What did you not like?

Thanks for any feedback you can offer! I'm not sure if I'm ready to take the plunge into IOP yet, but I'm getting closer.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Don't know much about DBT, but i did IOP and it was the best thing I could have done to set myself up for a life of sobriety. I learned a lot, made lasting connections with a couple of other women who were there, and created a solid foundation to stand on as I started my journey. I was really ready for it, which helped. But even some people who started the program at about the same time I did were ordered to be there, and didn't seem to want to be there at first, came around quickly and embraced what the program had to offer.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I didn't go to a formal program but did use a handbook. I found it to be a very useful way to learn new coping strategies.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jazzfish, do you mind sharing the name of the handbook you referenced? I'd like to read up a bit.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was involved in a DBT program a while ago. It was a great program and I learned a lot. It has to do with the faulty messages we give ourselves which we eventually come to believe. The program helps to replace these thoughts and develop more realistic and positive ways of viewing ourselves and others. Hope that helps. John
Old 11-23-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I saw a private psychologist for DBT. The most valuable aspect I found was making fitness goals, sobriety goals, and stopping to check myself before I wreck myself. This wasn't mentioned in therapy, but I also started doing yoga and dancing again. It's actually nice to start off the day with meditation, relaxation and stretches, as it kind of sets the tone for the entire day. In DBT I think they recommend taking up a martial art, but I haven't been able to afford that. Whatever is relaxing works I guess. I feel the anger, frustration, and hopelessness while I was poisoning myself daily has washed over me to some extent.

Best wishes Soberlife.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, do you know what "the zone" is? That's when you are intensely focused on what you are doing, and some people have noticed time distortions while doing it, mostly athletes, martial artists and creative artists. That mental state is really good for you. For me, it's with drawing. I can spend 7 hours straight drawing once I'm in the zone. So if you have a talent, taking time for that can be beneficial. I learned this in psych101, not DBT, and it's called "positive psychology". Basically the idea is that depression is a symptom of lifestyle and not necessarily an illness in itself.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have found that mindfulness meditation and yoga can put me in the zone so it is an integral part of my recovery. It's worth a try.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the idea. I've never heard of the zone. Can't say I have any spectacular talent that I can put to use, but I do like to read, and find that when I drink, I don't read at all. Perhaps I should lose myself in a good book rather that picking up the bottle. It would be better for my mind and spirit.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by SoberLifeForMe View Post
Jazzfish, do you mind sharing the name of the handbook you referenced? I'd like to read up a bit.
It is called the Dialectical Behavioral Therapy Skills Workbook.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks much. I'm going to look for this title.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm going into treatment sometime soon and I'm going to pick some books up around recovery stuff. My psychiatrist recommended DBT to help with my bpd issues. I am sure it will help with a lot of things. I know I started reading up on the web about it and implemented a few things and seemed to really help.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just wanted to welcome you to SR.:-)
Old 11-24-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
I'm going into treatment sometime soon and I'm going to pick some books up around recovery stuff. My psychiatrist recommended DBT to help with my bpd issues. I am sure it will help with a lot of things. I know I started reading up on the web about it and implemented a few things and seemed to really help.
Good luck with treatment. Actually I was lucky cause my first experience with DBT was in the same hospital as the treatment program was. John
Old 11-24-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
waking down

I haven't done therapy with DBT, but I've done some reading, and it is aligned with the work I've done through workbooks, mindfulness/meditation, and yoga classes. DBT grew out of CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) and added mindfulness techniques. I became interested in DBT when I was told that what I've been doing is very similar. Changing my thinking and thus my emotional state through acceptance (self and life) and meditation has changed me and my life for the better in ways I cannot fully explain here. If I felt a need at this time to pursue therapy I would look for someone trained in DBT and/or ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy). Happy trails!