Notices

Too Drunk for AA...

Old 11-21-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marissa41 View Post
I actually found my AA telephone numbers.. and $200 I hid from myself.. I guess my guardian Angel is working OT..
Awesome!
Old 11-21-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Make sure you do not spend your money stash on a new booze stash.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ok.. texted a number on my list I remembered. We are meeting up at an AA meeting tomorrow. TY Ambuler.. She doesn't remember me and she's younger than I thought but it really doesn't matter.. TY .. The message here is just get out of the zone!..
Old 11-21-2016, 08:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I can buy wine and still have $194 to spend.. :-) but thanks for the thought!
Old 11-21-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

save your 6 dollars Marissa. Be the change you want to see.

D
Old 11-21-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I did save my $6... Sometimes cooking is better than booze!
Old 11-21-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey, that's $194 you didn't have before coming here and posting.

Good job reaching out!

I'm back on the PC instead of mobile so I get to use the emojis lol By staying on the mobile site I've been trying to ignore the "thanks" button and seeing what thanks I may get...it's a trigger for me...

Anyhow, anything that breaks up the usual routine is a step in the right direction. Fear is going to set in tomorrow. Hundreds of reasons that you should just stay home and continue the status quo will haunt your mind....one thing I've learned to try recently is to do the exact opposite of what I would normally do. Not everything, I'm not there yet. But one thing here and there. That's so awesome you have someone to meet at AA tomorrow. I still can't believe it took me so long to do what you just did. It will be worth it. I'm so happy for you.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thx.. My husband's uncle has a B-Day party at a local restaurant tomorrow just before the meeting. So I plan on going.. I'll check back after the meeting tomorrow to let everyone know how I coped..... My husband isn't going because he is an alcoholic and doesn't like to be social, but I like social.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I thought today would be better.. but it's not..
Old 11-22-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Thru the years, I've seen numerous people attend meetings under the influence.
It's more dramatic for a sober person at the meeting to see a person come to a meeting intoxicated then what's being said.

No meeting I've ever been to has turned someone away. Usually, we had the person give up their keys and drove them home.

Most of us reading your posts have been where you are.

I was a tortured soul until I got into AA, I now have hope.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

YOU ARE WORTH IT.Pick yourself up, dust yourself off,we and many more are here for you,,,
Old 11-22-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I really wanted to go to that meeting tonight. I've been trying to go for months now, I think. Excuses are like ***..... lol We all know the saying! But everytime I try to go I have an emotional or mental breakdown. Satan at his finest..
I don't go to bars or liquor stores anymore.. It's beer or wine now. That's bad enough.
It's very unfortunate for us that grocery stores carry beer and wine it just makes it that much harder......try going to a grocery store that does not carry booze.....out of site out of mind
Old 11-22-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thx.. My husband's uncle has a B-Day party at a local restaurant tomorrow just before the meeting. So I plan on going.. I'll check back after the meeting tomorrow to let everyone know how I coped..... My husband isn't going because he is an alcoholic and doesn't like to be social, but I like social.
If there is going to be alcohol i wouldn't go if I were you.....your not ready.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

There's another reason to stop drinking....i added up what I was spending it came to $280 a month!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

welp, ya didn't get to where you are overnight. its taken years.
getting better wont happen overnight and wont happen automatically. theres footwork involved and that takes T.I.M.E.
I drank for 23 years. I knew nothing good was going to come quick nor would anything good come by just putting down the bottle. I knew I had to put in footwork.
have things gotten better? yes, a huge amount better, especially internally.
but it wouldn't be fair for me to answer that completely until ive been sober for 23 years. only fair I give this sobriety and recovery the same amount of time I gave my drinking, but if todays any indication, its only going to be better so long as I continue putting in the footwork.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Yup. The serpant rears his ugly head. He's relentless...

What time is your meeting supposed to be?
Old 11-22-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I've just read through this thread. Sorry today isn't better. What went sideways?

Your husband is an alcoholic? Any chance he'll join you? There are others here who have successfully quite while living with a drinker.

Keep trying. I was optimistic since you'd reached out to an AA member.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you doing Marissa?

D
Old 11-23-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I didn't make it to the meeting last night. By the time I got to the restaurant and had dinner it was too late. But there is a meeting tonight that I have been to before. I want my 30 days before Christmas.

Christmas has always been really bad for me and I never really realized why. It's usually when I ended up in the hospital drinking myself to death. But now I know. It's when my biological father died. I hadn't talked to him for years and he had a heart attack at 46. I was 27. I never let him meet his granddaughter.
Guilt! It's such an ugly thing. He was also an alcoholic. So it's time for me to do better.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Yea, drinking was never the root problem - it was the solution. A structured program certainly helped me drill down into causes and how to deal with solutions to life.

Regrets are part of that. Sobriety is like driving down the road and suddenly slamming on the brakes. All the stuff in the back seat comes flying forward. Slowly at first, but deliberately I find I can make ammends to others ( and myself).

Stay sober today and 30 daze will take care of itself. I had to be willing to go to any lengths. Meetings are very helpful for me, but working the program = principles of AA is what keeps me sober daily.

I respect all methods - AA does not have the market cornered on sobriety. But, I did learn some useful tools, as I continue to do with the fine friends here on SR. Focus and willingness were keys.