Notices

Question....

Old 11-18-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question....

Hi everyone,
I usually post down in the substance abuse forum, because even though I am an alcoholic, my issue right now is with hydrocodone and benzodiazepines. I have no problem admitting I am an alcoholic and drug addict. My problem has been admitting to others, and especially myself, that I can't quit the pills by myself. I thought I could hide in my house for a few weeks, let the worst of detox pass, and move on with my life.
But, that is not the case. I found SR because I was so sick with withdrawals that I was on the web looking for help and advice. And, thank God I did. SR has been wonderful, and the people here are amazing, but still it wasn't enough. I finally had to admit to myself that I can't do this alone. I get clean for only so long, and it's so painful, that I give up and go back to using. That happened this time, too.
So, I got myself into outpatient rehab. I am pretty sure I probably need inpatient, but my ins. won't pay for that. My appt. is on the 30th, and I am really nervous cuz I don't know what to expect. They said group therapy and NA meetings, an addictions counselor, and a therapist, whom I have already met with twice and like very much.
Anyway, the reason for this post is because I have a question.....And please don't laugh at me or think I'm dumb, because I am the queen of stupid questions, but I was just wondering if anyone has gone through outpatient therapy, and what their experience was like. Group therapy, too. I have 2 of them I am supposed to go to, and I am a serious wallflower, so this makes me so nervous. Do you have to talk if you are shy and don't want to right away?? And do they make you take meds if you don't want to?? And, is outpatient rehab just as good as inpatient?? Cuz I feel like this is my last chance, and I don't want to blow it. I really need this to work. My life has become completely unmanageable and overwhelming, and I seriously need outside help.
So, any advice or experience, no matter what it is, would be so helpful. I just am feeling scared and unsure, and I could use all the encouragement and helpful, kind words I can get.
Thanks, guys, for everything. Sorry for the long winded post.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

No experience in outpatient. Just want to wish you luck. I hope you won't let fear rule the day. I think if you go into this with acceptance that this will provide you a solution to your addiction, then it will.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My problem was (is?) alcohol, although I did lots and lots and lots of drugs. I drank and did drugs for 40 years. Then I went thru a 6 week outpatient program. They required breath tests every day and urine tests a couple times a week. Group 'sharing' was required, but the counselors were tolerant, not pushy or in-your-face. It was a good experience ... however, when I got back out in the real day-to-day life-on-life's-terms working world, I started drinking again, slowly and 'controlled' at first, but it quickly got out of control. I went back for another 6 weeks, and afterward, did the same thing. I absolutely couldn't afford any more 'treatment', even with insurance, and I went downhill bad.

I finally hit my inner-self bottom ... real ugly ... and it was only then I agreed to actually WORK the 12 Steps of AA. I struggled real, but the WORK of doing the Steps brought about a miracle in me that I could not have conceived of.

I am now 3 years completely Clean & Sober.
RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE ... and I KNOW U can B 2
Old 11-18-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The great benefit of any intensive therapy, in or outpatient is that it gives you the opportunituy to deal with pressing issues and find your feet, find a basis for starting a long term recovery. But it is not a cure, it is a short term thing which comes to an end and eventually we have to step out into the real world and be adults etc.

My experience was like RDBplus3. I did the therapy thing, left and got drunk. I did the inpatient thing, left and got drunk. I did the AA thing of developing a new way of life, and found permanent recovery.

What you do to sustain your recovery after therapy is the important thing.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

when I got sober I was doing both outpatient( 3 times/week) and AA meetings, plus reading the big book. I cant recall how long I was doing the outpatient_maybe 2 months ish?- but I started realizing I was getting more from the meetings and the big book of AA than I was outpatient. I dropped the outpatient, kept going to meetings and worked the program, mainly because I read ALL of the promises that could happen if I worked the program.
one thing I got from AA that I didn't get from outpatient was being around people who had been in my shoes and had recovered from alcoholism.
nothing against outpatient here. it works for some, but it just wasn't enough for me.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You don't need to be afraid....but I get it, fear of the unknown. Remember, the other patients are there for the same reason you are. And the people that work there are there to help.....there probably isn't much they haven't already seen or heard.

The deal with any treatment program? You get out of it what you put in. Your honesty and willingness to do whatever it takes to stay sober, and accept that your life is not manageable will make treatment much more effective. So if you put little in, you get little out and visa versa.

No you don't have to talk. But again, sharing is important. Just be patient with yourself. Remember that your problems and challenges aren't unique. You may find once you take a chance and open up, you won't be able to stop

No, they won't make you take meds. Don't even know why they would. If you believe that you suffer from depression or bipolar or some other mental illness that might benefit from meds then you should see a psychiatrist. Otherwise, no one can make you do much of anything.

Good luck and take this time to really learn about addiction and better yourself.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, you guys, for all the info and encouragement!! I read through all your posts more than once. They helped a lot. Now, I have a better idea of what I'm getting into, and that helps a lot. The unknown can be super scary.
I absolutely plan on putting my whole heart and soul into this. From all your posts, you all had one thing in common....,You all said you get out of it what you put into it, and I intend to put everything in that I've got. But, I will try to be realistic, too, about my expectations.
Anyway, thanks again for answering my question. I do feel better now. Less afraid.
I'm ready.