Notices

Removing people from my life.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Removing people from my life.

Hi guys,

In light of my recent relapse i am now having to make some changes that i have been aftaid of making up untill now.
I am cutting out friends that are asscoiated with drink and drugs. As much as i still get along with these people and can have a laugh with them, its now dangerous for me to be around them. Its a difficult decision but from here on in I want to be surrounded by sobriety and imediate family only.
I am happy to speak to old buddies if they wish to call or message about non alcohol and drug related matters but distancing myself from drinking establishments and situations that involve drinking is my number 1 priority. I want to get sober but also i want to get emotional sobriety and a stable existence. I want to be happy joyous and free not just abstaining from drink. Meetings are key and i will be here on SR regularly too. Im not going to let alcohol and drugs destroy my life. I refuse to let the bastard stuff ruin my family.

Its time to get serious.

Peace. RJ
Old 11-21-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! I asked this question on here the other day actually and most agree that it's not fun hanging out with drunks while sober. About 8 years ago I had a friend of 15yrs "go" sober and I supported his decision 100% but, I still partied. After a month of his sobriety he vanished and blocked all contact from me and another good friend of ours. I just accepted that's what he needed to do to get/stay sober.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was something I needed to do too RJY. I haven;t regretted it, and I imagine my old drinking buds got on OK too

D
Old 11-21-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Always a good idea to avoid the drinking spots and those who populate them, RJY. I think that you will find in time that bars and pubs are really boring places to be if you are not drinking. Peace.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The lense we need to look through is, "Does this action move me towards sobriety or away?" If we look at every aspect of our lives through this lense we significantly increase of chances of staying sober. The dumping of drinking friends and drinking situations are just a few of the many many changes I made
Old 11-21-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like a real positive decision for your Sobreity RJ . . . fantastic!!
Old 11-21-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Putting your "buddies" at arms length is almost as hard as quitting itself, but its totally necessary. In the end, those that see your progress may have a newfound respect for you and possibly follow your lead. Its good to be a leader.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
The lense we need to look through is, "Does this action move me towards sobriety or away?" If we look at every aspect of our lives through this lense we significantly increase of chances of staying sober. The dumping of drinking friends and drinking situations are just a few of the many many changes I made
Exactly!!! This is why I say I am ruthless about who gets a place in my life. I just don't allow people who aren't both supportive of my sobriety and trying to be their best selves to have room in my life.

Sounds like you have some good thinking here.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is scary because that is all you know and what you've always connected to. When you change your thoughts and your actions, you will attract different experiences and different kinds of people in to your life. You don't have to worry about lack, the spaces we always filled with alcohol and drinking people, they can't just stay empty, something else falls in to their place. But I think if your mind is focused on the idea that there's now gonna be an empty void there, you'll allow anything to fill it up, some other vice, or the alcohol again, just to fill it. It'll take a moment, to move on from what you don't want, and allow what you want to come in.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RJY9 View Post
Hi guys,

In light of my recent relapse i am now having to make some changes that i have been aftaid of making up untill now.
I am cutting out friends that are asscoiated with drink and drugs. As much as i still get along with these people and can have a laugh with them, its now dangerous for me to be around them. Its a difficult decision but from here on in I want to be surrounded by sobriety and imediate family only.
I am happy to speak to old buddies if they wish to call or message about non alcohol and drug related matters but distancing myself from drinking establishments and situations that involve drinking is my number 1 priority. I want to get sober but also i want to get emotional sobriety and a stable existence. I want to be happy joyous and free not just abstaining from drink. Meetings are key and i will be here on SR regularly too. Im not going to let alcohol and drugs destroy my life. I refuse to let the bastard stuff ruin my family.

Its time to get serious.

Peace. RJ
You sounds like you are serious about this good job😊
Old 11-22-2016, 03:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Exactly!!! This is why I say I am ruthless about who gets a place in my life. I just don't allow people who aren't both supportive of my sobriety and trying to be their best selves to have room in my life.

Sounds like you have some good thinking here.
It is not just people. It can be places and things. It can be actions or inactions. I can choose to exercise, go to an AA meeting, meet with sober friends or not. These actions leads me towards sobriety not doing them leads me away