Notices

Weekender Thread 17-20 November

Old 11-21-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Good morning and happy Monday everyone.

Petals, I hate that uncomfortable feeling when your eyes keep straying to "THAT GLASS." ugh. I'm glad that you managed to enjoy the evening and stay away from the alcohol.

LadyB, I'd have a whole lot of thinking going on if someone who is still married, but estranged from their husband, wanted me to set them up on Match.com. Out of the frying pan, into the fire? It's great that you set boundaries for your visit.

Looking forward to a short week at work with attendant long weekend ahead. No Christmas shopping for me on crazy black Friday. Not unless I follow through with my plan to drop items at the charity thrift store and browse the shelves afterwards. Although, that thrift store is sometimes a madhouse.

Mera, how was the party?

Sao, bundle up. It's cold and dry here. Winter coat weather.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Good question! How did the party go, Mera?
Old 11-21-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Evening everyone

It is cold and damp here Ruby but I will be warm enough thank you Ruby - i doubt London cold is anything like as cold as Midwest cold

LadyBlue your friend is possibly just wanting make a point to her estranged hubs and so wants others to know about it

I am still at work and for a change so is co worker Dizzee, her current air of martyrdom would rival Joan of Arc
Old 11-21-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

My rash on my arm seems to get worse on the days when I'm very stressed.
I had booked up the theatre list for tomorrow and e-mailed it to everyone who is supposed to get a copy. All going well until one of the nurses phoned me and said "you know there are 7 patients on this and only one theatre?" I told her "yeah because more than likely the overnight patients won't get in due to lack of beds and the last time 2 patients were cancelled last minute and theatre ended at 11:00 instead of 1 PM". She just laughed and said 'we will see what happens". So I was panicking about who to cancel. Patients get angry after waiting so long for surgery. So the girls advised me to phone the doctor to let him know. He called me back from the other hospital and I read it to him and asked who will I cancel? He laughed and said "just leave it. It's fine and if we go over time so be it". He is in great form since he got back from vacation. I need a vacation.

The others were saying he seems quite fond of you. Them the other one said "I'm on beds tomorrow. If you want me to phone anyone in the morning for you just let me know. We have each other's backs around here".
Her husband is not well and I've been doing some typing for her. When I handed her a pile of letters she said "I owe you big time. I'll get you a coffee on Friday". I told her there was no need because she did loads of my typing my first week when I was new and a little afraid of my doctor. Then she laughed and said "and now look at you. You have settled in so well and are part of the furniture now".

After so many years of being on the outside looking in, I'm now a part of a team and I have formed bonds and friendships which I yearned for all those years.

Rash or no rash, life is not so bad. Hope I still have a job tomorrow
Old 11-21-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

That's fantastic, Tetra.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Evening Weekenders!!

Been watching a lot of documentaries this evening that have been on for the 25th anniversary of Freddie Mercury passing away in Nov 1991.

He'd have been 70yrs old this year, it's always a Sober reminder of our own mortality I guess but it's been great enjoying the work of a genius who went too soon, I've learnt soo much I didn't even realise.

Here was his last ever video, and very fitting:

Old 11-21-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

That's great news Tetra!

It turns out I won't be going to my friends tomorrow night. I thought it kind of odd that we've had no contact in a while and out of the blue I get messaged to help her in getting onto Match.Com. In fact, I am so naive. The initial message hardly seemed to be in the manner that she writes.

I'll give you all 3 guesses as to why she texted me last night and the first two don't count. Yup, she was drunk.

I didn't really hit me until I get a two word text from her today. "Wednesday cancelled". I texted her back and asked if she was ok. She said she was but she's been having some really hard days which resorts to a whole lot of drinking. I told her no judgement on my part and I'd be here (no alcohol involved) for her when she needs me.

Then..............(to myself) I silently thanked her for reminding me of yet another reason I don't drink anymore. Oh, the horror of having to read those texts in the morning. So glad I don't ever have to worry about that again!
Old 11-21-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

You might like the 'Queen Forever' CD for Xmas PN - three new songs from tracks Freddie put down in the 80s - and a lot of remastered hits

D
Old 11-21-2016, 11:16 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning,

I'm glad you feel like part of the team at work Tetra. It is goo to know our efforts have not gone unnoticed

It was a good reminder LadyBlue, I hope your friend does something about her drinking

I heard an interview with Queens drummer Roger Taylor the other day in which he said that offstage Freddie was very shy. He also said many of the acts for Live Aid were drunk during rehearsals which is why they were no good on the day (he used a different word than "drunk")

Recycling day here. I don't have much waste but I feel obliged to stay here for a while as there is a crazy guy who is always up and about 1st thing who just randomly shouts things at people. I think he is harmless but he scares some people. He must live nearby I guess
Old 11-22-2016, 12:25 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Goat and Cat

Hey, did you know there was a proposal over on 24 hour thread??

Old 11-22-2016, 01:48 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

sniff
Old 11-22-2016, 02:39 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

That's excellent news! Congratulations are in order for Venuscat and Goat!
Old 11-22-2016, 04:16 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Mr

Originally Posted by Trees39 View Post
Hey, did you know there was a proposal over on 24 hour thread??

Thanks.

Just sent my congrats to Suze (venuscat) and Nick (goat)
Old 11-22-2016, 04:32 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Mr

Wanted to share this ; Im coming up soon on 2 months (again).
I drank/drugged once since june, quite happy actually (one week out of nearly six months)

However i seem to be replacing booze with an eating disorder.
My doctor told me stop eating between meals and snacking... it might sound dumb but i cannot stop stuffing myself especially evening and night time after work... Since june +10Kgs

Anyway experience anything like this in early sobriety ?
Old 11-22-2016, 04:38 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Wanted to share this ; Im coming up soon on 2 months (again).
I drank/drugged once since june, quite happy actually (one week out of nearly six months)

However i seem to be replacing booze with an eating disorder.
My doctor told me stop eating between meals and snacking... it might sound dumb but i cannot stop stuffing myself especially evening and night time after work... Since june +10Kgs

Anyway experience anything like this in early sobriety ?
It's your body trying to replace the sugar you got from alcohol. Eat fruits instead of heavy sugar/carb snacks.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks for the "heads up"Trees

theVman it seems to be quite common to quit alcohol and increase snacking, it was certainly the case for me. It does ease up after a while.

As Beelover says at least you can make sure that most of what you snack on is healthy
Old 11-22-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've started the new thread early to help people with the whole Thanksgiving Thursday deal

Join us here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ember2016.html