Notices

Brand New to Recovery

Old 11-21-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brand New to Recovery

Hello,

I've been flirting with recovery for a long time (10 years maybe) and never really made the decision to quit until yesterday. I'm still hungover from a bender this past weekend. My hangovers these days last about 3 days. I'm 38, a happily married mother of 2 great kids, 3 and 5. They have witnessed some of this and I just can't go on the way I am. They have tried to wake me up when I have been passed out to no avail. I have given them baths and put them to bed without remembering. My husband has been extremely supportive and has been by my side trying to work through this, but I've had it.

This is the short version. Just thought I would say hi. I'm thinking about AA as I know I'm going to need external support going into the holiday season and not drinking. Anyone had success there?

Thanks for reading.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ELeigh View Post
Hello,

I've been flirting with recovery for a long time (10 years maybe) and never really made the decision to quit until yesterday. I'm still hungover from a bender this past weekend. My hangovers these days last about 3 days. I'm 38, a happily married mother of 2 great kids, 3 and 5. They have witnessed some of this and I just can't go on the way I am. They have tried to wake me up when I have been passed out to no avail. I have given them baths and put them to bed without remembering. My husband has been extremely supportive and has been by my side trying to work through this, but I've had it.

This is the short version. Just thought I would say hi. I'm thinking about AA as I know I'm going to need external support going into the holiday season and not drinking. Anyone had success there?

Thanks for reading.
Hi. Welcome. Glad you found us, and glad you've made that decision to give sobriety and recovery a real shot.

Regarding AA, I started going after doing the first month alone and feeling like I was going really quite mad. It has made a huge, huge difference to my life. More than I can get across online. I'm a very grateful member. The other thing that made a massive difference is this forum. The people on here are so supportive and full of excellent advise.

Read and post here often, and check out the AA meetings near you. When you look at the list, 'closed' meetings just means that it's for alcoholics only. 'Open' meetings are for alcoholics plus anyone else with an interest in alcoholism (professionals, family, friends of alcoholics, or whatever). That really confused me when I tried to find meetings. I couldn't understand how all the meetings had closed down lol.

Anyway. I wish you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 11-21-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you have decided to stop drinking. This is a link with information on a variety of programs that our members have used:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 11-21-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Eleigh! Lots of information to peruse here. I hope you find it helpful!
Old 11-21-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi ELeigh, good for you on your positive decision to quit, from one mum to another. Lots of "gold" information and insights on SR. Read around. SummerBee.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Eleigh

This will be my 10th Sober Xmas...so yes it is very possible

Read around and post as much as you like - there's a lot of hope support and understanding here

D
Old 11-21-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ELeigh View Post
Hello,

Thanks for reading.
ELeigh
I am new also im 18 days sober....i had diarrhea for 2 weeks,headaches, sweats,starting to feel better.
I wish you the strength to keep going we are all in this together
Old 11-21-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum ELeigh!!
Old 11-21-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!

A devoted AAer here. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself, after kicking and screaming for years that I would never go. I am 9 months sober today and will tell you that having just turned 40 this summer after about the same number of years of serious drinking as you, my life is infinitely better and saner, healthy and happy, than I could have ever imagined.

Feel free to PM me if you like. Look around the forums for those of us who are committed to AA, and there are also other programs like SMART folks here can tell you about. A program is key and there really is support out there.

Hope to see you around.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome E. Bump
Old 11-21-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the quick and warm welcome. I really appreciate it. I haven't been much of a sharer so this is even a bit hard for me, but its a step!

I look forward to looking around the forums and hearing more from all of you.