Notices

My story

Old 11-15-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My story

Hi all, just wanted too share some of my story and hopefully get some feedback as I'm sure I am probably not the only one with this kind of problem

So anyway first of all, I want too say that I am an alcoholic! Now, I have been told before that, if alcohol is effecting your life then you are an alcoholic so here I am admitting it

Basically as far back as 13 years of age (I am 27 in 3 weeks) I have been very fond of a drink. It started really young where I would need too drink a nagin of vodka per night (on school nights) just too not be "bored" or so I thought. Fast forward a few years and I start working as a lounge boy/waiter in a pub and then as a bartender for numerous years. Not the best of choices or line of work but hey. Anyway, my problem is not that I need too drink on a daily basis nor really on a weekly basis, the fact is when I start, i don't know when too stop and I will go anywhere after sensible people go home, in order too continue drinking or looking for a party. Too cut a long story short, I lost 3 jobs over this, didn't stop but sunday night was the last straw, I was due too bring my daughter too school monday morniing, and couldnt come home at a reasonable hour until the party stopped and therefore could not bring her and had too make other arrangements. This was the turning point for me, whatever about my selfishness around other people, I do not want too let her down. My Fiancee was about too leave with my daughter and I have somehow, although I do not deserve it one bit, been giving one more chance too change and too knock the booze, so here I am. I plan on being an active member on this forum and hope that I can here some of your stories and we can laugh about how sick we all where in time too come.

Sorry for the big post, possibly not the correct place for this and if not then I sincerely apologise, I am just inding my feet with the forum and felt I needed too get this off my chest, cheers,

Glenn
Old 11-15-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Me. Glad you are here. Kicking alcohol out of your life is a good thing. How about putting together a plan?
Old 11-15-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Welcome, Me. Glad you are here. Kicking alcohol out of your life is a good thing. How about putting together a plan?
Hey thanks, I do plan on some sort of plan, really want too get a whole new wardrobe, get a couple of things with my teeth fixed etc and basically just live a much better, happier life, without being depressed after every bender. Will take time as will cost a bit of money but something too work towards
Old 11-15-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My story is crap. I could not remember the number of times I tried- with entire sincerity to give up drinking. For my wife. For my 2 sons (now men), for my home and career. Not because I wanted to for me- but because I owed it to them.
Didn't work.
I lost my marriage. I lost the respect and any contact with my sons. I lost my wonderful house and career. I nearly lost my life through horrible burns 4 times in 1 night a year ago. I was then homeless. Now am sober/safe/healthy and fighting for what I have- starting with life. It is easy to plan for life when you have nothing. I am fighting for life, for my (so far) successful sobriety and my future.
For me.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
My story is crap. I could not remember the number of times I tried- with entire sincerity to give up drinking. For my wife. For my 2 sons (now men), for my home and career. Not because I wanted to for me- but because I owed it to them.
Didn't work.
I lost my marriage. I lost the respect and any contact with my sons. I lost my wonderful house and career. I nearly lost my life through horrible burns 4 times in 1 night a year ago. I was then homeless. Now am sober/safe/healthy and fighting for what I have- starting with life. It is easy to plan for life when you have nothing. I am fighting for life, for my (so far) successful sobriety and my future.
For me.
Really appreciate the sincerity of your post and I really hope you can make amends one day with your loved ones. Onwards and upwards from here, stay strong
Old 11-15-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're in the right place. This is something you CAN do. Recognizing now that it's affecting your daily life and relationships is a good first step.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Glenn (me) - it's so good to have you with us. You posted in the right place - and no need to ever apologize to us. We all understand what you're going through.

At 27 I was still making excuses for my drinking. I knew in my heart I should stop. Instead, I went on trying to moderate for many years. I hurt and disappointed so many people - and almost lost my life. This won't happen to you. You can get free.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Glenn!!!
Old 11-15-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Glenn!

((Phoenixj))) thank you for sharing your story!
Old 11-15-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, Glenn! I know Dublin well.

I'm 25 and I am sober a little over 8 weeks. I've wasted so much time drinking to fight that 'boredom' and bad feelings of depression and anxiety. I wish you the best of luck with your fight and I look forward to reading your posts here!
Old 11-15-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support and wisdom here can help you get sober for good. It takes some effort and making changes, but it's worth it.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Welcome Glenn (me) - it's so good to have you with us. You posted in the right place - and no need to ever apologize to us. We all understand what you're going through.

At 27 I was still making excuses for my drinking. I knew in my heart I should stop. Instead, I went on trying to moderate for many years. I hurt and disappointed so many people - and almost lost my life. This won't happen to you. You can get free.
Yep i hear you, somewhat in a weird way, I am glad I just about messed literally anything I had left up as it has giving me the kick I needed too not just change for anyone else but too change for me. Thanks for sharing that and I wish you all the best
Old 11-15-2016, 07:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bikube View Post
Welcome, Glenn! I know Dublin well.

