Notices

I'm baaaaack!

Old 11-17-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm baaaaack!

Hey there everyone, just wanted to check in after being gone a while. I have been sober again for 9 days and right in the thick of the annoying emotional and energy variations, as well as the good old foggy brain. However, this time I wasn't drinking nearly as much (2-3 glasses of wine per night, every day to every other day), so thankful for a bit easier step down.

I've been struggling with alcohol for many years, first binge drinking then mostly a heavy daily vodka drinker. It's been my "medicine" for an underlying anxiety issue I've had since the 1980's as a teenager.

I hit a wall about 2 years ago when my anxiety came crashing through and I was basically in panic mode for over 2 months, not being able to sleep and barely making it...this ultimately caused hospitalization.

Despite my few relapses since that time, I feel like maybe this time I can lick it. My natural anxiety has been mostly under control with an SSRI and I can sleep a lot better. While not an excuse by any means, I do think my underlying foundation is much stronger and able to weather the post-drinking crap we all experience.

Just wanted to share; hope everyone is well!
Old 11-17-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back and Im glad you are here and working on your recovery again. It's good that you are having success with your anxiety because I know that is something that many of us use alcohol to deal with. I hope you continue to read and post here.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Plure,
Just wonderin, have you ever read the story about Rowland Hazard, one of the pioneers before AA, that lead to the evolvement of AA coming into being?
Old 11-17-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RDBplus3 View Post
Hello Plure,
Just wonderin, have you ever read the story about Rowland Hazard, one of the pioneers before AA, that lead to the evolvement of AA coming into being?
I think I recall his story, unless my mind is playing tricks on me...it's been a while since I read the big book, was it talked about there?
Old 11-17-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back Plure! Ya, sounds like you weren't drinking that much when you quit last, but if it was a problem, it's wise to quit before it gets worse. I hope to read more from ya!
Old 11-17-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Plure
any ideas on what you're going to do differently this time

D
Old 11-17-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Nice work on reaching 9 days sober, Plure. I used it to cope with anxiety too (or so I thought). In the end it had made everything so much worse. The fog will life. You're doing great.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA Member

glad youre back!
Old 11-18-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back Plure
any ideas on what you're going to do differently this time

D
I think I'm going to focus on not having that first drink after being sober for a while. Throughout the past few year I have thought to myself that I can have a glass of wine (hey, it's not 80 proof vodka, right?) and enjoy only it periodically without it turning into a habit. Unfortunately that's not the case, even with an overall lower consumption rate than before.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a good start - support's important too so if SR is your only support, use it - even when things are going well...it's good to get into the habit?