Notices

Newbie -- where to start?

Old 11-23-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie -- where to start?

Hi, everyone,

This is my first post. I've never been medically diagnosed with alcoholism, but I think I meet the criteria. Due to various stressors in life, I've been drinking a LOT, to the point where I go through withdrawals if I run out of a bottle. The drinking got really bad after I was diagnosed with cancer a year ago, and I had to go on chemotherapy, which makes me vomit like crazy. Strangely, alcohol stimulates my appetite, so I just drank more and more to avoid nausea around food. But I'm at the point where I need alcohol in my system all the time just to function, and I don't even feel tipsy. I think my bottom was around a month and a half ago, when late at night I was feeling down and bought a few Lime-a-rita beers, then sat on the steps of an elementary school, drank them, and passed out. Cops found me and luckily just drove me home without arresting me, although they said could have if they wanted to, but I have a clean record.... but who knows what could happen again?

Basically I don't know what I'm doing except seeking support, I guess? Maybe? I'm a little confused because my liver functions are fine, but I still feel like I'm dependent on alcohol, so I just thought I'd post and introduce myself and figure out what in the world I should do from here.

Thanks for listening!
Alexandra
Old 11-23-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Alexandra and welcome!

I've had two bouts with cancer and now a third. Cancer sucks. I've been very fortunate however so I'm not going to complain. My husband died from it 5 years ago....could be a lot worse. Alcohol abuse also greatly increases cancer risks.

If you're physically addicted you probably don't need a medical prognosis of alcoholic. I know I never needed one. Always knew. And my liver is fine. It has been my experience, this is not a medical opinion, that everyone is different. Some people can drink for years and not have much liver damage, but have damage to other organs, or have onset of other disease....like cancer. My father is a severe alcoholic. Liver is fine. Brain? Not so much. Its swiss cheese now. That scares the heck out of me.

Do you want to quit?
Old 11-23-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Alexandra.

I would say if alcohol is a problem for you - which it sounds as if that is true - then quitting is the solution. Doesn't really matter what you call it, life is much better without it. I don't go around telling people I'm an alcoholic, it's a private matter to me. It's a personal decision and a personal diagnosis.

I hope you quit now, before medical intervention becomes necessary. Many people continue to drink even after a serious diagnosis. I'd say being picked up by the police is a pretty big red flag.

I hope you spend some time reading around this forum, there is a deep well of wisdom and support here. Keep talking to us. We're glad you're here.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Bimi gives great suggestions. Every single thing is better in my life now that I am sober, including medical conditions. Not drinking certainly can't hurt any other physical thing our bodies encounter.

Hope to see you around!
Good luck.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

If alcohol is causing problems in your life, then why not stop drinking? The diagnosis or the label 'alcoholic' are not the most important things. How you feel about yourself and your life is what matters.

I'm sorry to hear you've been dealing with cancer, which I'm sure is very scary. I think you may find, when you have a clear and sober head, the choices and decisions you make will be the right ones. And, as Frick said, alcohol increases the risk of cancer.

Take a look around here and read and post. We do understand how hard this is.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Alexandra!!
Old 11-23-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

This site is a lot safer alternative then passing out on some steps somewhere.
Next time, it could be someone other then the police finding you and it could up very bad
Old 11-23-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Alexadra! So sorry to hear about the cancer. Coming here is an excellent first step. I've fallen off the wagon several times over the years but once you get alcohol out of your system, the body and mind will feel better.

The last week or so I would wake up whether it's 3 am or just before noon and immediately start drinking because my body is begging for it. Today is my day one and just trying to get by one minute at a time.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

A big welcome from me too AlexandraV

D