I'm 25 and I am sober a little over 8 weeks. I've wasted so much time drinking to fight that 'boredom' and bad feelings of depression and anxiety. I wish you the best of luck with your fight and I look forward to reading your posts here!
Cheers, means a lot, and congrats on the 8 weeks, wish you many more and I will be here with you for sure
Old 11-15-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. I hope the support and wisdom here can help you get sober for good. It takes some effort and making changes, but it's worth it.
Thanks, yes the support already has been phenomenal, I never expected such nice people, it truly is amazing how different we are without the alcohol and how caring we actually can be I'm ready for the struggles, no gain without pain eh? Or otherway round? IDK
Old 11-15-2016, 10:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Glen and welcome to SR - stick around as it truly is that great place you've already recognised with people around 24 hrs a day 7 days a week, nothing is to trivial and everybody genuinely wants to help, being prepared to also help yourself as you sound determined to do is also a great place to start.

As has already been said recognising that this is affecting your family and those who care and wanting to do something about it is commendable and keep that focus in mind as you go forward - remember what is on the line and what you hold dear, I should have given up like many others many years ago when it was apparent that there were issues but I was too selfish and addicted too, fortunately I too have an amazing wife and daughter who luckily despite all the pain I caused stuck around long enough for me to sort myself out, no matter how many times I was pushed towards sorting it out for them it really came down to me needing to / wanting too and realising I had too, it truly has to come from within and a realisation that change is possible and change is actually really really rewarding - plenty of people are not so lucky, don't be one of them mate life this side of the fence is so much better believe me and this is coming from someone who spent 30 years doing what you've been doing, once that first drink kicked in all bets were off and away we went without a care or a thought for those at home, just full on into oblivion and then the guilt and wondering what the hell we had done - trying to make up for mistakes and making their life hell due to our actions - crazy but true.

Good news is you don't have to live like that and keep feeling like you do right now - you've made a good start by finding us here and reaching out, as others will say make a recovery plan / join the November class (I joined last November and this was hugely beneficial in helping me cope - plenty of others feel the same benefit) / find local meetings be it Smart / AA - give them a go and don't rule anything out - read as much as you can and stay close to this place.

Your daughter is going to spend her life trying to make her Daddy proud - do this for you and make her proud of her Dad - that relationship you have with her will absolutely flourish believe me - no matter how good it maybe now (at times) being present / truly present makes everything so much better with those we love.

Good luck mate - look forward to seeing you around.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Glenn

D
Old 11-16-2016, 12:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great Post! You can do it I feel sure..
Old 11-16-2016, 12:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My suggestion is to give it all your effort to get sober now. Why wait until something seriously destructive happens?
Old 11-16-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedAndy View Post
Hi Glen and welcome to SR - stick around as it truly is that great place you've already recognised with people around 24 hrs a day 7 days a week, nothing is to trivial and everybody genuinely wants to help, being prepared to also help yourself as you sound determined to do is also a great place to start.

As has already been said recognising that this is affecting your family and those who care and wanting to do something about it is commendable and keep that focus in mind as you go forward - remember what is on the line and what you hold dear, I should have given up like many others many years ago when it was apparent that there were issues but I was too selfish and addicted too, fortunately I too have an amazing wife and daughter who luckily despite all the pain I caused stuck around long enough for me to sort myself out, no matter how many times I was pushed towards sorting it out for them it really came down to me needing to / wanting too and realising I had too, it truly has to come from within and a realisation that change is possible and change is actually really really rewarding - plenty of people are not so lucky, don't be one of them mate life this side of the fence is so much better believe me and this is coming from someone who spent 30 years doing what you've been doing, once that first drink kicked in all bets were off and away we went without a care or a thought for those at home, just full on into oblivion and then the guilt and wondering what the hell we had done - trying to make up for mistakes and making their life hell due to our actions - crazy but true.

Good news is you don't have to live like that and keep feeling like you do right now - you've made a good start by finding us here and reaching out, as others will say make a recovery plan / join the November class (I joined last November and this was hugely beneficial in helping me cope - plenty of others feel the same benefit) / find local meetings be it Smart / AA - give them a go and don't rule anything out - read as much as you can and stay close to this place.

Your daughter is going to spend her life trying to make her Daddy proud - do this for you and make her proud of her Dad - that relationship you have with her will absolutely flourish believe me - no matter how good it maybe now (at times) being present / truly present makes everything so much better with those we love.

Good luck mate - look forward to seeing you around.
Wow, what an awesome post, I cannot express in words how thankful I am, or you taking the time too right all that, actually brought a tear too my eye , Really glad you are free from it, and if I'm ever half the man you are, I will be truly honoured. Will get on joining the November class and take a look whats around my area
Old 11-16-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Guys thanks for all the wonderful words and comments, no words can describe how grateful I am, you all rock