Notices

I am dying.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am dying.

I got drunk at a school party which I attended with friends. I got drunk, threw up and was embarrassed the following morning, my friends however, still hold the mistake against me. For over 3 months now I have not been able to understand myself. It's like I am disoriented, but I am not sure. I have not been able to sleep well either. These friends of mine constantly mock and taunt me at school. I am finished!
It has started to affect me physically, my chest and my head are in serious pains.
This is the worst thing that has ever happened to me.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that you feel embarrassed, but no one needs to die from embarrassment.

Tell them you are tired of rehashing it, and laugh.

It's part of growing up to make mistakes that make us uncomfortable. Heck, I still do dumb stuff - just not drinking and throwing up. (anymore)

Don't do it again, hold your head high and don't let small people try to knock you down.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Emmanuel1994 View Post
I am finished!
the good news is that there is a solution

when i was finished i made a decision to follow direction

meetings
sponsor
steps
service
higher power

God bless

Old 11-15-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, and welcome.

Has this happened to you before (the drinking to excess and throwing up I mean)? Will it be a problem for you to not drink any longer? Or is it the embarrassment that's doing you in?
Old 11-15-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Gosh I remember when that happened to me in high school. I'm 43 now and I still remember that incident like it was yesterday. It will get old after a while. They will find someone new to taunt. It is a lesson for you and you will hopefully prevent that from happening again. Although, it did continue to happen to me through life and even to adulthood. *sigh*
Old 11-15-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Emmanuel,

These don't sound like the greatest of friends if they are tormenting to you to the point that you feel disoriented and are having sleeping problems. This is bullying, plain and simple and you do not need to put up with it. Trust me, I know that is much easier said that done.
I can guarantee you if this lot keeps on partying and drinking that someone else is going to have too much and throw up one of these days. the best way for that to avoid being you is by not drinking at all. If they tease you about that you respond with a quick and sharp "had enough of it last time, don't you remember?" and stay firm in and proud of your decision not to drink. You will save yourself a world of trouble by becoming a non-drinker now- tons of money, embarrassing incidents when you have had too much (it happens to almost everyone), poison in your system, health issues from drinking, potential alcoholism. Alcohol is marketed to be this great part of a social life but alcohol is entirely not necessary to carry on an active and happy social like. You can do anything a drinker does, only healthier and better!
There is a lot of peer pressure to drink at school and at work or in other environments. You have to stay firm and keep your head held high. You don't need alcohol to be cool, you are miles beyond them by having had made such an important and brave decision.

As for your current situation and these "friends" harassing you about a stupid mistake. Can I just say it like it is, be really honest with you here? It sounds utterly ridiculous! Ridiculous that they would continue on about this after three months. But I know it is not ridiculous to you. You are having to live with it. I also know full well that that feels like having been bullied and shamed myself. It is hell to live through and very real and there is nothing ridiculous about it in the moment to moment.
What can we do to help you help yourself here? First and foremost know that suffering over something like this is not shameful. Know also that a lot of people throw up when they drink. Alcohol is hard to process for the body and it depends on a lot of things- your height and weight, how much you ate that day, your hormones, your current health, the outside temperature, how fast you were drinking. You might have thought you could handle what you were drinking but your body is stronger than your mind and when it has had enough, it has had enough. What you need here is a way to deal with this bullying and start to move past this incident yourself. Can you think of some ideas or talk to us more about what is going on so that we might be able to suggest something?

My initial suggestion would be to tell these guys to stuff it next time they bring it up. Maybe offer a new social activity for the group for the coming weekend, something non alcoholic related. Suggest a new movie and going to see it in the cinema adding something smart "it sounds like we need to make new fun memories as this same, old, boring event keeps getting brought up."

In closing, think about if you really want these guys as your friends. Like I said before, they don't really sound all that great if they are spending so much time and energy hurting you. that is not what real friends do.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like a lot of the suggestions that have been put forth here, Emmanuel.

I'm glad you're here. This a really good forum.

SR offers not only help and support in stopping drinking, but also encouragement in finding out who you really are. That might seem irrelevant to the immediate crisis, but it's useful and true in the long run.

If you stick around and get involved here, you won't regret it.

When you put aside drinking and dedicate yourself to what really matters, you'll develop great strength.

