Notices

A thanksgiving of joy and freedom

Old 11-22-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A thanksgiving of joy and freedom

Here's to a fun, free and happy holiday! I am stocking up on sparkling juices, sweets and tweaking my plan to ensure I enjoy the time with my family and have no regrets. Lots of activities planned, including a trip to cut our own tree!

Why not give a post, and check in and let us know what's going on as we move toward the holiday weekend?
Old 11-22-2016, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good morning! I'm planning a trip with my girlfriend and our dog, out into a national park in the southwest US. We're not camping, we got a cabin. So we are going to make our favorite harvest dishes to eat outside on the little picnic table there, and spend a lot of time hiking and being outside. I won't be near cell service very much and will have very spotty internet... and that was actually part of the reason we chose this particular location. Time to unplug for a minute!!!
Old 11-22-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2/2016

Last Thanksgiving I drank too much. My mom commented I would need a nursing home before her if I continued the way I was. This year I am sober. I am going to enjoy my family, and I am bringing lots of non-alcoholic beverages for me. My family is not much of a trigger, I am the only problem drinker.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My holidays will be very quiet. Daughter and I are going out for dinner on Thanksgiving. No idea what we'll do for Christmas but not much I'm sure. That's not a bad thing!
Old 11-22-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm having Thanksgiving with my family, at my mother's house. I was sober last year - it was my first sober Thanksgiving. No triggers in my family. There used to be a fair amount of drinking at family gatherings, but for various reasons, most of us don't drink anymore, or very little. It's going to be lovely!
Old 11-22-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

yea

the joy of fellowship/ family/ friends

the freedom of bondage from alcohol/ drugs/ fear/ resentment

Old 11-22-2016, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!!
Old 11-22-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sober style

I'll be kicking it solo, but a nice neighbor lady always brings me a plate. My parents are coming down from Missouri for a visit next week, and we'll have a big meal with pumpkin pie then.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Old 11-22-2016, 10:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I will be at my mother in laws, there will be at least 20 of us there, usually a few other family friends straggle in throughout the day.

I braved the lines at Costco today to get four pies since that was what we were in charge of, also stocked up in some soft drinks and my bow signature Arizona Zero. Looking forward to time with family. I also plan on swapping the calories I normally used on wine for some extra stuffing!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

❤️ Delilah
Old 11-23-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Heading to the usual family dinner.
This Holiday season I feel a lot more comfortable with sobriety and a lot less anxious and fearful than the previous 2 ....
Guess it just takes time!

There is only one problem drinker left in our family circle, and I will just avoid her if she gets annoying.
There are plenty of light or non drinkers to socialize with that that is just more fun these days!

Happy Thanksgiving to all and stay strong!!!
Old 11-23-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread. This will be my 2nd Thanksgiving sober and I'm looking forward to it more than usual. My wife and I have incurred our share of challenges recently but we have persevered. It has caused me to reflect that I do indeed have things to be thankful for.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Feast complete, taking a nap with the little one and watching Charlie Brown Christmas. Sober thanksgivings rock, attitude of gratitude my friends. How is everyone doing tonight?
Old 11-24-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My first sober Thanksgiving today. Spent it at my Dad's house. Four of us. Very low key which is exactly what I needed. I went to a wonderful packed meeting this morning and now I'm catching up on Walking Dead. Life is good. ☺️
Old 11-24-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Spent a quiet Thanksgiving with my partner. We had great food, watched football and now it's time for a movie. It was a really good sober day.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

First sober thanksgiving. I'm at 11 months sober and this was my first sober thanksgiving. After 11 months I'm feel really ready and prepared to tackle this holiday season!

Ran a 5K with a group of friends this morning and had a blast - what a great way to start my day. My family knows I'm sober now as I posted online and there was a published article I wrote about my sobriety and so they made sure tonhave sparkling cider and non-alcoholic drinks at the dinner table for me. I still hate when everyone else is telling the host what they'll have to drink and I can't have alcohol. Still mourning the loss of alcohol but also loving every minute I've been alcohol free....
Old 11-24-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rainypnw View Post
Spent a quiet Thanksgiving with my partner. We had great food, watched football and now it's time for a movie. It was a really good sober day.
That sounds like a perfect thanksgiving day. Just the way you're supposed to spend it - with the ones you love