Notices

Intercepting the want for that first drink...

Old 11-20-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Intercepting the want for that first drink...

That's the hardest for me.
I have lately been afraid of seizures if I don't drink (watching too much reality tv) so my brain tells me to go ahead and have that glass of wine to silence the devil and to protect against seizures which I may or may not have.
I sit and think and contemplate about that first drink. I feel nauseous when thinking about that first glass of wine. But then the seizure fear sets in, so I have one. Then all bets are off. 1/2 to 2/3 of a bottle later, I am fuzzily happy.
Really, though, I don't know anyone else with the same struggle.
How do you juse say no to that first drink?
Old 11-20-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My mom and my brother and sister are all alcoholics. Functioning, my sister and brother are highly successful executives, yet we all drink at night.
My Dad died of liver cancer. My parents are European, drinking had always been a huge part of their....and my...lives.
Is it genetic?
Old 11-20-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sodifficult - welcome

If you're in fear of seizures it's really best to see your Dr - they can advise you on safe detox.

I found trying to mitigate withdrawal by drinking is pretty much perpetuated the problem.

A lot of us do have a prior history in our families, but thankfully that doesn't mean we can't get sober and stay that way

Support really helped me say no more. I'm glad you found us. Use us when you need help

D
Old 11-20-2016, 09:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sodif,

Like Dee said..Dr is the best route.

Imo...if you are only drinking a bottle of wine a day...you are not going to seizure.

I would drink that much routinely off and on...

But, that is only an educated guess.

It is very hard to quit drinking w out some horrible reason...e.g. dui, domestic issue, health scare..etc.

I started having panic attacks that seemed to be increasing in frequency and strength.

Now I have on going ptsd...from those attacks.

It has been very difficult, I crave daily, but I will not give up my health and sobriety to be a drunk.

It doesn't make sense to me any more.

Once the physical addiction is gone, which takes about a week, the mental struggle shows through.

This lasts forever.

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome, sodifficult. It can't hurt to see your dr, tell them of your goal to quit drinking and take it from there? I did a medically supervised detox and was good to have someone to call in case things got a little too "real".
Old 11-21-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

its the 1st drink that gets us drunk

we cant get drunk without the 1st drink

my choice is between miserable unhappy drunken drinking and all the tragedy it brings

or

1 drink

Old 11-21-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Sodifficult View Post
How do you juse say no to that first drink?
Which one of the things in the following list is special, unlike the others?

1. I want to throw my stapler at the boss's head.
2. I want to run idiot drivers off the road.
3. I want to see if the hot chick's skin is as soft as it looks.
4. I want to drink alcohol.

I want to do them all, but I also know they are all bad ideas. Perhaps amusing for an instance, but the side effects would be intolerably grave. (not to mention the moral/ethical issues.) So I don't do any of them.

None of those things in that list are special. If you believe one of them is, you are likely addicted to it.

How do I just say no to that first drink? The same way I keep my mouth shut at work, my car in my lane, and my hands at my side when the hot chick is around. I choose not to do it.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

You can say no in a lot of ways. If outright refusing that drink is so terrifying (it's not really once you get the hang of it), why not instead say yes? Say yes to waking up not hungover. Say yes to remembering what you did last night. Say yes to regaining some self respect. Say yes to having some peace of mind. Say yes to regaining a healthy body and mind. Say yes to having a life worth living, with your allotment of joy and happiness.

It's one or the other for people like you and me, and it will always be that way. It really is a simple choice. I know you can make the right one.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tell me the times when you DON'T fancy a drink?

I don't fancy it after a cuppa tea. Or with supper or watching telly. What about you, let's get there first...
Old 11-21-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There are many techniques to resisting that first drink, and I would say that none of them are "easy", which is what makes sobriety a challenge in the beginning. The key is to accomplish saying no to that first drink. Many people have a list of things they did, my list was this" anything to avoid that first drink. For me it was reading primarily, but I literally would do anything but drink. Even go to bed early.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

SoDifficult - you say that you don't anyone that has the same trouble as you - guess what you do now.
We all would love to be able to just have that first drink, but that is the problem. After one glass, I will always drink to way beyond fuzzy. I made up all sorts of reasons why I needed that one drink, but the fact was they were just excuses.
I'd go and see a doctor if you are worried about seizures, but know there are people like you here and we get it. Please keep posting.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sodifficult!!