Jerks like them won't be able to touch you.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been there and done that many times..PLEASE don't drink, for some people its not for them. Too destructive and addictive..
Peer pressure is difficult but try and stand alone, don't be the drunk in the corner.
Wishing you well.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wishing you well and welcome! This to shall pass and people will forget and if you stop drinking now you have a good chance of liking yourself in the future so secure about who you are things like this won't face you. Now if you keep drinking prepare yourself for bigger and greater embarrassment. Sighs I could write a book. Take care.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Endeavour - I'd try and put it past you - if you're surrounding yourself with people who can't and especially if theses people mock and taunt you, then you need some new buddies.

If this was not just a one time thing and you need help to stop drinking, you'll find a lot of support here.

D
Old 11-15-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Emanuel,

I had a similar experience in HS. My boyfriend broke up with me and my good friend and I convinced someone to buy us vodka. We held our noses and chucked. It was winter and we were freezing, so you can imagine the impact the vodka had when we went into school. We were both on the basketball team and actually thought we could practice.

I woke up in the middle of the. Igor to find out we had both thrown up in the coaches office, were slung over someone's shoulder and carried out to our parents cars. My father was at work, and my mother didn't drive at night, so she had to call a neighbor to drive to the school to get me.

Going back the next day was awful, I can still remember sitting in the principals office with my parents. (Ironic that I am now a school principal).

Anyway we both ended up with nicknames after the incident and learned to laugh it off. I wish I could say I never drank again, but I wasn't smart enough to stop.

It will pass, laugh with them, and eventually something new will be around to entertain everyone.

However, be smarter than me and stop drinking. You are so young, and can have many years of sobriety,

Glad you are here.

❤️ Delilah
Old 11-15-2016, 09:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all.

I am beginning to feel better, i am happy i joined here. I am just surprised that this bad feeling has stuck on me for 3 months and it has taken a lot from me. I used to write computer programs which always made me happy, but now it no longer interests me. Nothing makes me happy again.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

do you think you might be depressed? Do you see anyone about that?

D
Old 11-16-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Emmanuel, it might be something more than just this. Sometimes a bad event can trigger a depression or an anxiety disorder. There is help, I would start with a school nurse or counselor or a doctor or therapist. If you don't know where to go, look up a crisis line in your area or call an urgent care or hospital. They will have resources. There is a way out, and you can return to feeling good.

You're a smart person and you can find your way out of this feeling. Don't let it continue, please. Call and talk to someone and keep talking to us. What else is going on? Family issues? Homesick? Lack of social interactions?
Old 11-17-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I will be going to the hospital next week
Old 11-17-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Emmanuel, good for you for reaching out and getting some help. I am sorry that it requires a hospital visit, which I am sure will be a little bit scary for you, but they know what they are doing and will be able to get you on the right track. Be totally honest with them about everything.
Care to share more or talk about anything else? Are you worried about your drinking or more about the thing that happened with your friends?
We're all for you if you need to chat about that or have any questions about alcohol and the effects it can have on you. We are all here trying to get sober, but from the sounds of your post you are just starting to find out the nasty effects alcohol can have on your body. Is there anything else you have questions about?
Sending you a big, big hug. I will be following this post closely, I do hope you check back in. Remember this place is totally anonymous and you can be open here.
Take care.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to read that too Emmanuel

D
Old 11-17-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're glad to have you with us, Emmanuel. I hope you'll keep us updated on what's happening. You can rise above this and get on with your life.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Emmanuel, good for you for reaching out and getting some help. I am sorry that it requires a hospital visit, which I am sure will be a little bit scary for you, but they know what they are doing and will be able to get you on the right track. Be totally honest with them about everything.
Care to share more or talk about anything else? Are you worried about your drinking or more about the thing that happened with your friends?
We're all for you if you need to chat about that or have any questions about alcohol and the effects it can have on you. We are all here trying to get sober, but from the sounds of your post you are just starting to find out the nasty effects alcohol can have on your body. Is there anything else you have questions about?
Sending you a big, big hug. I will be following this post closely, I do hope you check back in. Remember this place is totally anonymous and you can be open here.
Take care.
Thanks.
I'm seriously getting better.
I have just realized that my so called friends are the wrong people for me.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emmanuel1994 View Post
Thanks.
I'm seriously getting better.
I have just realized that my so called friends are the wrong people for me.
Yeah, I am pretty careful who I spend time with. It takes time to learn who to trust and who not to trust.

I'm glad you have plans to seek help. In the meantime, can you try to get a little exercise? A walk always helps me feel better - so does staying away from too much caffeine, and getting at least two good meals a day. A funny video helps a lot too.

Of course, alcohol increases the feelings of doom and depression, so I had to kick that old "friend" to the curb, too. I feel much better as a result.